Iphone 4s in europe- january through may
karabear

i want to take my iphone 4s to spain while i am studying abroad this semester.  i plan on getting another phone for local calls but still want to have the iphone to be able to connect to wifi.  Can someone help me if this is possible?  How do i make sure i dont get data roaming bills?  are there free video chatting apps?  can i still connect to facetime without getting charged for a phonecall if i am connected on wifi?  does anyone have any recommendations?

thank you!!!!!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Iphone 4s in europe- january through may
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You would incur roaming charges if you get phone calls and text messages in Europe if you don't add an international plan to your service on Verizon Wireless. I am not familiar with the specifics of the international plans offered by Verizon Wireless.

To prevent that you should put the phone on airplane mode and then turn on the wifi connection when needed.

There are two kinds of suspensions. Suspension with payment will not extend your two year contract with Verizon Wireless.

Suspension without payment WILL extend your contract based on the length of time you suspend the service. If your original contract expires in November 2012 and you suspend the line without payment for three months, your contract end date will be extended to February 2013.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone 4S is global ready. You can get the phone SIM unlocked before you leave for the trip. Then you can get a local SIM card over there.

I don't know all details so hopefully someone else chimes in with more details.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi karabear,

I can see how taking your iPhone to Spain makes a lot a sense. Using a local phone will definitely save you money in roaming charges. I have answered all your WiFi questions below, please review.

How do I make sure I don’t get data roaming bills? Simply disable data network on your iPhone. From the home screen, select Settings>General>Network>Select Cellular Data Off.

Are there free video chatting apps? Yes, Facetime is free when using WiFi. Other video chat apps like Tango also work fine on WiFi.

Can I still connect to Facetime without getting charged for a phone call if I am connected on WiFi? You never incur phone call charges when using any applications in WiFi (including Facetime).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I do. If you plan to use your iPhone 4S only for WiFi connections and want to ensure no cell phone charges will be incurred, you can suspend your cellular service while you are in Spain as this will not affect your WiFi connectivity. Voluntary suspensions are good for 90 days and we can process your suspension for a $15 suspension fee if you call 800-922-0204. You can process a 90 day voluntary suspension twice in a calendar year (total of 180 days per calendar year).

AntonioC_VZWSupport

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
karabear

Thanks!

Do I still receive calls and texts from the us to my regular number when connected to wifi? I wouldn't get charged extra right?

If I were to disconnect my service for 90 days, what would I be paying for on my plan? Is that breaking the 2 year contract?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You would incur roaming charges if you get phone calls and text messages in Europe if you don't add an international plan to your service on Verizon Wireless. I am not familiar with the specifics of the international plans offered by Verizon Wireless.

To prevent that you should put the phone on airplane mode and then turn on the wifi connection when needed.

There are two kinds of suspensions. Suspension with payment will not extend your two year contract with Verizon Wireless.

Suspension without payment WILL extend your contract based on the length of time you suspend the service. If your original contract expires in November 2012 and you suspend the line without payment for three months, your contract end date will be extended to February 2013.

karabear

If i do not disconnect my service for the 15 dollar fee...

If I am connected to wifi, do I receive texts messages? If so, do I get charged roaming for this?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

To receive texts, you need data turned on.

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/GlobalData/Europe/Spain.html

The link above shows all charges if you use the phone in Spain

0 Likes
detroitjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

It isn't necessary to put the phone in Airplane mode... and it would be impossible to place calls if it were. Simply go to Settings > General > Network and disable your data roaming and cellular data. WIFI will still work properly.

0 Likes
detroitjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

You will only receive iMessage texts, and only when you are connected to WIFI. If the service is suspended, 'normal' text messages will not be delivered.

0 Likes