Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,762 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

dexman's Posts

Arris would be the manufacturer. The company acquired Motorola's set top box division before Arris itself was acquired by Commscope.
It seems like the change in equipment (the ONT?) also resulted in a change in the cable television package. A Verizon agent can check to see what, if any, account changes were made.
What is the make & model of the router and where was it purchased from? 🤔 
If the location is in Washington DC, Verizon Repair would be a starting point. If the property is in the state of Washington, Verizon sold off it's network in the state a long time ago. For that, d... See more...
If the location is in Washington DC, Verizon Repair would be a starting point. If the property is in the state of Washington, Verizon sold off it's network in the state a long time ago. For that, determine who is the local service provider (Frontier, CenturyLink, Consolidated...) and contact their Repair Department. 
Two questions to get the ball rolling: If you have any local friends or neighbors that subscribe to Fios, can they check to see if they are seeing the same problem that you do? 🤔 Can the error cou... See more...
Two questions to get the ball rolling: If you have any local friends or neighbors that subscribe to Fios, can they check to see if they are seeing the same problem that you do? 🤔 Can the error counters & channel stats be checked (while tuned to channel 576) to see if the STB is indicating that something is out of whack? 🤔
Which model STB(s) is/are being used? 🤔
If this is the loss of a channel from a Fios cable package, Verizon has a Message Board where it lists channel changes and the packages affected: <Settings> Message Center. A notification about the... See more...
If this is the loss of a channel from a Fios cable package, Verizon has a Message Board where it lists channel changes and the packages affected: <Settings> Message Center. A notification about the channel being dropped might be there. 🤔 I'm in the Boston area so that particular channel is not available up here.
It can be difficult to determine if coaxial cable was properly prepped before the connectors were applied. While shorts and incorrect length "stingers" are easy to spot, it is impossible to see if th... See more...
It can be difficult to determine if coaxial cable was properly prepped before the connectors were applied. While shorts and incorrect length "stingers" are easy to spot, it is impossible to see if the cable's shielding was properly prepped before the connector was applied.
In addition to Clem's advice, I would add to check the error counters in the STB to see if they are incrementing. <Menu> Customer Support->Top Support Tools->Connected Device Status->(Toggle to the ... See more...
In addition to Clem's advice, I would add to check the error counters in the STB to see if they are incrementing. <Menu> Customer Support->Top Support Tools->Connected Device Status->(Toggle to the device in question) <OK>->Advanced Diagnostics->(OK) Note the bottom two data fields. Are they all "0"s? Next, toggle to page 5 of 5. Are any of the data fields red colored and maybe incrementing periodically? 🤔
I'm a bit unclear of the access portion of the problem. Are you trying to access Fios Digital Voice from your television? 🤔
Is Verizon the RBOC (Regional Bell Operating Company) in your area? Verizon has acquired and sold-off territories. For example, Verizon left the states of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont and those ... See more...
Is Verizon the RBOC (Regional Bell Operating Company) in your area? Verizon has acquired and sold-off territories. For example, Verizon left the states of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont and those states are now served by Consolidated Communications while Verizon's territories in California are now owned by (I believe) Frontier Communications.
When the television screen freezes and goes black, is the STB rebooting? If it hasn't been tried, unplug the STB, wait a minute or two, plug it back in and see if that makes any difference. There is... See more...
When the television screen freezes and goes black, is the STB rebooting? If it hasn't been tried, unplug the STB, wait a minute or two, plug it back in and see if that makes any difference. There is always the chance that the DVR is malfunctioning and in need of replacement. Other members might have more ideas to try. 🙂
RG6 is the industry standard for cable television applications. Compression connectors are the standard for termination. Now, the location of cut (near one end of the cable or somewhere along the wa... See more...
