Can't text sister, father, or other specific contact
ElizabethC

I have had my iPhone 4 for around 7 months now, and within the 2nd month of using it I was unable to text certain contacts in my phone. I did change my area code, and these numbers have the old area code. I have called technical support twice, spent 2 hours on the phone rebooting, backing up, and manually deleting these numbers and conversations and started fresh. The first time Verizon told me they had never heard of this problem and they would call me back, and never did. I tried calling them once more around a week ago, and they had me go through the same exact process again with no luck. They told me again they had never heard of this problem. They eventually said it was a problem with my device, and sent me a new phone. I just transferred my contacts and pictures to this new phone, and it has the same problem! I will get a message that changes the area code of my contact to the wrong area code, and it then tells me it's a land line. My roaming is on, my imessage is on... I would just really appreciate it if someone could actually give me an answer that will actually fix my phone. I have wasted so much time trying to resolve this, and calling tech support has gotten me absolutely nowhere.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't text sister, father, or other specific contact
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would verify that you have the contacts saved with the full ten digit phone number.

You might have to delete the contact first. With the contact deleted, send a test message to just the phone number. Then when you get a reply, save that number to your contacts.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Can't text sister, father, or other specific contact
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important text messaging is, ElizabethC. This is a very uncommon mystery, but I'm great at solving puzzles! Our friend Ann154 has an excellent idea to completely delete your contact and have them send you a text then save the number from the text. If the contact in your phone has become corrupt, transferring numbers during the replacement process would result in the exact same situation occuring. We want to make sure every contact is saved as the full 10-digit number, with the correct area code but no 1 before it. You mentioned getting a message that changes the area code of your contact... what error message do you see? How did you transfer your contacts to the replacement? Do the people you're having trouble sending messages to have iPhones as well?

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you with more details.

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes