View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Why does my LG Exalt regularly drop to 'Privacy Mode' and me and my caller only able to speak by pulling over and pressing 'OK' on the phone to switch it to a regular cell - not Bluetooth enabled at that point? Others have asked this but never gotten
Jallen2
Enthusiast - Level 2

It should be easy for you tech support people to find the answer to this problem . . . I did with some aggressive searching. This is a Ford SYNC and Microsoft issue. So you should rid your boards of all the frustrated users with Ford SYNC and Verizon by sending them elsewhere for the fix:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpnetwork/ford-windows-microsoft-sync/c4fd1a4b...http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpnetwork/ford-windows-microsoft-sync/c4fd1a4b...

<Here's a little more information on the issue.  I found this on Ford's website in a PDF.  It's a Service Bulletin.  Search Ford Sync tsb10-02-08.pdf and you'll find it.

In a nutshell, when communication breaks down, Sync defaults to Privacy Mode.  Ford indicates the phone is at fault but I believe both WP8 and Sync are at fault.
NOTE:

PRIVACY MODE MEANS THAT THE PHONE IS CONTROLLING THE AUDIO. SYNC ONLY MAKES REQUESTS TO THE PHONE TO TRANSFER THIS RESPONSIBILITY OR AUDIO TO SYNC. IF THE PHONE DOES NOT ACCEPT THIS REQUEST OR THERE IS A PROBLEM IN THE COMMUNICATION TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN, YOU ARE BY DEFAULTIN PRIVACY MODE.>

<I have looked at this issue on other forums and have a few thoughts to share. The problem appears to be that Ford and Microsoft WP8 use different technology profiles.  Sync doesn't get the info it needs from WP8 and defaults to privacy mode - which means you have to touch the phone in order to make it work. Either you:

1) manually dial (or speak into the phone after holding the windows button) when calling out

2) answer the incoming call manually on the phone 

3) answer the call through sync controls and then hold the phone to your ear in manual (privacy) mode for the remainder of the call.

The tech issue is that sync and the phone don't agree on how to hand the call routing.

The human issue is that WP8 is not a hands free device because you actually have to handle the phone. I am a Microsoft employee who just bought a WP8 and stopped using my Android and I'm thinking about going back to my Android so I can have legal hands free calling. >

0 Likes