View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Will Verizon release a patch for the recently announced vulnerability of Android phones to hacking via text?
derrydavis
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bump again. There should be a way to mark this sticky to keep it at the top of the topics list. I think this warrants full attention to the community.

To people saying 'have to wait on the vendor'. This is understandable but not what I'm asking for. I'd rather have a patch but I'm looking for an official statement from Verizon saying that 1.) they are working with the vendors x, y, and z to make a patch available. 2.) In the mean time we have a way to work around the issue and better protect yourself. Similar to the T Mobile statement. I don't think this is asking too much. No statement just adds to the uncertainty of the situation and will led to distrust of the company. 

Also, it's disingenuous to say 'carriers don't touch the code'. Technically they don't touch the base code but they have a say on the software package being released. Otherwise I wouldn't get crapware on phones I've rented purchased through the carrier. VZ Navigator, VZ Protect didn't't show up on a phone because I installed them. If they want to get a patch out quickly it can happen.

Thanks

Derry