Re: CTIA unlocking principles - vzw
Cactuscajun

Just wanted to provide an update to my efforts to get my iPhone 4s unlocked for other domestic carrier use.  On Tuesday May 13, I went to a corporate Verizon store where I did get some assistance.  After explaining the issue and showing the CTIA documents to one of the reps, he searched the Verizon Corporate intranet and a site he called "Info-Manager".   On the Info-Manager site there is a page which he showed to me on the computer screen showing that Verizon WILL UNLOCK the wireless 3G devices for other domestic carrier use which meet the conditions set in the CTIA code.  This page also provides instructions to the rep on the process. However, there is a gotcha on the iPhone 4s. There is a one sentence paragraph which states something to the effect that Verizon is unable to unlock the iPhone 4s at this time.  I emailed the Verizon Corporate President for my area and this afternoon received a phone call from someone from the executive office.  There was a request to additional information which I provided.  This matter is being looked into.  I will provide updates as I receive additional information.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's probably because it requires code from Apple in order to change how the device is unlocked.  So until Apple changes it then you are SOL.

yoavp77
Enthusiast - Level 2

the 4s is a world phone - it supports a wide range of frequencies and is physically capable of working on all the major us carriers. i think it's clear to anyone that any restrictions ("locking") that were placed on the phone by Apple were placed at Verizon's request. The fact that verizon doesn't have a way of unlocking the phone is entirely Verizon's own doing - they clearly did not request that apple implement a way to do this (I would wager that they specifically requested that Apple make this impossible or at least difficult).

This s no different than locking a simple feature phone, and asking the manufacturer to discard the unlock code instead of making it available to the carrier or the consumer.

The ctia was clever to adopt these voluntary principles before the FCC or government had a chance to regulate unlocking - this has given the carriers the freedom to interpret the rules as they see fit (verizon hasn't really committed if/when they will unlock certain devices, and sprint has actually announced it will not unlock any devices sold in the past).

Never again will I purchase a locked device. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

that doesn't matter... It's a LEGACY device like I said.  They don't have to unless THEY want to.  Anything going forward everything complies.  Much like the previous 2 laws that proceed this one.  They ALL were not RETROACTIVE.

knowitall2

If you read the FCC FAQ on unlocking some of these questions are clearly answered.

1. There are six standards Verizon (and the other major providers) have accepted. The first three go into effect May 11, 2014 and the last three no later than Feb. 11, 2015. The issue is that the providers can decide which three standards they will accept by May 11 (thus leaving them the final three they must enact by Feb. 11, 2015). From the replies and in keeping with Verizon's poor customer service it is clear they are reluctant to disclose which three standards they have accepted. But by Feb. 11 it will be moot all the standards will have to be in force.

2. It is retroactive in the sense the standards are absolutely clear. Every provider has to unlock a phone, any phone, purchased at any time as long as it meets the criteria of having  been fully paid and the service contract, however long agreed upon is now over. Prepaid phones are eligible to be unlocked no later than one year after activation consistent with time, payment or usage requirements.

3. Once your device (all of the above goes for tablets hooked up to cell service as well as phones) is unlocked it can be used on other networks if they have the same technology i.e. GSM, LTE, CDMA etc.

4. Once all the standards are implemented  (again by Feb. 11, 2015) all the providers will send notices to customers they are eligible for unlocking. Some may simply automatically unlock all devices remotely, others may have you jump through a few hoops. Also they can not charge customers or former customers for the service. But once you request to be unlocked they must unlock, provide you with instructions how to unlock it or initiate an unlocking request to the device manufacturer within two business days of your request.

The take away here is that while providers may be purposely or not offering up little in the way of definitive information now about unlocking your phone or tablet -- it is game over on Feb. 11, 2015. So be just a little bit more patient or as a previous reply said file a complaint with the FCC.

By the way all this comes from the FCC site and it is written in pretty clear language.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

knowitall2 wrote:

If you read the FCC FAQ on unlocking some of these questions are clearly answered.

