Cancelling pre-order in hopes of in-store purchase...bad idea?
psewall

For someone who is stuck waiting until the 28th, should they ...

A) Suck it up and wait, at least you know you'll get it.
B) Cancel their pre-order and head to a Verizon store at 8 AM (or earlier) tomorrow.

Some details I am looking for...

1) How many phones (approx) will Verizon stores be getting?
2) If/when they sell out tomorrow, when will they next be available?
3) What are the chances my current pre-order ships out earlier than the 28th, like maybe the 21st?

I know it'll be next to impossible to grab one from an Apple store, but will it really be that hard to find one at a Verizon store, given there are so many more of them around?
I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cancelling pre-order in hopes of in-store purchase...bad idea?
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

psewall wrote:

B) Cancel their pre-order and head to a Verizon store at 8 AM (or earlier) tomorrow.

3) What are the chances my current pre-order ships out earlier than the 28th, like maybe the 21st?

I know it'll be next to impossible to grab one from an Apple store, but will it really be that hard to find one at a Verizon store, given there are so many more of them around?

it may take a day or 2 to reset your upgrade in the system

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

psewall wrote:

0 Likes
psewall

BTW, I know these details aren't really available.  I'm just hoping someone in here has the ability to predict the future.  Isn't there like, an app for that or something?  Otherwise, I'd welcome any educated guesses or informed predictions.

0 Likes
psewall

mdram4x4 wrote:

psewall wrote:

Ahh, well ok then.  If that's the case, I certainly don't want to mess around.  That would suck if I waited in line only to find out I couldn't upgrade.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

based on the last release, you should be able to find one

each store has its own stock

some stores sold out

some didnt

some store had lines, some didnt

with a little bit of legwork in your spare time you might find one

of course every location is differenent

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As far as canceling goes...we were able to do it for my mom in Feb. She ordered on the release day....then later that day I called the local store to see if they had any left. They did. We called VZW and checked with them if we canceled would we be able to immediately go in the store and purchase. We were told yes and given the option of letting them cancel or waiting until we got to the store and having them do it all at the same time. As long as the order isn't marked as "shipped" (even if it hasn't physically shipped yet) then they can immediately cancel the order. Assuming nothing has changed, this should still be true. We were in and out of the store with an activated iPhone 4 in about 15 minutes.

0 Likes
skibike
Enthusiast - Level 3
This is what I am planning on doing as apparently VZ has completely skipped over filling my order. **bleep** you VZ, I hope this isn't the start of a rocky relationship with you.
0 Likes
smitty97007
Contributor - Level 1

skibike wrote:
This is what I am planning on doing as apparently VZ has completely skipped over filling my order. **bleep** you VZ, I hope this isn't the start of a rocky relationship with you.

You could always try AT&T or Sprint.  No one is holding a gun to your head.

0 Likes
skibike
Enthusiast - Level 3

smitty97007 wrote:

skibike wrote:

You could always try AT&T or Sprint.  No one is holding a gun to your head.

Im already coming from ATT and Im stating that my first experience so far is not going well. You gun alalogy is a little dramatic. Yeah noone who has an unsatisfactory experience has had a gun to their head, but doesnt change the situation.  (Except for those that truly did have a gun to their head)

0 Likes
psewall

Just got off the phone with VZW rep and was told I can cancel my pre-order and it shouldn't cause any problems upgrading tomorrow.  My upgrade status hasn't changed, nor have I been charged for the phone since it will not be shipping out for at least another week or so. 

Also called the Verizon store, but they couldn't offer any info.  I think I just may head to the store in the morning and see what the line is like.  If I can get in there while they've still got the phones, I'll call customer service and cancel the pre-order.

If worst case scenario something goes wrong, I'm sure the stores will be re-stocked with more phones by or before the time I am expecting my pre-order to arrive.

0 Likes