Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 8,289 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

TexasRebel's Posts

15 days into my billing cycle and I'm at 27GB out of 30GB. I watch all YouTube videos at 360P. I stream some audio programs which are 56Kbps or lower. I've had HomeFusion 30GB since 1/5/13 an... See more...
15 days into my billing cycle and I'm at 27GB out of 30GB. I watch all YouTube videos at 360P. I stream some audio programs which are 56Kbps or lower. I've had HomeFusion 30GB since 1/5/13 and I've never stayed below 30GB. It's impossible unless I power off all my devices when I'm not needing access to something online, which is rare. I mentioned this at a VZW corporate store and was told that I wasn't the only complaining about the low data caps for a product that's being marketed as a residential product. I'm pay $200+ a month for this effin service!!! This is nothing short of price gouging for data. Before I moved over to HomeFusion I had also used Exede from ViaSat and Hughesnet Gen4. Both are the same way. Gouging the hell out of their customers for data. I'm paying more for internet than I pay for electricity or any other utility. What is data?!? just modulated information over a radio frequency either by wireline or wireless. I work in the world of IT.. Over the past 20 years I've seen the price of hardware go down as it gets more robust and advanced. Data used was never a concern unless you worked with databases and had limited storage space. Why does VZW think charging for data is a good business model?? They have 115 million customers as of Q4 2012. Even if everyone of those 115 million people paid only $50 a month for service, VZW would rake in $5.7 billion each month. We know that most of those 115 million pay quite a bit more than $50 a month. I would approximate that VZW makes 7-10 billion a month.. Isn't that enough?!? There's absolutely no reason why anyone should have to pay over $100 a month for internet usage over a wireless connection. I'm guessing the reason it's so high is because the value of the US dollar is next being worthless, so it take more $$$ to buy things.. VZW if you actually read these posts... please consider raising your data caps for HomeFusion customers.. Many of us feel we are getting priced way too high for such a little amount of data...
Was told that end of February that the firmware upgrade to correct the daily disconnects with the HomeFusion hardware was going to be rolled out. Nothing as of yet. Also want at least 50GB of... See more...
Was told that end of February that the firmware upgrade to correct the daily disconnects with the HomeFusion hardware was going to be rolled out. Nothing as of yet. Also want at least 50GB of data for the $120 per month package. There's no way 30GB will ever be enough for a family of 4 in a 1 month billing cycle. Hell even 50GB would barely cover it. Time to end the illusion that datacaps are in place for network congestion and that it's all about screwing the customer out of more money. A residential LTE connection should not cost anyone $120 plus taxes and fees and another $100 for the 10GB in overages on a ridiculous low amount of data allowance.
I only get a blinking amber light when the LTE connection drops from the cantenna, which means it's a VZW network problem. Otherwise it blinks green all the other times.. Occasionally, it will bl... See more...
I only get a blinking amber light when the LTE connection drops from the cantenna, which means it's a VZW network problem. Otherwise it blinks green all the other times.. Occasionally, it will blink red which means the HF router has lost communication with the cantenna. Probably because of firmware glitches in both the router and cantenna. I've said it before that this setup is horrendous!!! It's (2) routers that are bridged together, whereas it should just be that the LTE radio and router should be in one enclosure and the cantenna is just a active antenna array with 1-2 watts of power. Whoever thought up this design really didn't take the simplest way to get this product to market. I'm going to take a wild guess that the reason some people are having connection drops is because the tower they are connected to is not configured right. Some are lucky to have a fiber connection to their tower and others have a microwave backhaul connection, which is line of sight to the next tower that might have a fiber connection or it could as well be a microwave backhaul. I guess it really depends on how really far out in the sticks your at. Your cantenna is probably getting great signal, but the LTE network is out of sync and thus causes a connection drop. Everytime my connection drops, it's like the DNS/DHCP server I was communicating to, just went offline. Oh well who really knows.. Most of these giant corporations are filled to the brim with stupid people. The only ones you can sorta depend on that know what's going on are the actual engineers that work on the towers.
Sounds like your area isn't really serviced very well by 4G/LTE. I'm curious if you ever noticed when you were disconnected that the HF router was blinking the amber light all the time or was it ... See more...
Sounds like your area isn't really serviced very well by 4G/LTE. I'm curious if you ever noticed when you were disconnected that the HF router was blinking the amber light all the time or was it blinking red. Blinking amber light is a representation that registration has failed on the 4G/LTE network. Possibly because the 4G/LTE tower is not communicating well back to the 4G/LTE network itself. Blinking red light means the HF router can't talk to Cantenna, which if you had to go through 4 Cantennas to get a connection, it sounds like a bad coax between the router and cantenna or the power injection module is bad and not supplying a good solid voltage.. I had a outage for over 6 hours on Tuesday evening, but noticed that my AT&T 4G iPhone5 was displaying no service as well. It was like the tower that held both AT&T and Verizon gear was down. They both came backup at the same time at nearly 2am. Just my take..
