View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Tethering Mac and Blackberry (with Verizon as signal source)
psmith2383

When I got my Storm I was told by RIM that the big problem with tethering is Verizon's unwillingness to recognize the Mac operating system.   Those who own iPhones have tethering problems with AT&T but it seems that soon they will be set up to allow the iPhone to tether with both PC and Mac Users.  

How I got my Storm to tether with my Macbook Pro is a whole other story.  Mainly I had to get on Blackberry Storm and Mac owner forums and find someone who figured out how to make the current Verizon Storm Manager to work with a Mac.  It involves, as one of our group pointed out on this discussion thread, identifying the computer in the setup form as a Motorola Q, or something like that.  So it work perfectly since I got my Storm, but only by going into the back alleys of cyberdom and asking, "Hay, Mac, got a fix for me?" 

I travel a lot and am in places where I can't use WiFi or plug in so a tethering device is essential for me.  I do pay 30$ a month for this service to Verizon.  They know I'm tethering and are willing to take my money but they would not give me any help on how to set up a connection between my Storm and my Mac portable. 

I am not an iPhone advocate, nor am I particularly in love with my Storm.  But if Verizon doesn't work with Mac owners and support their OS on their phones when my two years are up, I'm jumping ship to iPhone and AT&T, even though at this time Verizon to my knowledge has the largest coverage nationwide.   psmith2383

0 Likes