Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,391 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

LeonardM's Posts

@Rhynoks     There are so many important safety considerations all must be carefully considered.   One other perspective I refer you to is Verizon Wireless' outstanding work with HopeLine,ht... See more...
@Rhynoks     There are so many important safety considerations all must be carefully considered.   One other perspective I refer you to is Verizon Wireless' outstanding work with HopeLine,http://aboutus.vzw.com/communityservice/hopeLine.html   Verizon Wireless is a recognized corporate leader for its commitment to preventing domestic violence and raising awareness of the issue. Verizon Wireless’ HopeLine program collects no-longer used wireless phones, batteries and accessories from any wireless service provider at our Communications Stores nationwide and puts the nation’s most reliable wireless network to work in our communities by turning these unused wireless phones into support for victims of domestic violence.     Supplying a Safety Net in Connecticut – Safe Haven of Greater Waterbury A wireless phone provides safety and security for domestic violence victims. At Safe Haven of Greater Waterbury in Connecticut, HopeLine® phones from Verizon Wireless provide that safety net while also enabling victims to rebuild their lives. Verizon Wireless has supported Safe Haven for more than 10 years, beginning with the donation of voicemail boxes for victims of domestic violence. Today, Safe Haven’s clients use HopeLine phones for a variety of reasons, from dialing 9-1-1 in an emergency situation to finding employment to staying in touch with family and friends. “HopeLine provides a critical communications tool that helps our clients find employment, housing, medical and other things they need to take care of themselves and their families,” said Peggy Panagrossi, executive director of Safe Haven. “The HopeLine program is a wonderful resource for our clients. With their wireless phones, our clients can speak to our court advocates regarding their cases and can access services for housing, job training, legal issues and more.” The following stories illustrate how HopeLine phones have helped Safe Haven’s clients during times of need: A domestic violence victim who lived alone had an ex-boyfriend who broke in and ripped her landline phone out of the wall. She was not able to replace it, but was given a HopeLine phone, which she slept with under her pillow. The next time he broke in, she was able to call the police with the HopeLine phone and he was arrested. A domestic violence victim with Parkinson’s disease who is homebound and the mother of two small boys used a HopeLine phone as a “lifeline” to stay in touch with her doctor, attorney and children’s school. A domestic violence victim with an abusive husband who listened in on her calls and installed hidden cameras in their home was able to escape to safety by planning an escape plan with the help of the Safe Haven and a HopeLine phone. A domestic violence victim went through a divorce, lost everything, including her phone. She was given a HopeLine phone and was able to secure a job as a home health aide. One night she was driving home from work when her car broke down in the middle of nowhere. She used her HopeLine phone to call for help. With HopeLine phones and Safe Haven’s help, domestic violence victims have been able to protect themselves and their families, communicate with their family, friends and employers, and provide a foundation for rebuilding their lives. Safe Haven provides emergency shelter and free comprehensive support services to victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. At its 15-bed emergency shelter, there is food, personal hygiene products and clothing for families staying at the shelter. Safe Haven’s counselors offer counseling, advocacy, support group and information and referrals, and the bilingual, bicultural staff and volunteers also provide legal advocacy, year-round community education, and a 24-hour crisis hotline.  
@mwb   You have a very simple case, it just requires patience on your part.   1. recognize the rep who greets you knows nothing of your issue or the deffective gps chip   2. assure the rep ... See more...
@mwb   You have a very simple case, it just requires patience on your part.   1. recognize the rep who greets you knows nothing of your issue or the deffective gps chip   2. assure the rep that the gps is faulty on this phone, and if they write a trouble ticket, the subject matter expert will verify to them that when Arrival & Departure Updates succeed 3 times then fail, it is a well known issue to heavy Family Locator users; indicating a GPS chip failure. So the phone must be replaced. Be patient, as soon as they check with those who know this will be confirmed and your phone will be replaced.   3. Be patient as the rep does not have this knowledge of this very uncommon condition, which you have had the misfortune of occuring twice. My suggestion would be to ask for the replacment to be of a different model if possible so you dont fear it failing when you need it most.   Good luck
src1425 wrote: I recently activated Family Locator on my son's phone and set automatic updates for when he leaves/arrives home and school/camp. However, the updates are often delayed. For exa... See more...
