Re: Why buying the Verizon iPhone is a mistake
Abi
Contributor - Level 1

tim40 wrote:

You can buy the IPhone 5 when it comes out and have capped data, while I will have my IPhone 4 with unlimited data.

Yes, totally agree. This is one of the main reasons why I went ahead and bought one sooner.

0 Likes
mamarro
Contributor - Level 2

AND.....we can get our iPhone 5's too (as there are always ways to get upgrades when you are not supposed to....you just have to be in good with the Verizon people and they will work with you! lol) with unlimited data, as we will be grandfathered in!

0 Likes
mamarro
Contributor - Level 2

But.....I forgot to mention.....as I have been saying I HIGHLY DOUBT there will be an iPhone 5 on Verizon come summer.  Apple MAY release one still like they have the past 4 years, but I don't know how sure that is either.

0 Likes
kpanchot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Facts
1. Iphone 5 coming in june. Do you want to be the guy/gal with the old and slow phone in a few months? No.

I don't care I will buy the Iphone5 money is not an issue. Not a problem.

Apple releases a releases a phone practically every 7-8months to a year. No matter when you get an iphone theres going to be another phone coming out in a matter of 12 months or LESS by your logic no one should buy a new phone EVER lol
2. Hotspot who cares! I can pay $20 or less for this feature on any decent phone!

I don't really care about the hot spot either but I will have finally an Iphone on Verizons network after waiting for so long.

Ya no comment hotspot only has situational usefulness anyways.
3. Have an 'old' plan? Sorry, you have to sign up for a new and more expensive plan to get this phone!

Not really If I buy it the only thing that will change is the NE2 and I really didn't care about that anyways. I already pay 30 a month for data so whats changing?

Umm where are you getting your info? Verizon has the strictest grandfathering policies of any company for "old plans". If you have an unlimited data package for an ancient blackberry and get an iphone you keep it. if you have an old alltel plan with the smartpack(btw alltel is an old company that at&t and verizon both bought half of 3 years ago and at&t required them ALL to change plans and even purchase brand new phones the day of the switch) there are still verizon customer walking around with brand new iphones with those alltell plans right now. If you were told you had to change that was a particular store that didnt know what they were doing not verizon.

At&t looking better and better.

Never had AT&T but from millions of blogs I have read  about the company 7 out 10 hate it cause of the service. Once agian this is just blogs so.

Ditto.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Ironically... This conversation will pop up a year later when the iphone 5S is around the corner...

0 Likes
bad_apple

Your title is worded perfectly -why not to buy the VERIZON iPhone 4.  -but you missed a huge reason:

The version for Verizon is not global ready. That was a big surprise to me when i arrived in Germany with my new Iphone 4 -same as others I work with who use them all over the world- except I got mine from Verizon.

Why would Apple make different versions for different phone companies? Why would Verizon want a crippled version?

If it's a different phone, give it a different part number!

"Oh -you bought your LG405 TV from Best Buy? Well the Best Buy version doesn't get ESPN . . ."

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Probably because the iPhone 4s was released less than a year later...which IS global. It was made very clear that the iPhone 4 for Verizon was CDMA (the AT&T one was GSM). When you made your purchase, were you told incorrectly that the VZW iPhone 4 was global or did you just assume it would be despite the fact that anyone with an AT&T device had a GSM one while VZW had CDMA devices...and a few Global devices? And technically...they did give it a different part number/id...iPhone 4 CDMA's part number was different from the AT&T GSM part number. Example...the VZW part # for the 32GB is MC678LL/A. The GSM part # is different. But if you meant model #...they are also different. VZW's is A1349 and AT&T's is A1332. Nitpicky, I know...but it's the truth. I guess you mean it should have been named iPhone 4C or something along those lines...but since they obviously already were working on the 4s you can see why that probably wasn't something Apple was going to do.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon iphone 4 is global... It WILL work on any CDMA carrier not just in the US(there are 54 CDMA carriers in the world). So the rep didn't lie in a sense.

Anyway it doesn't matter anyway... If people want the 4 cheap they'll buy it. If they bought the 4 then chances are they'll be upgrade eligible when the 5 comes out. If you waited to the 4S then you can get the 5S when it comes out. There will be something better coming out. Buy something you can afford and does what you need.

0 Likes
sanford727
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everything you guys are complaining about is listed right on the webpage in plain text. I really think these forums are more of a bitch fest anymore than they are to help each other out. Are any of you customer service? No only that but if you ave such a huge issue with Verizon go to AT&T, Don't let the door hit ya. Enjoy shitty service. You get what you pay for.

bad_apple

At the risk of starting a tangent:

I went to the Verizon store and specifically asked for global phone, because my trip was short notice -no time to order one, so I asked for what they had in stock that was global ready.  Originally asked for a flip phone (as in just a phone), but she said none in stock were global. She said she had the iPhone 4 in stock, they just came in. I had been considering getting one since the field guys have used them for awhile and they all use texting -very tedious with old phone. So I went for it. She spoke about her trips to Europe, said to make sure when I travel that I buy global service a month at a time for best rates, etc. I had no reason to doubt it would be a global phone. No reason to doubt she had me set up for global access for a month. Never heard of different verisons of the 4 other than the 4s. The instore comparison between the two did not list global capability. The differences (to me) were forgettable and only seemed to be trivial stuff related to entertainment use. (8 MP camera vs 5 MP camera?)

The store treated me well, the lady did a lot to work a deal for me, she just made a mistake that has been very unfortunate for me. Verizon has agreed to take back the phone -so I don't mean this to be a rant against them or their people.  My original post contributes a strong reason to not buy the iphone 4 from Verizon -if you want global calling, buy the iphone 4 from At&T.

Yes, the rest was just a rant at what seems to me to be a crazy practice to disable a fundamental feature of a phone, and a bad marketing practice that Apple doesn't do a better job distuiguishing their product variations within their product models.

0 Likes