View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Verizon's recycle program is an example of the classic "bait & switch"
markpys
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife & I each had the iPhone 4S and decided to upgrade both to the 5S.  I took the phones to the local VZW brick & mortar store and was told the 5S was unavailable at that time due to being back ordered & heavy demand.  They appraised the two 4S at the store for $135 trade-in value and made a few comments on what great shape both phones were in.  We had screen protectors and outer cases installed the day we got the 4S' and treated them with care.

I explained that when I checked the recycle program at VZW.com, I was given a $200 value for each phone.  The rep at the store told me that was a limited time promotion and wouldn't be available for long.  He recommended I order the new 5S iPhones online and take advantage of the $200 recycle offer.

I ordered the two iPhone 5S' on VZW.com September 25th with the knowledge that they would not ship until Oct 21st.

Knowing that the recycle program had to receive my two 4S' within 30 days of submitting the recycle requests, I waited until Oct 3rd process the recycle requests online.  I was sent two emails from VZW, each proclaiming the trade in value of the iPhone 4S' as $200.

I received my two recycle envelopes from Verizon on October 8th and set them aside in a safe place until we received our new two new iPhone 5S.

On October 15th, I received an email notification from VZW that the two new 5S' had shipped.  I received them on Oct 17th and promptly activated them that night.

Also on Oct 17th, I deleted all the data from from both iPhone 4S and performed "Erase all Content and Settings".  I should also note that we never upgraded either phone to iOS7.  I left the two 4S plugged into the A/C chargers overnight.

On the morning of Oct 18th, I unplugged both iPhone 4S' and powered them off.  I followed the instructions to place them in their individual green ziplock bags and then into the individual US Mail envelopes provided previously by VZW.  On my way to work, I stopped at the local Post Office and placed them in the Dropbox inside the Post Office.

Today, Friday, October 25th, I received two electronic Gift card notifications from VZW at 5:42AM.  The value of each gift card was $131.

I did not receive any communication from VZW stating why I received $131 instead of the appraised value of $200 each.

At 8AM on Oct 25th, I called the VZW device Recycling Program at 1-877-247-3846.  After providing my two submission ID's, my email address, and my phone number, I was told that I should have received an email stating why I did not get the $200 appraised value for each iPhone.  The rep said their system had not been updated since the gift cards were just sent out this morning and she could not look up what the explanation was on my account.  I was given the choice to either call back later this afternoon or escalate the request to "support" and someone would call me back later today.

I decided to google the VZW device recycling program and the top 10 hits were from this forum where many other VZW customers were complaining about receiving gift cards for much less than their original appraised value.

My two iPhone 4S' were in EXCELLENT shape.  They both worked perfectly.  No problems powering on, no cracks or scratches in the glass, all the buttons worked, no water damage, and I followed the return instructions EXACTLY as they were described.

If my issue is not corrected by increasing my recycle amount to the appraised $200 each, I will be filing a complaint with the NYS Division of Consumer Protection at http://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/

It is apparent mine is not an isolated case and that many others are victims of VZW's bait & switch tactics.

Shame on you, Verizon Wireless, for treating your customers in such an unprofessional manner.

Labels (1)