Re: CTIA unlocking principles - vzw
Cactuscajun

I filed my complaint with the FCC immediately after I got off the phone with Verizon.

0 Likes
Cactuscajun

If you read the CTIA Article 12 carefully, you will see that 3 of the 6 principles for unlocking a phone were required to be implemented on May 11, 2014.  All 6 principles must be implemented within one year.  It appears that Verizon has not implemented any of the principles to date. It also appears that Verizon has not posted this info on their website as required nor have instructed their employees on this matter.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Wish you luck...  Sad to say FCC won't care...  Ironically the policy never changed for all carriers... It's no different than what they had before.  Some devices are exempt from the rule.  If it was retroactive it would have said so by the FCC.  It's no different than when FCC regulated that you couldn't unlock your devices.  Devices prior to that date could be unlocked by any means you picked.  Just as an example.

It's NOT retroactive, and  it doesn't go into FULL effect until FEBRUARY 11, 2015

On February 11, 2014, CTIA-The Wireless Association adopted six standards on unlocking into the CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service.  Implementation of these six standards by major mobile wireless service providers will give consumers greater freedom and flexibility while increasing incentives for service providers to innovate.  Participating wireless service providers will implement at least three of these six standards by May 11, 2014, and all of these standards by February 11, 2015.

yoavp77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sprint has updated their unlock policy to indicate that they do not commit to unlocking any of their phones that were sold before February 2015 - see http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html. I do not see a clear verizon unlocking policy anywhere.

Supposedly sprint claims to not have the technological capability to unlock older phones - sounds bogus to me (didn't they establish the locking requirements in the first place..?), but they are free to do as they please since they are voluntarily adopting these unlocking rules.

I wonder if the fact that the current fcc chairman is a former ctia CEO has to do with their refusal to regulate this sort of thing.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sprint and others don't want to unlock. By saying not unlocking before February 2015 just makes it a money maker to you the customers to buy all new devices.

The unlocking is via code from the makers of the devices. There is also unlocking web sites that may be able to do it.

You see the carriers VOLUNTARILY agreed versus government mandate. Its a game. There is no over-site, no accountability.

And it is doubtful even if unlocked it will work on other cellular networks. Or with limited use. What good is that. You want the device to work 100% not 20%

Good Luck

Not applicable
CitizenZ49

Clause 140, Paragraph 3,000:  Hey. It's not our problem.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ha ha ha ha

Got to read all them clauses!

Good Luck

yoavp77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found the following text on vzw's site but I must confess it's not completely clear to me:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html

"We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our Global Ready 3G phones, and the simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.”  If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (800)922-0204, for assistance.

The SIM cards used in our 3G Global Ready phones are locked.  By the end of January, 2015, we will unlock those SIM cards at your request once you have fulfilled the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement and your balance is current."

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's clear to me.

What don't  you understand?