How much will I be charged if I send in my iPhone 4 for an early upgrade with a minor scratch under the camera lens?
phiftyopz

Yesterday, I went in to my local Verizon store to get an early upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ from my iPhone 4. When I went in, the associate I was talking to asked to see my iPhone so he could see whether or not it was in good condition. He said that it looked like it was brand new except for a minor scratch right under my camera lens on the back of my phone. He then said that I would be charged for having the scratch on my phone when I sent it in to Verizon. When I asked how much, he said he wasn't sure. At that point, I told him I wasn't going to take the chance of getting charged a lot of money just for a scratch, so I told him I would look into it. So, how much will I be charged for the scratch if I was to do the early upgrade? It's barely a scratch, and it's not deep or long. Looking at it now, it looks more like a scuff mark than a scratch. It looks like it's only 2 - 2.5 cm long. Has anyone sent their phone in like this or similar to this for an early upgrade and know how much they were charged for it? I've been Googling for the past 30 min. and can't find anything.

Thanks!

Nick

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How much will I be charged if I send in my iPhone 4 for an early upgrade with a minor scratch under the camera lens?
Snn5
Legend

While a LITTLE wear is one thing, you might consider trying to sell the phone 3rd party to make some money towards the S6 rather than risk an unknown charge.

0 Likes
Re: How much will I be charged if I send in my iPhone 4 for an early upgrade with a minor scratch under the camera lens?
phiftyopz

The thing is, this is the only phone that I have, and I need a phone to stay in touch with my family and friends. Plus, even if I was to sell it, I would probably only get like $20 for the phone (I've already looked into that), which isn't even close to the price for the S6.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I say take the chance then.  You usually get the new phone and then send the old phone back.

0 Likes
phiftyopz

Well, my father's the one who pays the phone bill, and the tech said that someone got charged about $45 just because their charging port cover was missing. My father doesn't want to pay any more money than he already has to, since he just got an early upgrade on his phone as well.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It's a risk.  No doubt about it.

0 Likes
imc2
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may have already received an answer for this question, but I am just reading your post now. As I understand it, the Verizon "Trade-In" recycle program just looks to make sure the phone is in "good condition", which is defined as screen not cracked, no corrosion on the ports or missing parts, and the phone turns on and off. SO, you should not be penalized for some wear that does not affect performance? Also, the situation that you referenced; that is, a missing charging port cover, sounds like a different type of phone, as iPhone 4 does not have a charging port cover. Perhaps the $45 charge was because of missing parts?

0 Likes