View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Verizon does not allow MMS via WiFi? It has to be through Cellular Data?
Tacabron

Hello,

I recently had a rough month staying within my data limit, and just wanted to confirm a few not commonly advertised details that I experienced and wanted to confirm. I was very close to my data limit and turned off my Cellular data so that I would not have any type of usage other than Wifi when I am at home or at work. I was able to text call, and use the internet without a problem. I was at the doctors office, and needed to get some info online so I figured no big deal I will turn on my data, go online for a minute and then turn it off. As soon as I turned on my data, I received 24 images, and a whole lot of messages that just poured in from a group message of some of my friends that had been vacationing etc. I called to find out why I didn't recieve all of these images and messages while on my WiFi. In calling Verizon to find out, they said that you can possibly send images when hooked up to Wifi, but that you cannot recieve them. The server stores all undelivered MMS until Cellular Data is turned back on and then delivers them all at that time. I asked what if you do not want to recieve the undelivered MMS messages that have piled up because they would destroy my data usage. I was told that there is no way to have that not happen because then customers would complain that they were not receiving their messages. I was told that the best course of action was to up my data plan so that I do not go over.

I can not control people sending me images, although I can control how many I send. I would think that it would be designed in my favor to charge me data for the ones I send, and let the ones I get via WiFi since I can not control the quantity of those. Back when data was unlimited, and I only had a small portion of Texts allowance per month, I was told that if one of my messages does not go through data, that it will automatically be sent via text. Now it seems everything is completely the opposite since we are charged for data, and texts are unlimited.

My Questions is to find out if there is any plan on changing this policy of not being able to recieve MMS via Wifi, or is it here to stay?

Labels (1)
0 Likes