View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Cloud sync is causing multiple instances of contacts
WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the response.  Verizon Cloud was down yesterday.  I learned that when I called tech support.  I find it odd that email/internet support didn't know that.

Anyway, that wasn't my question.  My question was "How do I fix the contents of Verizon Cloud so that only my Google contacts remain? "

Through a bunch of trial and error with Verizon phone tech support I learned the following (and my personal opinion is that Verizon Cloud is not ready for primetime):

1. The only way to delete contacts from the Verizon Cloud is to do it manually.  Even if you call tech support and they clear/wipe your Cloud account, your contacts will NOT be deleted,

2. If you have more than 1,000 contacts (which I did because Cloud tripled my contacts) they must be deleted in small groups.  If you select all, you will get a System Timeout error.  Once you have fewer that 1,000 you can select all of them and delete.

3. Cloud contacts are not actually synced with your phone, they are added.  I maintain contact lists in MS Exchange (work) and Google (personal), which I sync with each other and with my phone.  Any changes made to these contacts will be added to the Verizon Cloud, resulting in multiple records for the same person.

4. I was able to eliminate duplicate contacts on my phone by clearing out my Cloud account manually, then ensuring that ONLY one contact account (in my case, Google) syncs with the phone.  I then downloaded Contacts+, a third-party app, and merged all duplicates.

The phone rep said that Verizon is "working on" changing the Cloud so that it syncs instead of adds edited contacts.  I hope that is done soon - I think virtually all other database and "cloud" programs have been doing that for years.

0 Likes