1. There are six standards Verizon (and the other major providers) have accepted. The first three go into effect May 11, 2014 and the last three no later than Feb. 11, 2015. The issue is that the providers can decide which three standards they will accept by May 11 (thus leaving them the final three they must enact by Feb. 11, 2015). From the replies and in keeping with Verizon's poor customer service it is clear they are reluctant to disclose which three standards they have accepted. But by Feb. 11 it will be moot all the standards will have to be in force.

2. It is retroactive in the sense the standards are absolutely clear. Every provider has to unlock a phone, any phone, purchased at any time as long as it meets the criteria of having  been fully paid and the service contract, however long agreed upon is now over. Prepaid phones are eligible to be unlocked no later than one year after activation consistent with time, payment or usage requirements.

3. Once your device (all of the above goes for tablets hooked up to cell service as well as phones) is unlocked it can be used on other networks if they have the same technology i.e. GSM, LTE, CDMA etc.

4. Once all the standards are implemented  (again by Feb. 11, 2015) all the providers will send notices to customers they are eligible for unlocking. Some may simply automatically unlock all devices remotely, others may have you jump through a few hoops. Also they can not charge customers or former customers for the service. But once you request to be unlocked they must unlock, provide you with instructions how to unlock it or initiate an unlocking request to the device manufacturer within two business days of your request.

The take away here is that while providers may be purposely or not offering up little in the way of definitive information now about unlocking your phone or tablet -- it is game over on Feb. 11, 2015. So be just a little bit more patient or as a previous reply said file a complaint with the FCC.

By the way all this comes from the FCC site and it is written in pretty clear language.

It is NOT retroactive...   Much like the law that had unlocking devices except through carriers only was not retroactive.  Anything prior to the law going into effect were exempt.  Much like building codes prior to it being law are exempt.  You don't see buildings made in having handicap access from the point building codes made it required.  However if there was an remodeling then it must be put into effect.

yoavp77
Enthusiast - Level 2

heres a link to an apple thread showing that vzw has unlocked all 4s for domestic sims:

how to unlock iPhone 4s with verizon code | Apple Support Communities

UUnfortunately I no longer have my 4s, which I really regret, I loved its size, due to conflicting responses from vzw.

i just wanted to add that I'm especially frustrated at comments by ppl like @tidbits who post messages without really knowing what they're talking about and take a clearly anti consumer position. clearly a vzw employee.

Tidbits
Legend

Really?  Want to make a wager on if I am a Verizon employee or not?  I am willing to bet you a trip to Hawaii, and paid vacation.  If I win you'll have to send me to somewhere comparable.  Maybe in Germany where my brother is right now.  Maybe you need to educate yourself BEFORE being frustrated on a comment that is FACTS.  The laws are NOT retroactive and it's up to the manufacturers to code the device. If the manufacturer doesn't want to go back and redo the unlocks then they will not be unlockable.  So pester apple to go back and redo the firmware to allow DSUs, or get a statement from them they are willing to then you would have more leverage.  I wish you the best of luck, and I hope this educates you.

Much like Sprint which they said:

Sprint to Make All Devices Launched After February 11, 2015 Unlockable - Mac Rumors

In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service (“Unlocking Commitment”), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically.

So if it was retroactive then how can Sprint make a statement like that?  Even state any devices AFTER the date the law happens that's when they do it?  Why do new building codes not affect old building?  Same concept applies.

Like I said BEFORE...  It is up to Apple to retroactive go back and recode the firmware for domestic use.  Verizon can't do this...  Here's something that backs what I said... OTA are straight from Apple and NOT Verizon.

Ironically those devices listed that will get it automatically are already DSU due to block C rules.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/02/here-everything-need-know-about-unlocking-iphone-february-11.html

DSU capable devices will automatically receive an OTA update to remove the restrictions. However, apart from the new iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and the iPhone 5S — which will be receiving DSU support on February 19th