View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Unwanted advertisement pushes...
SUNPORCH

I have spoken to a tech support representative on the telephone regarding the ocassional software offerings that are automatically pushed to my blackberry.  The problem is two-fold:

1)If the Verizon-Blackberry decision-makers have something to pitch to me, I think it is more respectful to do so via text the same as they do to notify me of any other account feature or update.  I do not like seeing icons for new applications suddenly appearing on my PDA at random times, regardless of the fact that these icons do not represent an expenditure of memory for my device but only a link to a website where I can install the application if I want.  I'm the kind of person that if I want something I will indicate it in no uncertain terms and every person should have the choice to refuse an offer.  If I want a new app, I'll go to App World and choose one.  2)The icons representing these new applications being pitched to me do not delete and that makes the whole experience more upsetting; because now I have icons that are useless sitting on my screen and all I can do with them is hide them (they're still partially visible after selecting hide)or move them to a folder other than the one responsible for what appears on the home screen.  These pushes amount to a kind of annoying telemarketing experience and I'd like some change implemented.  I'm a decisive person and like my things organized, this really cramps on that.

My proposed solution is also two-fold:

Well, this will probably really be an either or thing but, if Verizon and Blackberry (the people in partnership who decided I should have these non essential icons representing "possible" applications)must push these things to my phone, they need to: 1)include an option on the menu to delete the icons entirely or 2)have some kind of unsubscribe feature that gives customers the ability to "opt-out" of these pushes (following the logic of the National Do Not Call List).  Please do not interpret my comments here as a rage against people "just trying to help" or make things easier; it's just that to my way of thinking, the ability to choose is a basic right and the best way to help someone is to first make sure she wants the help.

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes