View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: s5 lollipop update and draining the battery and slowing my phone down?
Migs_inc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Galaxy S5 on Verizon, and like a lot of others, I've had issues with the phone after the Lollipop update. Battery life reduced from about a day of mixed use to less than 6 hours, and Contacts crashed several times a day. After researching here and elsewere, I decided to do a factory reset. Basically, this worked.

Post-reset, battery life is back to normal. However, Contacts still dies every couple of days. And oddly, phone security flakes. I use a swipe pattern, and a few times every day, the swipe pattern requirement disappears (I can just randomly swipe to get access).

Before the factory reset, the "smart" version of me backed up everything to Kies and via Google's backup and restore. I tried to use Helium but it crashed repeatedly. After the factory reset, I tried to restore. The Google process immediately started downloading apps. Kies, basically, did nothing. I've used it before and it's hit and miss.

In retrospect, I would not have performed this update. Too much work for little to no functional value. Notifications on the lock screen are not that important to me, and otherwise, I can't see any meaningful changes. Looks like Samsung overrode some of the Material Design components. Example: no guest mode. I found a nice summary and discussion of what's missing on this Verizon update on...

Lollipop on the S5 - Pg. 2 | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5 | XDA Forums