View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Bold 9650 and OS 6.0.0.222
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

I loaded the 6.0 OS that was leaked a couple of days ago to see what differences are between 5.0 and 6.0 OS.  It is like night and day.  Here are some of my findings.

The overal layout is nice.  Everything is customizable for the user to be able to navigate quicker and easily.  The biggest change is the web browser, in my opinion.  Everyone wanted a browser that was better.  RIM answered with the 6.0 webkit.  Pages load faster and more realistic like on a PC.  Users now have the option of multiple windows to move between web pages.  This is similar to Opera's browser.  A lot of users testing the 6.0 OS on the 9650 have stated they had problems getting the browser to work on the mobile network, only working on WiFi.  This was because of some software problems with the service book, but thanks to Driphter.com, a fix was found.  This problem will be fixed when the official versions are released soon by Verizon and Sprint.  Another big change is the signal strength.  A lot of Bold users complained that the latest 9650 release had problems with the signal dropping calls, especially while driving down the road.  RIM seems to have fixed that problem.  Another problem users commented on was the low volume of the ringer and some other sounds on the 5.0 OS for the Bold.  Mark that problem solved with 6.0.  The default ringer is very loud.  As far as battery life, I can not give a good answer yet because I just installed it less than 24 hours ago, so we will see.

So, there are a few of my observations of the latest 6.0.0.222 for the 9650 Bold.  I will remind you that running an OS that has not been officially released by a carrier,ie Verizon Wireless is not recommended, and may void your warranty.  At the least, if you ever had a problem, the first thing the CS reps will tell you to do is to install the latest official OS before they try to solve any problem you might be having.  I wanted to install this OS to become familiar with it so that when it is released I would be able to answer questions you might have.  Good luck, and thanks for reading this.  I hope this helps.

Doc

Labels (1)
0 Likes