View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Droid Razr M: KitKat update problems
stef7
Master - Level 2

I had some hiccups when I got the upgrade to my LG G2. I know others have had problems with their KK updates, on Samsungs and even HTC.

I believe the KK upgrade, while in the ideal should leave the phone running perfectly under the new operating system will potentially fail because of the variation in how people use their devices and what they've downloaded, and the fact that some memory isn't initialized properly when the new OS loads onto the device. This is true regardless of phone manufacturer, OS upgrade, and even carrier. I think this is a reality with Android.

I think the only option is to perform what is called a "Factory Data Reset". But first you should backup any important photos, music, or videos, or other downloaded files. You should also jot down where you've placed icons, and even the settings for things like mail (incoming and outgoing server).

After an FDR, you'll have to do some work to get your device back running to a state you are comfortable and familiar with. In my experience, doing maybe 10updates over the years on 4 Android phones, about 40% of the time I didn't need to do an FDR. 60% of the time I did.

It is also possible there are some bugs in the new software load, but a good many of these odd behaviors, across a range of devices (LG, Samsung, Motorola, HTC) occur because people did not perform an FDR following the update.

HTH.

0 Likes