View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Will Verizon carry the BlackBerry Passport in stores and have demo units?
sourz

I am a mobile novice, but through some research and deduction, it seems like Verizon will carry the passport. 

the FCC filing for passport does not list CDMA, but lists LTE band 4, and 13. (4 verizon uses, and 13 it has been rapidly building up for the past 2 years).

according to fcc

FCC ID L6ARGY180LW Mobile phone with GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/1900, WCDMA/HSPA FDD 2, 4, 5, LTE Bands 2, 4,...

last week (aug 26th) Verizon announced that in the "coming weeks" it plans to roll out VoLTE which would ditch CDMA to carry HD quality voice on the LTE 13 (700 Mgz) band.

Verizon?s VoLTE rollout will kill off CDMA ? and allow unlocked LTE phones, too | ExtremeTech

Verizon Communications Inc. Finally Launches a High-Voltage VoLTE Service (VZ)

I can only assume that this means that they plan to introduce VoLTE along with the Passport, which is also launching in the "coming weeks".

Again, im not sure on this. Just my speculation. if true, great news. theoretically it means if a phone has LTE 13 band on it, we will be able to use it on verizon regardless of CDMA present on it or not.  i say theoretically as i dont know what restrictions they might put on it at VoLTE launch.

hope this gives assurance to verizon users like me, Or i might be completely Wrong.. lol

0 Likes