src1425 wrote: I recently activated Family Locator on my son's phone and set automatic updates for when he leaves/arrives home and school/camp. However, the updates are often delayed. For example, this morning I received auto updates that he both left the house and arrived at school at 11:44 a.m., when this clearly isn't the case. For a service that's offered as a safety and peace-of-mind feature, a 4 hour delay just isn't acceptable.  @src   As was mentioned most likely the phone was turned on at 11:44 am.   There are two things to keep in mind with the Arrival & Departure Update.   1) If it is in a location (i.e. in your case home)   Then the phone is constantly monitoring if it is leaving home, as soon as it gets a GPS reading out of the home location 1/4, 1/2 or 1 mile boundary, then it will let you know. It will not get such a reading if the phone is off. However if at 11:44 am it was turned on it would get a GPS reading, and then let you know it is no longer in the location it thought it was in before it was turned off.   2) If it enters a location (i.e. in your case school/camp)   Then the phone is constantly monitoring if it is entering camp, as soon as it gets a GPS reading in the camp locations 1/4, 1/2 or 1 mile boundary, then it will let you know. It will nto get such a reading if the phone is off. However if at 11:44 am it was turned on it would get a GPS reading, and then let you know it is in a new location that it was outside of before it was turned off.   So discuss with your child keeping the phone on, you can do this by having family locator's Scheduled Update set for 8am, 10am, 12 noon, 2pm, 4pm 6pm each day.. that way you can review it with your child and show them how often the phone was off over the past week (history lasts 7 days), and then have a valuable family discussion saying arrival & departure updates are important for peace of mind of the family, so please keep the phone on, it appeared off at this and this time over the past week, what happened, do you need help being reminded to charge it? etc.    
@mwb   I looked into this further and it is caused by a fault GPS chip in that phone.   You have explained that you have replaced the phone before to no avail.   Please try a different phon... See more...
@mwb   I looked into this further and it is caused by a fault GPS chip in that phone.   You have explained that you have replaced the phone before to no avail.   Please try a different phone model, the model you have has provided you little luck.   A working GPS chip will continue to monitor where your child is beyond 3 days. The Arrival & Departure Update is intensive upon the GPS chip, as it must constantly track where the child is and where they are relative to the various locations you have set up.   Sorry to ask you to change phones.
@bhmwynns   It is hard to say.   What is the time of day restriction? Which days of the week is the restriction for?   What type of device does your child have?   Are the calls and messag... See more...
@bhmwynns   It is hard to say.   What is the time of day restriction? Which days of the week is the restriction for?   What type of device does your child have?   Are the calls and messages received from trusted numbers?   Thanks
@mwb   A few more trouble shooting questions:   1) do any of your arrival & departure updates overlap, to see if conflicting locations are the issue 2) when you say it fails after a few days... See more...
@mwb   A few more trouble shooting questions:   1) do any of your arrival & departure updates overlap, to see if conflicting locations are the issue 2) when you say it fails after a few days, is there anything you do in the days, like add additional arrival & departure updates, to see if # of arrival & departure updates is an issue 3) can you try to set up arrival & departure updates in different areas then you usually do, to see if 3G coverage within the location area is the issue. 4) can you please make your areas set to 1 mile, so that the 1/4 mile is not an issue   Thanks for the extra information!
Verizon Wireless' Call & Message Blocking is free for up to 5 individuals. Other security suites charge a premium.
@Kevin   The new upgraded usage controls do just what you ask, go have a look. They added voice call stops last week.   so the time restrictions and limit controls will now function as you de... See more...
@Kevin   The new upgraded usage controls do just what you ask, go have a look. They added voice call stops last week.   so the time restrictions and limit controls will now function as you desired:   School’s Out: Verizon Wireless Offers Many Ways To Monitor And Control Kids’ Cell Phone Use   Media Contact Info Tom {edited for privacy}   06/16/2010 BASKING RIDGE, NJ — The end of the school year means more time for vacationing students to send and receive text messages, surf the mobile Web, play mobile games and make calls on their cell phones. But, with a few easy tips and tools from Verizon Wireless, it doesn’t have to mean unexpected higher bills for their parents. Monitor and track your family’s wireless usage – Don’t wait for your monthly statement to see how many messages your children are sending – check the numbers anytime through My Verizon. Available online and on Verizon Wireless handsets, My Verizon provides 24/7 access to all billing, payment and account-related information, including usage amounts. Not near a computer or just want to get a quick idea of what your family’s usage has been? You can always get up-to-the-minute usage information on your phone by dialing #646 (or #MIN) [Send] to receive a free text message with current airtime usage. Block it before they purchase it – Prevent potentially unwanted purchases of data products, including ringtones, ringback tones, games and applications, by putting a block on the account. Various blocks are available at no charge and can be set through My Verizon. My Verizon is available to all Verizon Wireless customers at no cost. Find My Verizon online at www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon. Verizon Wireless also offers Usage Controls to help parents manage and monitor different aspects of their children’s wireless use. Usage Controls are available on most handsets at a monthly cost of $4.99 per line.  Features include the ability to: Set voice and messaging allowances – No need to exceed your plan minutes or texts just because your daughter likes to use her phone. Usage Allowances allow you to set limits for voice minutes and text messages that can be used during a billing cycle. If the limit is exceeded, the account owner will be notified. Sign up to receive free text alerts when a family member nears or reaches their limit – You’ve set voice and messaging allowances for your kids; now make sure they don’t go over them. Receive a text alert before and when the limits are reached, so you can take action before any overage charges kick in. Designate specific times of the day when family members can call, message or use data on their cell phones – While you’re at the office, you don’t want to waste time worrying that your son is using his phone all day. So don’t! Limit and control your child’s use of his cell phone during a certain time of day or day of week using Time Restrictions. Create lists of blocked phone numbers to prevent unwanted calls and text messages from being sent or received – If a certain number becomes a problem, block it. Blocked Numbers in Usage Controls are phone numbers that are restricted from calling or messaging your child and from receiving calls and messages from your child at any time. You can also designate trusted numbers so calls and messages can get through to your child, and 911 will always work. Customers can sign up for and update Usage Controls through My Verizon. For more information on Usage Controls, visit www.verizonwireless.com/usagecontrols. For more information about Verizon Wireless, visit www.verizonwireless.com. About Verizon Wireless Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving nearly 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 81,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.   #### 
@Marco   https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/messageIntercept/messageInterceptHomeSpam.action i got you the direct link to INTERNET SPAM BLOCKING which is never blocked if you have ... See more...
@Marco   https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/messageIntercept/messageInterceptHomeSpam.action i got you the direct link to INTERNET SPAM BLOCKING which is never blocked if you have usage controls or do not. Trust me please go here it works, try it one more time.   You will see it is different then CALL & MESSAGE BLOCKING (which is not available when you have usage controls as they do the same thing, and Call & Message Blocking is limited to 5 vs 20, and is 1 way vs 2way, and is temporary 90 days). It has a very different URL: https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/messageIntercept/messageInterceptHome.action   You will know you are on Internet Spam Blocking because it states:     Block Details for:3019575136 Help: Spam Controls     You can block up to 15 email addresses (name@name.com), domains (www.domain.com), and/or   text names (nickname@vtext.com).  1     2     3     4     5      Block Another Contact (10 Left)   Message Blocking Preferences   These settings apply to all messages from any sender. Block all text messages sent from the web. Block all text messages sent from email.   You will see there is an option to block all text messages sent from the web, or you can specify domains like www.facebook.com etc    
@Marco   Marco you are doing a great job figuring out all the tools to help you parent.   Internet Spam Controls are not blocked if you have Usage Controls, you can still use them, it is Call... See more...
@Marco   Marco you are doing a great job figuring out all the tools to help you parent.   Internet Spam Controls are not blocked if you have Usage Controls, you can still use them, it is Call & Message Blocking that you cannot utilize.   Go to www.vzw.com/spamcontrols and add the domains you want text messages blocked from like facebook.com   I believe however that your child is using the web to make those discussions rather then his or her text messages?   If that is the case I would put C7 back on so facebook is blocked for your child.   When they wish to download from the app store, then temp. lift the CF setting for the purchases.   Have them browse the Android Market on your droid, with your supervision, when they are looking for new items, then they can get them all during their download window you provide them each week.   This would prevent both the objectionable apps from being downloaded and the facebook chatting that you have had difficulty stopping.   Good luck!
1 in 3 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime, and law enforcement and domestic violence agencies report that a significant percent of abuse incidents go unreported. Anybody wi... See more...
1 in 3 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime, and law enforcement and domestic violence agencies report that a significant percent of abuse incidents go unreported. Anybody with a Verizon Wireless cell phone can dial #HOPE (#4673) and connect directly to the National Domestic Violence Hotline (NDVH) – toll and airtime free.
  Delana wrote: It is weird because i have a friend who has Sprint and they can turn off the notification on the locatee's phone.  What is the point if your child knows that u have located h... See more...
  Delana wrote: It is weird because i have a friend who has Sprint and they can turn off the notification on the locatee's phone.  What is the point if your child knows that u have located him.  All we are trying to do is protect them   @Delana   Please consider the domestic abuse victim on the run with their cell phone to stay connected to their support network, even as their Account Owning abuser can attempt to track them. Please see http://parentalcontrolcenter.com/making-a-difference-through-hopeline for more ideas on protecting the privacy of domestic abuse victims.
@DRail   It is convenient to locate your child and then with one click receive turn by turn directions to your child. Sometimes you can be in quite a hurry and driving while you are doing this,... See more...
@DRail   It is convenient to locate your child and then with one click receive turn by turn directions to your child. Sometimes you can be in quite a hurry and driving while you are doing this, so simplicity is sometimes best.
@FL   Please  look into Verizon Family Locator's most popular feature, the behaviorally based Arrival and Departure Update.   You Set up an Arrival & Departure Update which automatically prov... See more...
@FL   Please  look into Verizon Family Locator's most popular feature, the behaviorally based Arrival and Departure Update.   You Set up an Arrival & Departure Update which automatically provides a text message, email and log file of when your child enters or leaves a location.   Say they let themselves into their home after school, you will know when that occurs, and there is no notice given to the child that this is occuring, it is automatic.     What is critical is parent-child communication, and using safeguards like content filters, usage controls, call & message blocking, and family locator can assist some parenting efforts amongst many other tools. Here is a review of these tools: http://parentalcontrolcenter.com/the-tech-herald-reviews-family-locator-and-usage-controls/comment-page-1
@fezzik   To clarify Fezzik is describing Google Latitude    Family Locator works quite differently:   Family Locator is effective for checking in with other family members   - when they ... See more...
@fezzik   To clarify Fezzik is describing Google Latitude    Family Locator works quite differently:   Family Locator is effective for checking in with other family members   - when they arrive or leave any location you define such as home, work, parking garages, school, play grounds etc. - during specific times of day on specific days, i.e. curfew, end of day, beginning of day etc - whenever you wish by visiting fl.vzw.com from any mobile device or familylocator.vzw.com on any PC   Family Locator does not require the person being located to update their location   - the location is automatically detected by the Verizon 3G Network   Family Locator can locate people inside buildings   - Family Locator uses AGPS which permits in building locates   It is good for checking in with others   - Once found you can get turn by turn directions to that location using VZ Navigator - Once found you can send the found individual turn by turn directions to the nearest gas station/atm etc using VZ Navigator - Once found you can send a free family message out to everyone in the family - Once found you can see a birds eye view of their location to have a good understanding of where they are - Once found you can identify the location for arrival & departure updates and automatically be notified when the family member arrives or leaves that location another time    
@BlackBear Stealthy Parent   Privacy concerns are valued greatly by Verizon Wireless customers.   The best that will be hoped for in 2010 will be to locate your child without their having any... See more...
@BlackBear Stealthy Parent   Privacy concerns are valued greatly by Verizon Wireless customers.   The best that will be hoped for in 2010 will be to locate your child without their having any way to prevent it, and then they get notified they were just located.   Perhaps this is an acceptable compromise?    
@ctrout   One more clarification C,     The "Family Locator Member" application is only for the children, only for those family members you wish to locate.   It has nothing to do with the ... See more...
@ctrout   One more clarification C,     The "Family Locator Member" application is only for the children, only for those family members you wish to locate.   It has nothing to do with the parent or Family Locator functions, which are done on the mobile web application http://fl.vzw.com   If your device has no web browser then you have to rely upon text messages. You can set up scheduled and arrival&departure updates to receive text messages to your parent device at regular intervals so you have frequent location text messages in lieu of a phone web browser.   However the Convoy has a browser so you should be fine.    
@ctrout:   Hi C,   I have good news for you C, any VZW device can be used to locate your child, just visit the Family Locator mobile website fl.vzw.com on any browser and login.   Also, Whe... See more...
@ctrout:   Hi C,   I have good news for you C, any VZW device can be used to locate your child, just visit the Family Locator mobile website fl.vzw.com on any browser and login.   Also, When you download "Family Locator Member" you see chaperone child, that is AOK.   The product used to be called Chaperone, and your device is an older device which still has the old application, which is FULLY COMPATIBLE with Verizon Family Locator.   You do not need to have Chaperone Parent on your device, just go to http://fl.vzw.com to access all the "parent" features of the product - locating your child, VZ Navigator driving directions to your child, studying when your child left school and when they arrived at home etc.   You can access this webpage without typing in characters, by visiting your Phone's web browser > selecting My Verizon > Selecting My Services > selecting "Family Locator" which will launch you into the login page.   On the login page use the LOCATOR's phone number (parents) and their my verizon login.   Thanks
@Greg   Hi Greg many of the sites on the Android are google sites and are restricted due to search which is not permitted for 7 and 13 rated filters.   Since you purchased a Droid for your ch... See more...
@Greg   Hi Greg many of the sites on the Android are google sites and are restricted due to search which is not permitted for 7 and 13 rated filters.   Since you purchased a Droid for your child, i recommend the 17 year old setting, as that permits the google apps and blocks the most offensive content.    
@anopy   Verizon is working on more custom content filter features. Thanks for making your voice heard on the enhancements you would like.