Why can't I receive texts after switch from an iPhone to a non-Apple smartphone?
oct_valentine

On our last upgrade, my daughter switched from iPhone 4s to an HTC1, which she really likes. We did a reset on the iPhone and traded it in for $200.

Apparently iMessage was still on, despite the reset which caused the extremely irritating problem of her new phone not being able to receive texts from other iPhone users in her contact list.

I called Verizon 3 times and got three different answers. The last was apparently correct.

Here are the "fixes" we tried that DO NOT WORK or are undesirable options:

Have your contacts with iPhones delete then re-add you to contacts, selecting "mobile" instead of Iphone

Simply reboot your phone

Go to your iTunes account and deactivate the old  Iphone

Have your contacts with iPhones turn off iMessage

Have your contacts with iPhones delete any text threads with you in them

This is not a Verizon problem, it is an Apple problem. You must contact Apple.

HERE IS THE FIX THAT DID WORK:

text "stop" to 48369

you will get a text response from Apple verifying that your IMessage is turned off

reboot your phone

Hope this helps someone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't receive texts after switch from iPhone to non-Apple smartphone?
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Thank You oct_valentine

This is a common question that is posted in the community and hopefully people with the problem will have success with this approach.  I did locate this link in support of your fix

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-keep-receiving-sms-from-iphone-users-after-making-the-swi...

or Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Can't receive texts after switch from iPhone to non-Apple smartphone?
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Thank You oct_valentine

This is a common question that is posted in the community and hopefully people with the problem will have success with this approach.  I did locate this link in support of your fix

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-keep-receiving-sms-from-iphone-users-after-making-the-swi...

or Deregister and Turn Off iMessage - Apple Support

0 Likes