Re: Accessive data usage on iPhone 5??!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that it is to see a higher data usage is upsetting my73dollys but we can help with an explanation. Since the iphone is a 4g phone downloading, uploading, and applications can be faster and have a better viewing experience than previous devices. What phone did you have previously? Are you  using any different applications or accessing another email?

Additionally, as stated by previous reps iOS devices have additional cellular data settings to turn off specific services:

Settings>General>Cellular>iTunes: This setting impacts the downloading of iTunes Store content. If you do not wish to download iTunes content over cellular, switch this setting to off.
Settings>iTunes and App Stores>Use Cellular Data: This setting impacts app downloads and app/content updates. If you don't wish to download apps or updates over cellular, switch this setting to off too.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
my73dollys
Contributor - Level 1

Hello, I purchased the IPhone5 & the Jet Pack at the same time last April.

I had never had a smart phone OR Jet Pack before. The data usage was fine

for about 4 or 5 months but then started using all this date in October &

still is using too much. I did purchase a new computer last month but that

shouldn't have caused me to use more data, especially since lots of other

Verizon users are complaining about the same issue. I only have 2

applications on my phone & have never watched videos or movies or

downloaded music to my phone. I use my computer for most all of my web

surfing. I did the recent update on my IPhone in October which was

suggested. Could that new update have been the cause? Please try & get to

the bottom of this ASAP.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
uwswoman
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue is so beyond insane ! Verizon needs to get their act together ASAP ! It's clearly an issue with how their service supports the 5. Why should we constantly be checking cellular data. Wi if etc? All they want to try to do is mask this problem with band aids. When I look at all these posts i can't see straight bc it's clearly unfair and a complete hassle !

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Accessive data usage on iPhone 5??!
my73dollys
Contributor - Level 1

I hope this problem gets fixed soon regarding excessive data use. I have to turn off Cellular & WIFi on my IPhone 5 when I am using my laptop with my Jet Pack. I wasn't told this when I purchased my IPHONE & Jet Pack at the same time. Then when I'm done on my laptop I turn my Cellular & WiFi back on. This is crazy. I don't have to turn off my TV or Landline Phone when I've used it a lot. Jet Pack is convenient for use away from home but it uses all your data from your IPHONE & Laptop if you have Cellular & WiFi turned on your phone. At least this is my observation. Please VERIZON, get it fixed. This isn't Obamacare I hope.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello to you my73dollys!

We definitely do want to get to the bottom of this right away! Ensuring your devices are using the correct amount of data is definitely important. I want to make sure we're reviewing the correct services.

When you review your usage via our Account Analysis: http://vz.to/14Ea6sh which device is using the majority of your data? What model is your Jetpack device?

Getting a new computer could cause additional usage on your Jetpack if automatic updates for your programs/operating system are on. A huge tip I personally do is to close out of all internet browsers and turn the Jetpack off when you're not using it.

The iPhone 5 did recently go through an update that provided additional enhancements to applications that may be causing additional data use. Please visit Settings > Cellular and under "Use Cellular Data For" turn off any applications you don't utilize.

Please keep me posted!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
my73dollys
Contributor - Level 1

Hello, I did the recent IPhone update on 10-14-2013, then had to purchase a

new laptop approx 10-25-2013 & there were updates on it done. I just went

to Settings & deleted some of the cellular applications that were turned on

as you suggested, so I will keep an eye on my Jet Pack to see if that slows

down any of the data usage.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

Just activated (11/8) a new 5c together with my wifes 4s on anew 2G plan.

FWIW this problem still persists.  If you don't MANUALLY TURN OFF CELLULAR DATA, apps will continue to gobble up data in the background EVEN IF you prioritize your WiFi, and completely shut down the App.

This is really stupid, it should be automatic... turn off all cellular data when merged onto WiFi.

This is my first smart phone, after YEARS of ribbing from my friends and family.  My old "dumb phone" suddenly looks a WHOLE LOT SMARTER than this.

0 Likes
wendyjo98

We have four iphones on our plan.   When all four of us had iPhone 4's, there was not a data problem at all.  When both of my kids went for the iPhone 5, the data usage was insane.  I had to constantly monitor the usage online and ended up with a 14GB plan.  Ridiculous!   This has been going on for months and we have tried all the tricks.   Not sure what is going on this month.  I decided to look at usage and there is one day left of this billing cycle and we have only used 6 GB.  What?  Could it be that something actually got fixed?   I just changed our plan to a 8GB but have this strange feeling that on the last day, they will find some glitch and throw all that "invisible" data back on to our account.  If THIS happens, I will definitely be on the phone requesting a refund on the overages.  I took a photo of it just in case so they can see what it showed me one day before.   The iphone 4's still use like .11 GB.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

This is definitely looking like the "cash cow" for Verizon and the APP developers... give everyone free apps and blindside them at the end of every billing cycle.

I am glad I checked my data carefully the other day on my new 5c.

My data usage has gone down significantly from the following actions:

-Delete ALL unused apps.  DONT HORDE apps just because its free (if you can really call it that at the end of each billing cycle).  Furthermore, only download the apps you really need.

-Turn off cellular data for apps.  Only activate cellular data as needed for each app, turn it off when not using the app.

I have also disabled the LTE function.  I don't know what impact this will have good or bad.  I will post back those results as I acquire them.  I have no date use recorded since turning off LTE ~90 minutes ago.

0 Likes
damon317
Enthusiast - Level 2

Switched carriers and uninstalled iCloud on iPhone 5c... Data usage appears more "normal" after burning through half the data plan in one night while on Verizon. Two other (Android) phones on the same data plan combined used less than 5% of that total usage.

0 Likes