How about stop dogging on people that live out in the country and stop bleeting about network congestion because that's not why they have data caps. That's already been proven to be false with mu... See more...
How about stop dogging on people that live out in the country and stop bleeting about network congestion because that's not why they have data caps. That's already been proven to be false with multiple articles stating the fact that it's just about monetizing data usage. If VZW or AT&T really wish to show concern about network congestion then they've got multiple billions to fix it with laying fiber to the towers. Better yet they can sell their LTE with different speed tiers. Not everyone that is using LTE is needing the full 30+Mbps down and 20Mbps up. If 95% of the people are using the connection to read email and do web surfing on their phones then speed cap them to 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up. That's more than enough bandwidth. Those of us that need the sheer burst in bandwidth to download videos, or ISOs, etc. Then give them that speed at a higher price so they can get what they need fast and then go idle when their done. Speed tiers on wireless would work better on the pseudo network congestion you keep referring about. HomeFusion subscribers shouldn't have to deal with data caps. I can guarantee that there's not enough of us out here to eat up all the available bandwidth. We're a fringe group of users. Not too many country folk are crazy enough as myself to spend $145 a month for a internet connection.
B) I'm definitely not signing up with a satellite based service since I've had both and both although were moderately fast, Exede more over than HNG4, neither one would provide me with enough dat... See more...
B) I'm definitely not signing up with a satellite based service since I've had both and both although were moderately fast, Exede more over than HNG4, neither one would provide me with enough data. Plus satellite latency is horrid when it comes to doing VPN, Remote Desktop, and VOIP.  I could have 60GB with (2) HomeFusion accounts, but I'm betting that would result in VZW requiring me to have (2) HomeFusion routers and cantennas on my house. At $120 per account, plus the $6.99 monthly warranty, then the taxes and fees, that would probably result in around $270 a month. Or I could pay the outrageous amount of $10 per 1GB overage fee for the extra 30GB and pay $300 plus the $145 I'm paying now and have a bill at nearly $450 a month. That's totally absurd!! That's more than what I pay for electricity to my house per month or what I spend on putting fuel in my car a month. *sigh* monetizing data usage should be outlawed and punished by making the ISPs pay huge fines for purposely coming up with ways to screw customers out of money. it's about as ridiculous as charging people to breathe.
What I find conflicting is both Verizon and AT&T are reeling away from rolling out more copper and are claiming they are moving more towards wireless with LTE rollouts to reach the rural customer... See more...
What I find conflicting is both Verizon and AT&T are reeling away from rolling out more copper and are claiming they are moving more towards wireless with LTE rollouts to reach the rural customers. If 700Mhz is their main spectrum they plan on doing this with, then by their own words they will oversubscribe on that spectrum, causing network congestion. What other frequency band will they select next? Unless over the next several years they figure out newer ways to modulate the data to shrink the channels even tighter. Only thing I can guess is they use the existing cellular bands and convert those to use LTE and convert all the voice traffic to use VOIP. The fact is regardless of how it all turns out, we all know that data consumption is going to grow exponentially and the datacaps are not about network congestion as several reports have indicated recently. The more bandwidth, the faster data can be downloaded and those heavy users can then go back to idling. Theoretically, if all cell towers are being fed with gigabit fiber, then congestion will likely never happen. As a HomeFusion customer with the 30GB plan, there's no damn way that is enough data for my family and we're not even using NetFlix or any other movie streaming service. The department heads that come up with these low datacaps have to be laughing their a$$es off with implying that 30GB is enough for a family of 4 in a month's time for this service that is specifically marketed as a residential broadband product. They give us 30Mbps down and 20Mbps up and they actually think everyone should be able to fit within their data packages?!? It's seriously a bad joke. Maybe that works for most smartphone users, but for a product they market as residential internet service, it does NOT work!!! Both major carriers are making billions... I don't believe it costs billions to maintain their cell cites. Unless they are changing out burnt out hardware at every cell site because of poorly designed hardware. Who really knows. I know one thing and that whatever the published revenue figures are, you can bet that they have a second set of books that reports the actual take in cash. It's called the `Comprehensive Annual Financial Report' and it's something that the public doesn't know about. The billions that both AT&T and Verizon claim they made last quarter is a gross understatement. They made in most cases 3 times that stated amount. Don't believe me?? Go do some research on the CAFR. You will be shocked..
