blocking by the free service with iphone 4s
kaydotem

I would like to block a number using the free service. I tried it first on my work phone and it worked - and I was able to hear what it says. However I can't text from my work phone. What happens when you block a person and they text you? Do they know or receive a text message back?

Also, if you have an Iphone and are using iMessage, I heard that the blocking service won't work? Is this correct?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: blocking by the free service with iphone 4s
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct ... the blocks don't work on iMessages.  You could either turn off iMessages or I believe there's an option to force it to use only your phone number and not the Apple ID.

When a number is blocked, if the person has VZW service, they'll receive a red X and a message "Delivery failed. Invalid destination or service blocked at destination".  They also receive a text message alert  "You cannot send messages to destinations that are blocked by the account owner."  If they are a non-VZW subscriber, the message will appear as sent, but it won't be delivered.  For calls, they will hear "The number that you have dialed has calling restrictions that have prevented the completion of this call. Switch XXX" whether they have VZW or another carrier.

0 Likes
kaydotem

Thank you! The person I'm blocking as an iPhone, however I don't think they have iMessage on their phone so I'm hoping their texts are still blocked.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Not applicable

iPhone's all have the iMessage. It is controlled via Apple and not Verizon since it does not get charged as a text message against your Verizon account.

0 Likes
kaydotem

If they haven't upgraded their software for iMessage though they don't I would assume. This person has an iPhone 4 and hasn't upgraded their software. When we would text it always came through as a text and never iMessage.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Not applicable

Possibly. On my iPhone its under Settings-Messages-iMessage(on)

But the phone update is pushed to the device first as a notification. Or a person can do it manually. I would not count on that other iPhone user not having the feature. Just a thought.

0 Likes