View discussion in a new window

Replying to:
Re: Malfunction at startup on Eris
sledgeahmr

I just thought I would contribute to this issue, as I too have come across this behavior and although the posted solution seemed to fix the issue, the fundamental problem was not likely a single buggy application that caused this problem. In fact you will probably run into this behavior again when you install additional apps, turn off the phone and restart it. Here's the issue:

Keep in mind, I have spoken with both HTC and Verizon technical support personal and neither of them had a clue in regards to resolving the issue. Unfortunately both HTC's and Verizon's support assistance led me down a path to a hard reset and complete rebuild, ultimately I reset it four times before researching and understanding the underlying issue. (very frustrating to say the least)

On start up, various processes (i.e. com.process.* etc.) need at least 60-70mb of free internal memory space in order to successfully start all the services that correlate and enable data, voice, etc. to work. If your internal memory does not have at least that amount, your phone upon start up will pop various force close error dialogs for the above mentioned processes.

So the fix: Donโ€™t install so many applications as to take the internal memory below the 60-70mb range.

On a side note, I have to say this is a truly a horrible design flaw that could have been avoided by simply reserving the 60-70mb of internal memory for the boot process of the phone. At the very least a warning dialog could have been used to notify the user that there is not enough internal memory to install the app, once the 60-70mb range is reached. However, I have to say I Love My HTC Eris and the underlying Android OS!

Hope this helps to prevent someone from hard resetting and having to rebuild the phone.

0 Likes