View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 lollipop update error
stef7
Master - Level 2

delacruz.

This is in general a peer-to-peer forum, and I'm merely trying to help you as an end-user like yourself... I'm cutting to the chase. I'm giving you the truth as others have experienced it. I'm also giving you options... first trying stuff that's simple, and working your way to the more complex to bring your device back to a state it is usable.

Don't confuse a low-level cache clear with the ones you've been doing. They are not the same.

And when I was referring to a "clean" phone, I should have written, an almost unused, close to factory state device. A Factory Data Reset wipes memory, and if you think about it, most of the testing they do of these updates are against devices that don't have much on them. Once you install stuff and uninstall stuff, they are no longer "clean" in the sense that their storage has been manipulated.

I'm really sorry your device isn't working properly post update. Yes the update manipulated your phone. However, there were things you could have done prior to the OTA that would have increased your chances of success. Unfortunately, the carrier, Google, the OEM... none of them tell you that a Factory Data Reset prior to taking the OTA is a requirement. Because, well, technically, it is not for the entire population. Unfortunately, you and the way you've used your device probably put you into a portion of the population that results in problems. You are not alone.

I was sincerely trying to help you. Apologies you found my post of no value.