5s using a lot of data ! Support offered no help!
Chris_R

Hey All,

I was just indirectly called STUPID by a Verizon wireless supervisor... I called to address the issue of my phone using a tremendous amount of data in comparison to previous billing cycles. I recently upgraded to the 5s about 2 billing cycles go, since then i have increased to almost 6GB the first month with the 5S and now on the second month have hit 90% data usage of 6GB in just 2 weeks. I explained to the rep that this seem to be an issue as seen on the forums and he responded " yea and you can probably find the release date of the iPhone 6 on the internet too" he then preceded to be extremely rude stating that i was wrong and you can't believe everything on the internet(I took down his name and employee number).  With my previous iPhone (4s) i never exceeded 4GB of data in about 2 years of owning it my usage habits have not changed since i have upgraded my phone. 

this data issue was brought to my attention because another issue...

I was very undecided about upgrading because Verizon wouldn't allow me to continue on my unlimited plan.

They claimed that i would receive 6GB of data for the same price as 4GB since i was going from the unlimited plan, as well as unlimited talk and text .  Since i never surpased 4GB of data in the 2 years of owning the 4S i decided that the unlimited data loss wouldn't affect me.  I noticed my plan wasn't adjusted online, it still said 4GB and 900 minutes but a Verizon rep explained that it would be adjusted as the the new billing cycle started. The adjustment was never made and the phone rep claimed that 6GB and unlimited talk and text was never available ,this is outrageous i was LIED to by a Verizon employee.

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: 5s using a lot of data ! Support offered no help!
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

My findings here...  There is a solution, you have to manually go in and deactivate all the automated cellular-LTE features and apps.  If you leave the phone at the factory default settings it will GUZZLE rampant amounts of cellular data all day and all night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

TripTech2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

The iPhone will initially use what seems like a lot of data as it pulls down data from background apps as well as exchanging backup information with iCloud on a regular basis.

Better to turn off push notifications for the apps you don't use much via the Settings applet, or just uninstall them.

You can also disable iCloud backup via its option in Settings, which might sound like a risky thing, but if you sync with iTunes regularly (wired or wireless sync), this becomes less of an issue.

Disabling other niceties like Location Services may also help curb the unit's voracious appetite.

This, of course, does not rule out the possibility that a software bug in iOS 7.x may be to blame.  In 2011 following the release of the 4s and iOS 5, and again in 2012 with iOS 6, multiple battery-draining and data-sucking bugs were supposedly splattered. For reference, the current release is 7.0.4.  You would do well to pay a call to the Apple discussion boards and report what you find there.  Perhaps you'll find a better answer.

Still, your best bet is to use WiFi when possible.

Jackayr

get wi-fi

0 Likes
skee801

It's funny that two of you indicated to use WiFi. My daughter just got the 5C and in 2 weeks, she has used 1 GB of data and she is on WiFi. When I called Customer Service, they told me that it doesn't matter if we are on WiFi or not, that we still get charged data...including Face-timing which is what my daughter uses a lot. That makes no sense. My 2nd daughter has an IPOD and Facetime's all the time. I'm not paying any data usage for her??? In reading all of these posts, it does sound like there is a bigger issue that is a non-user issue. Also, Chris, I'm not sure how you were "forced" to get off your unlimited plan. I still have unlimited data and Verizon has not forced me to switch over. They are however trying to sell me on moving over to the 6GB family share plan as it will save me about $20 per month, but now I am very hesitant of switching and upgrading mine and my wife's phones to the 5S knowing that there is a big data usage problem. I'm sure they are of no help so they can sell bigger data plans and make more money.

So, to confirm, if we are all on WiFi, should we be charged for any data usage? Also, the CS Rep told me to go to Settings>Cellular and turn off Cellular data. That will avoid my daughter for going over her limit as we still have 2 weeks left in our cycle. I will check out the video above as well posted by muvotx and see if that helps.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

I do.  I am on a wifi network 95% of the time.  If you don't manually de-activate cellular use as I show in my YT video, the iPhone 5/5c/5s will automatically prioritize the cellular network.  The phone does NOT automatically prioritize wifi over cellular... you have to do it manually.

0 Likes
5s using a lot of data ! Support offered no help!
Tabbygrey90
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have don't have that problem/issue. My WiFi AND Cellular is on all the time and when I hit a HotSpot, it asks me .... wants me to join, so I can pick and choose whether to go with my cell data or go WiFi. I haven't a problem so far about it chewing-up data. At home, it just goes to my home WiFi without even asking. Soooo............ I have a 5s............ interesting to read about this.   I want to know, DOES STREAMING my iTunes music via iCloud and playing/streaming iTunes Radio, eats up data????
0 Likes
Magpul83
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the 5s and use wi fi at home and try not to use much date when im away and don't go over 4gb....

baffle60

Interesting; thanks. Chunks of data are being "used" regularly, 2-3

times a day, even when the phone is turned off.

0 Likes
baffle60

Do me a favor and check your on-line bill for the data usage. We are

showing chunks of "usage" at regular intervals twice a day, say 10:27 every

morning and 4:18 in the afternoon -- even when the phones are completely

turned off. Have a look at your bill and let me know. I'm really curious.

0 Likes