View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Just to dispel myths about OTA (*228) programming
thebeans

I'm not that familiar with the ins and outs of cell phone programming but I can tell you this for sure.  *228 can, in effect, "add towers" and improve reception!! The town where I work just recently got a cell tower.  I was able to get 1 bar of signal from a tower in the next town and sometimes, maybe, if I held my mouth just right, be able to make a call from the parking lot.    After the new tower (which I can see from the building where I work) was activated, everyone started bringing their phones to work and getting new phones and talking about the new strong signal from the new tower.  Meanwhile, I still had 1 bar.  Inside I had no service while others had great service.  I did some poking around and stumbled across the *228 Option 2 thing.  So I go out in the parking lot and try it.  It goes through its thing and I restart my phone.  Voila, I now have full bars in the parking lot and 4-5 bars deep in the bowels of the building.  So, again, this is new to me but I can say that it can absolutely help in the case of a new tower being put up.  Even if Santa Clause did say so :smileyhappy:

0 Likes