View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Pricing Confirmation of More Everything vs The Verizon Plan: Family Plan w/ 6 lines
racerboy999
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have a family plan on the More Everything Plan. I'm currently on a 4gb plan for $60, plus I've somehow added  2 x 1gb promotional data for a grand total of 6gb.

3 lines are eligible for upgrade. The other 3 got iPhone 6's last fall on 2 year plans. I'm paying $40/line access fee ($240).

That's $300 before taxes and fees. (~$330 in NJ)

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1) is there any benefit for me to stay on More Everything?

To the best I can tell, the answer is no.

If I switch to the Verizon Plan 6gb, I'd pay $60.

The 3 lines under contract will cost $40 each ($120).

The 3 lines eligible for upgrade will cost $20 each ($60).

We're talking $240 before  taxes and fees, $60 in savings.

Am I missing something here? Others in this board have alluded to an undocumented line discount that gets applied to phones no longer under 2 year contract, but I don't see that reflected in my bill.

2) Traditionally, at the 2 year mark, I was due for a phone upgrade with a $50 discount price. Does this apply anymore? What's the cheapest way to get an iPhone 6s Plus (128gb)?

Again, to the best I can tell, there's no discernible discount available on a new device anymore. No more benefit to holding out for 2 years.

I have a few options:

if I stick on More Everything:

1) Pay full price. $949 + $35 activation fee

2) 2 year contract. $499 + $35 activation fee. (hypothetically this means I'll be paying $40/mo line access fee)

3) Edge. $39, not sure about activation fee, I think $15 line fee (25 off). In addition, I'm not sure how this lives alongside my 2-year plan phones and off contract phones.

if I switch to the Verizon Plan:

1) Pay full price. $949. No activation fee. $20/mo line access fee.

2) Edge. $39, no activation fee. $20/mo line access fee.

So in summary, at least in my case:

1) it seems like a no-brainer to switch to the Verizon Plan. $60 savings/mo. In about 10 more months the 3 lines under contract will reduce their line access chargers to $20 each, so assuming I don't get any new phones or add any new lines, I'd be paying $180 + taxes and fees.

If I were to buy a new phone (outright), I'd pay the full price and I'd have a new device but still pay $20 for that line access fee.

If I were to use edge w/ the Verizon Plan, I'd pay $39/mo for the phone and that'd be added to my monthly fees. Again, my line access fee would be $20.

Labels (1)