RG6 is the industry standard for cable television applications. Compression connectors are the standard for termination. Now, the location of cut (near one end of the cable or somewhere along the way) will determine if the best solution. If the cut is near the end, a simple replacement of the connector might be the way to go. If the cut is in the middle, re-running the coaxial cable might be best. Sure, the option to put connectors on each end of the cut and use a coupler to join the two sections together is there, but sometimes simplicity is the way to go. 🙂 I would also suggest purchasing the tools designed to work with coaxial cable from a hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowes. While the tools may only be used once or twice before being put away, proper preparation and termination will ensure the best results. 🙂 The three tools needed are: cable cutters (rounded blades to help prevent the crushing of the dielectric around the center conductor), a preparation tool (to strip off the outer jacket and shielding at the proper lengths) and a compression tool (to compress the replacement connector(s) onto the coaxial cable). Last year, I submitted a video demonstrating the technique for prepping and terminating tri-shielded coaxial cable. I don't have the URL for the posted video, but it should be easy to find. 🙂
Having Fios already available in the town is a good first step. I found myself in a similar situation with my church. Fios was rolled out in my town back in 2008. I'm a early adopter here at the hou... See more...
Having Fios already available in the town is a good first step. I found myself in a similar situation with my church. Fios was rolled out in my town back in 2008. I'm a early adopter here at the house and have been very pleased with the service overall. The church that I attend is about five blocks away from the house. Verizon opted not to bring Fios to the area around the church due to the utilities are underground and low residential density.  I would periodically check Verizon's website to see if there were any changes, but the answer was always "not available". I would also send repeated requests asking Verizon for notification if the situation changed. Then in 2022, Verizon, as a part of the ongoing legacy outside copper plant decommission and legacy central office switch retirement project, indicated that it would be bringing Fios to the area around the church. Due to foot-dragging by one of utilities, along with winter dig moratoriums, it took well over a year for all of the work to be completed. Fios finally arrived last November and the church and a daycare that leases space in the building migrated phone & Internet services over to Fios and both organizations are quite happy with the results. My suggestion is to keep checking the status of Fios in the town and if the ability to send inquiries to Verizon, do so. If neighbors are also interested in signing up with have them also reach out. The more "noise" generated the better. But ultimately any decision to expand Fios will be up to Verizon, the town and, if applicable, any homeowner associations.
In addition to what Clem said, I would check the physical coaxial cable connectors. Loose connectors can cause problems. If any splitters have open taps/ports, either purchase some 75-ohm terminatin... See more...
In addition to what Clem said, I would check the physical coaxial cable connectors. Loose connectors can cause problems. If any splitters have open taps/ports, either purchase some 75-ohm terminating caps or replace the splitter with one that has the exact number of taps needed. While coaxial cable is a bit more forgiving than Ethernet cable, sharp or tight bends should be avoided. Lastly, coaxial cable that is improperly prepped is another weak spot. Some YouTube videos that purport how to prep coaxial cable actually do more harm than good. The STB error logs might yield some clues. How to access them depends upon which boxes are in use. 🙂
OK. I'll have a Moderator close out this topic.
If I try to watch a channel that is not included in my package (More Fios TV), I will see a non-subscription tile. If there is an outage, I see an empty screen or something indicating that Verizon is... See more...
If I try to watch a channel that is not included in my package (More Fios TV), I will see a non-subscription tile. If there is an outage, I see an empty screen or something indicating that Verizon is not receiving a signal from the content provider.
I watch Newsmax pretty much every day. No issues. Are you subscribed to legacy or IP television product? 🤔
I think that Cisco STBs are obsolete at this point. If my memory is correct, (if I'm wrong, someone will post a correction 🙂) Verizon has issued notifications that users of older STBs should conside... See more...
I think that Cisco STBs are obsolete at this point. If my memory is correct, (if I'm wrong, someone will post a correction 🙂) Verizon has issued notifications that users of older STBs should consider migrating to the 4100 series platform.  🤔
A couple of questions to kick things off: . Which Fios television service was subscribed to?  For example, I am subscribed to "More Fios TV", which requires an STB for each television. Verizon provi... See more...
A couple of questions to kick things off: . Which Fios television service was subscribed to?  For example, I am subscribed to "More Fios TV", which requires an STB for each television. Verizon provided a 4100VMS and two 4100 minis. The newer television offering uses a different setup, but I'm not overly familiar with it. 🤔 . Can you tell which model STB Verizon provided?