CTIA unlocking principles - vzw
yoavp77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can the vzw 4s be unlocked for use on other networks now that the May 11th deadline has passed? I don't see anything about which principles verizon has adopted from: http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

Labels (2)
Re: CTIA unlocking principles - vzw
Tidbits
Legend

Did you read what you posted? If you met the conditions they'll unlock it. If you didn't no carrier has to unlock any device.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also more than likely it isn't retroactive. Any devices sold before the date more than likely exempt from following the rules. Much like the unlock policies prior to this one.

0 Likes
Not applicable
yoavp77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your comments. Perhaps I should clarify my question, a bit: I own an iphone 4S that is out of contract (fully paid for), and my account is in good standing. I have requested that Verizon unlock it, which they have, but only for international carriers (ie, it can be used with any GSM sim, as long as its outside the US). I would like to use T-Mobile or AT&T sim occasionally when I'm travelling, and it was my understanding that these set of new principles will allow me to do so.

@tidbits : Regarding exempt devices - Verizon still sells iphone 4S devices, so it seems reasonable to me that this policy should apply to new+old devices. If that is not the case, Verizon should clarify that - one of the principles Verizon has committed to is a clear and accessible unlocking policy.

@elector : Regarding the date where these policies go into effect - I believe the announcement stated that half the policies go into effect by May 11th 2014, and the rest should go into effect by February 11th, 2015.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It doesn't go by date of sale... Even if they still sell the device the 4S would be exempt. Much like the unlocking policy the was changed prior to this where devices sold after the regulation went live couldn't be unlocked without carrier approval. It isn't retroactive.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's actually the FCC is being clear. If it was retroactive then the FAQ would actually say so. Since it doesn't then it isn't.

0 Likes
Cactuscajun

I have 3 iPhone 4s' which are fully paid and off contract. The CTIA agreement went into effect on May 11th but there is no sign of that agreement on the VZW website thus no one can tell which 3 of the 6 principles from the agreement VZW implemented on May 11.    I called VZW today, May 12th, spoke with 2 different reps and they had no knowledge of the agreement and also refused my request to unlock the iPhones.  

Very poor customer service in my opinion, especially given the premium price which VZW charges vs their competitors.  Following my call, I received a customer satisfaction survey call from VZW.  You can imagine the rating that I provided.

My next step will be marching into a corporate store with CTIA agreement in hand and ask to have my phones unlocked.

If this is not resolved within the next week, VZW will certain loose another 4 phone family plan.

0 Likes
yoavp77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called VZW global support asking to unlock my phone for domestic carriers. The rep, initially, said that VZW's policy has always been to refuse these requests for 3G devices (though not for 4G devices, which are domestically unlocked by default).

I mentioned the new rules that are supposed to go into effect on May 11, and the rep put me on hold while he consulted other people. When he returned, he apologized for not being up to date on this - VZW is adopting new unlocking regulations that will apply to 3G devices. I asked for the exact wording of the new guidelines, but they were pretty vague about whether these will apply to some or all devices, and also regarding the timeline for when this should happen. I asked whether any information about this is available to the public on VZW's website, but was told that it is not.

I believe this means that VZW is not compliant with the CTIA regulations and I have already filed a complaint with the FCC - I suggest you do the same (File Complaint | FCC.gov), although I think VZW isn't really accountable since these rules are voluntary (pretty clever of them to adopt these voluntary rules before the FCC could actually force its own regulation).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

CTIA doesn't go into full effect until the end of the year... Like I also said it isn't retroactive...