View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Poor Customer Service
wirelessCustomerX
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been an Alltel/Verizon customer for over 13 years.  I also worked for Alltel/Verizon for 10 years.  Recently, about 5 months ago, my son's iPhone was stolen.  We obtained an old slide-out style texting phone from a friend to replace his iPhone because we had recently renewed his contract and he wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade to another smart phone for quite a while.

Fast forward 5 months to today and I just realized we are still being charged for the data package for his texting style phone.  That equates to about $150 of services we did not use nor did we have any intention of using with a texting phone.  I assumed (incorrectly) that once I switched the phones on the account the data plan would be considered invalid and removed resulting in no longer being charged $30 per month for his line.  I had not seen a bill over this time period until recently (I was not in charge of paying this particular bill) and to my surprise we have been charged every month since May for a data plan on a texting phone!  Again, that is a total of about $150!

I called Verizon to figure out what we can do about this situation and left the conversation feeling VERY unsatisfied.  Basically, I was offered only a one month credit of the data plan charges.  I did not expect to receive a full 5 month's worth of credit, but I figured they would be willing to compromise and meet somewhere in the middle...not so!  They were adamant they could not accommodate me further.  I made it clear to them that we obviously had no intention to keep the data plan for a texting phone and that I was not presented with any option to drop the data plan when I made the switch.  I believe Verizon does not go out of their way to ensure there are services you no longer need when you switch devices.  I feel they count on customers not realizing this and paying for services they do not want and do not need.

I can't believe after being a long time customer and long time employee Verizon would not be more accommodating.  The other two lines on the account are eligible for new contracts and upgrades.  I will be seriously considering taking my business to another provider due to Verizon's poor customer service performance on this matter.  They are well aware they have taken $150 from me while providing nothing in return and they seem to be perfectly okay with that.  That absolutely disgusts me!  This forum will not be the only place I post this message.  I will make it well known their lack customer service and integrity by posting this message on other forums, blogs, emails to executives at Verizon etc.

I may not get financial satisfaction, but I will certainly get satisfaction through spreading this message!

Labels (1)