View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Verizon, you've GOT to do something about spam calls!!
Didjit
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would disagree, glitchedpixel​, with a couple of your points. The FCC gave providers explicit permission to block robocalls etc. in 2015. There's currently no financial incentive for the providers to do anything about this issue. My point is that they're inviting the gov't to step in with legislation and meanwhile they're risking the cultural abandonment of voice calls (akin to how landlines are rapidly fading away). I only seem them responding to A) legislation, B) loss of sales, or C) unfavorable attention.

My other point is that I don't believe the "nothing can be done" argument. Verizon (or any other carrier) can start by ensuring all connections within their network are traceable. The next step is to track connections coming into their network. If a significant amount of those connections are fraudulent then that provider gets blacklisted. If the major carriers took this approach the rest would have to follow suit or else be cut off.

Finally, Caller ID filter is fairly useless these days. The spammers constantly change their spoofed numbers. We're probably more likely to be blocking someone we'd want to talk to than a robocaller at this point.

I don't think I'm the only one annoyed by these distractions and deceptions. My intent behind all this is basically option "C", above.

0 Likes