View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Goodbye Verizon, Enough is Enough
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

I understand what you're saying about the "you get what you pay for" thing but I do think the law of marginal returns comes in somewhere.  Let's just say that Verizon has the absolute best network (which I believe many people feel that is the case).  If they doubled everyone's phone bills and said "yeah, it's the most expensive but you get what you pay for", they'd likely lose a LOT of people.  If they did it again the next month, they'd probably lose even more.  Now, just using ONLY the logic "you get what you pay for", you'd be stoked that they're charging more because you're going to get more back but that's not always the case. 

The truth is cell phone bills are very expensive and with Verizon being the most expensive, there are times you have to wonder if the extra money you're paying is really giving you THAT much better service.  As I've said before, I could take my 2 phone plan and go to a BYOP plan with one of Verizon's rivals and save literally $100/mo.  I can guarantee I'm going to lose some service but am I losing $100/mo ($2400 saved/contract) difference?  Somehow I doubt it. 

I'm still waiting for someone like Republic Wireless to change the way cell phone companies operate and force changes on the bigger ones but we'll see if that ends up happening.  If it does, I'm going to be happy to watch the USS Verizon crash right into that iceberg and sink into obscurity (ok, that probably won't happen, I just hate Verizon right now). 

Oh, and I've heard complaints about "loyalty" all the time, Tidbits has made many mentions of why people refer to this and I got something in the mail the other day and remembered why people talk about loyalty in terms of Verizon.  Their upgrades and discounts are called "Loyalty Upgrades" or "Loyalty Discounts".  So that might have something to do with it.  Just a random side thought.