Iphone stolen abroad. Service suspended. Can I still remotely wipe?
redang14

My iphone was pickpocketed on my last day in Barcelona. I tried chasing the culprit through the Metro but ultimately lost him in the streets. A little bit traumatized by the experience once I got home (after filing a police report), I immediately took the necessary precautions e.g. changed all my passwords to gmail, fb, apple, etc. etc.

I didn't activate any service while I was abroad. I had the phone on airplane mode with wifi activated the whole time and only used it to take photos and GPS. With my phone passcode protected (not sure if I activated automatic wipe after ten failed attempts) and chalking it up as a lost I immediately used the "Find my Phone" app to erase my data remotely just in case. However, I also had Verizon suspend my service to prevent calls from abroad. I read somewhere that it might not be possible to use the Find my Phone app features if my service is suspended. Is that true? or can the remote wipe work via wifi? If not, if I reactivate my suspend will I be able to wipe it that way?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone stolen abroad. Service suspended. Can I still remotely wipe?
Not applicable

if you went to http://www.icloud.com and did the remote wipe as you said you already did it should have told you it was done successfully. This feature if registered with icloud can also pinpoint exactly within a few yards as to where your stolen phone is located.

Once you reported it to verizon as stolen the meid is listed and it cannot be activated on any service.

So it basically is just a huge annoyance and expense to you. However normally your renters and home insurance covers the loss as long as you have a police report. It may even have full replacement value so when you buy a new iphone the insurance will reimburse you.

Good Luck

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Elector wrote:

if you went to http://www.icloud.com and did the remote wipe as you said you already did it should have told you it was done successfully. This feature if registered with icloud can also pinpoint exactly within a few yards as to where your stolen phone is located.

It may tell you IF it was completed successfully, but if it fails, it may not tell you WHY it failed. If the phone is turned off(or no cellular and/or wifi signal available to the phone), a remote wipe WILL NOT successfully be completed until service(either wifi OR cellular) is restored to the phone.

0 Likes
redang14

Thanks for your replies!

I have clicked the button for remote wipe but my phone is offline since the cellular data is off. My question is if I already suspended my Verizon phone number can the remote wipe still work if they log onto a wifi network with my phone.

If not should I reactivate my service in the off chance they log onto a wifi network?

0 Likes
jondal
Contributor - Level 1

>Post deleted for cross posting<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes