Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,360 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

angrywaterfowl's Posts

My PC runs on Windows 7 and also has Zune. When I went to Devices and Printers the Kin appeared as a generic hard drive icon at the bottom of the page; my PC didn't recognize it beyond that, but ... See more...
My PC runs on Windows 7 and also has Zune. When I went to Devices and Printers the Kin appeared as a generic hard drive icon at the bottom of the page; my PC didn't recognize it beyond that, but I was still able to fix it by running Troubleshoot.
Hi, I had this issue too, and neither Verizon nor Sharp, the phone's manufacturer, know much about the problem. I was eventually able to fix this problem by installing a new device driver onto... See more...
Hi, I had this issue too, and neither Verizon nor Sharp, the phone's manufacturer, know much about the problem. I was eventually able to fix this problem by installing a new device driver onto the Kin. If you plug the Kin into your computer (if you have a PC) and go to Devices and Printers (in the Start menu), you will be able to see the icon for the Kin, and it will probably just show a generic hard drive icon since the Kin is partially disabled by the 'updating modem' error. Click on this icon and have Windows run Troubleshoot; at this point, my computer noted that my Kin's driver was disabled, and asked if I would like it to search for a new driver. After the driver was found and installed, the 'updating modem' screen went away and my phone restarted and went back to normal...for a while. The 'updating modem' problem has returned to my Kin every few weeks, but I have been able to fix it each time by installing a new device driver. It is annoying, but at least there's an inexpensive fix. Note: You might have to reinstall the driver more than once; Windows sometimes gives me an error message and I have been forced to start the process over, but it has always worked eventually.
My Kin Onem was recently showing an 'updating modem' error that Verizon and Sharp (the phone's manufacturer) didn't seem to know much about, beyond the usual replacement options that were not ver... See more...
My Kin Onem was recently showing an 'updating modem' error that Verizon and Sharp (the phone's manufacturer) didn't seem to know much about, beyond the usual replacement options that were not very helpful. Not knowing what else to do, I bought and activated a different phone.  After activating my new phone, I decided to take another look at my Kin and, for some reason, I was able to fix it today, and the fix was actually pretty straightforward. After plugging my Kin into my PC, I went to 'Devices and Printers' (in the Start menu) and clicked on my phone's icon, which was now just a white hard drive icon since it was unrecognizable. When I clicked on it, Windows noted that there was an error, and asked if I wanted to run Troubleshoot. When Troubleshoot ran its course, it asked whether I wanted to search for a replacement device driver (since that is apparently where the error originated). After it searched for a new driver, my computer automatically installed one on my Kin and the 'updating modem' error message disappeared! My Kin then restarted itself, and it was good as new . I was able to sync it with Zune and put everything I had assumed was irretrievably lost onto my computer. I don't know whether the error will happen spontaneously again, but I am happy to have fixed it for now.