View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Lack of Commitment and Poor Customer Service
rcschnoor
Legend

This is not an odd situation. MANY area codes are for international numbers. This is not an isolated location.

As to the CS agent not adding an international plan to your account, it may well have been when researching the number the CS agent realized an international plan would NOT reduce your cost to call this number. There is NO discount for calling Trinidad & Tobago(area code 868) whether or not you have an international plan. The cost is the same. Verizon simply charges a flat $1.49/$1.69 per minute for a landline/mobile phone call to area code 868 whether or not you are on an international plan. Adding the international plan would simply have INCREASED your bill by the monthly charge for the plan while doing NOTHING to decrease the amount you are charged for those calls.

With these charges in mind, I would find it more worrisome if my daughter was speaking with a person she met online for an AVERAGE of 1 hour/day for a 2 month period because it would have taken over 3000 minutes of calling time to accrue $7500 in additional charges.

I sympathize with your situation, but this may be a wake up call to more closely monitor you daughters online habits along with her phone habits before something more serious happens.

I would suggest placing an international block on your line to begin with.

Good luck.