Re: new phone purchased from apple store and fully paid is locked
rcschnoor
Legend

@PawanGoyal wrote:

Thanks for your prompt help.

I upgraded my 2 devices on Verizon. I paid $40 + taxes for each device for activation. It means I am punsihed for upgrading my devices in Verizon and now Verizon got right to control my devices even they have actually no right on my devices.

No, it means you are paying $40 for the benefit of not having to take the SIM card out of your old phone and inserting it into the new phone. In the future, you should always purchase the SIM free version of the phone if you want to avoid this fee. Anytime you purchase a new phone with a Verizon SIM card included, it is no different than purchasing the device directly from Apple. Verizon has this "right" because your purchase included a Verizon SIM card.

PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a lot for very helpful replies.

I wish I have read these before my phone purchase.

In future, will always purchase the SIM free version of the phone that will always be unlocked.

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure of other service providers like T Mobile / ATT follow same.

I mean if they do also charge $40 and lock in same scenario.

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I learned a lot from here.

Majority of folks have no idea about it how to save activation fee and avoid lock in case they are purchasing a new phone at full price from a retail store to upgrade with same carrier. Even they pay full money for the phone, they are still locked for 2 months and can not unlock even after many requests to the carrier. Hard to undertand the real logic behind it (especially they do not unlock even after requests for a full paid phone).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PawanGoyal wrote:

Not sure of other service providers like T Mobile / ATT follow same.

I mean if they do also charge $40 and lock in same scenario.

I know AT&T has a Device Unlocking Policy that stipulates when the customer is eligible to unlock their device. They have also had this policy in place for several years longer than Verizon Wireless has been locking their devices. I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular have similar policies. 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/smb-wireless/KM1258553

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1008728

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much for your strong help.

I just checked on apple site and see following:

=============

Will my new iPhone be unlocked?

Nearly all iPhone models sold on apple.com and at the Apple Store are unlocked. This means they aren’t tied to a single carrier. The exception is when you buy an iPhone with AT&T Next. It will be tied — or locked — to AT&T.

Your iPhone will be unlocked when you:

• Choose any carrier and select One-time payment.
    • Choose any carrier and select Apple iPhone Payments.
    • Choose any carrier and either join or upgrade with the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.
    • Purchase a SIM-free model. This is like any other iPhone, just without a carrier nano-SIM card.

Your iPhone will be locked when you:

• Choose AT&T as your carrier and pay with AT&T Next.

=============

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on this information on apple site, my understanding is that if we Choose any carrier except AT&T Next and select One-time payment, phone should not be locked. 

Do you agree with it?

However Verizon locked my devices in this exact scenario.

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am working with apple that they need update their online notes to tell that phone will also be locked if anyone choose Verizon no matter even paid in full. 

0 Likes
PawanGoyal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks all for your time and strong help.

Talked again to Verizon on 10/4/2019 afternoon and they unlocked my new phones.

I will continue to work with apple so they need correct the unlocking information for Verizon on their site to help other coustomers like me.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@PawanGoyal wrote:

I learned a lot from here.

Majority of folks have no idea about it how to save activation fee and avoid lock in case they are purchasing a new phone at full price from a retail store to upgrade with same carrier. Even they pay full money for the phone, they are still locked for 2 months and can not unlock even after many requests to the carrier. Hard to undertand the real logic behind it (especially they do not unlock even after requests for a full paid phone).

The carriers indicate it is to help prevent fraud and the trafficking of stolen goods. This way, when new phones are stolen from stores and/or hijacked by employees, they cannot be sold as unlocked phones, but must be activated for a period of time on the carrier for which they were intended. I can't say how widespread of a problem this is or simply a method for a provider to lock a customer to the provider for a period of time, regardless how long that period is.

0 Likes