I'm about to call in and tell them to give me discount for them using a crappy hardware vendor. I'm not supposed to be paying for multiple disconnects per day because of bad firmware and or hardw... See more...
I'm about to call in and tell them to give me discount for them using a crappy hardware vendor. I'm not supposed to be paying for multiple disconnects per day because of bad firmware and or hardware. I don't know who designed the HF hardware, but it's horrible. It's basically two routers that are bridged together with very little customization. You can't change the IP subnet, unlike what you can with other routers from other vendors. The router and radio should have been one box with the Cantenna being a RF amp and highgain antenna. Would have been easier to work with. Hopefully, the coming firmware update will fix this problem and possibly add more customizing features to the router.. Doubtful thou...
The current cellular infrastructure can handle unlimited data and at any giving time it's always got data flowing over the network. Some places it's heavier than others. In the cities it's always... See more...
The current cellular infrastructure can handle unlimited data and at any giving time it's always got data flowing over the network. Some places it's heavier than others. In the cities it's always got loads of data going over it. In the boonies, not so much. Data capping is a total scam and does not have anything to do with network congestion. I've already said that if network congestion was really the issue, then there's always the use of QoS (Quality of Service) metrics. When congestion is detected, then balance out the network load to all users on those specific towers. That way not one specific user is eating up the largest amount of available bandwidth. When congestion is not detected, then QoS switches off. I already know all about video formats and the data that's used for the different qualities. My YouTube settings are set to use the lowest quality, which again I shouldn't have to settle for low quality because I have to worry about going over some stupid data allowance. Oh I've had both Exede12 and Hughesnet Gen4. I ditched both of them because they had unreasonable data caps for what I was spending.. Exede12 was better than HNG4 in speeds. HomeFusion is the same exact way. The only reason I haven't ditched them yet is because the latency is like having a wired connection with being under 100ms. <Comments deleted to comply with the .> Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator
I never said to give unlimited data to everyone, but even if they did, you seem to have this idea that everyone all at  once will start taking advantage of it. That wouldn't be possible because c... See more...
I never said to give unlimited data to everyone, but even if they did, you seem to have this idea that everyone all at  once will start taking advantage of it. That wouldn't be possible because cell towers can only handle so many connections at once. Your notion that you believe everyone would make use of it all at once is just a scare tactic that I've heard over and over. For the 14 years I've had some kind of wired broadband connection, I've never seen at anytime where my connection came to a screeching halt due to congestion. Never seen it on cellular either and I have AT&T for phone service. Then again I live out in the sticks and most people out here only know how to talk on a cellphone and don't do much else... I did read the link you pasted about CES and 3G-4G/LTE and I posted a response. I guess you didn't read it. That problem happened because the cellular infrastructure wasn't built to handle that many users all at once. No cellular network is. With an event like CES I would have thought they would have had multiple open WiFi hotspots to handle the load of data to keep the cellular networks uncluttered. I guess they didn't have the money, (worthless paper backed by nothing) to pull off that feat. I am a HomeFusion customer.. I went with 30GB and I've already gone past my allowance and I haven't watched any NetFlix or any other streaming HD video service.. I do watch YouTube videos from time to time, and stream audio as well. 30GB is a bad joke for a product that is marketed as a residential connection to the internet. It's costing me right at $140 a month which includes a $6.99 insurance plan to replace their hardware should it break. I've got another week and a half before my billing cycle resets. At the moment I'm at 33GB. Hopefully I don't go over 40GB. Homefusion customers shouldn't be worried about hitting a data cap. Certainly not at 30GB.. That's way to low for a product that is marketed as a broadband internet connection for the home.
yep same thing happening to me.. seems to happen always after midnight.. was down for 15+ minutes.. was playing WOW and boom the connection dropped.. HBA was showing connecting and that's all... See more...
yep same thing happening to me.. seems to happen always after midnight.. was down for 15+ minutes.. was playing WOW and boom the connection dropped.. HBA was showing connecting and that's all it did.. Then magically it connected and everything is back up and running..
I'm out in the sticks.. raising data caps for HomeFusion isn't going to bring their network down. Verizon owns more bandwidth than ViaSat's Exede product, yet Exede has a Late Night Free Zone whi... See more...
I'm out in the sticks.. raising data caps for HomeFusion isn't going to bring their network down. Verizon owns more bandwidth than ViaSat's Exede product, yet Exede has a Late Night Free Zone which they encourage subscribers to go hogwild in downloading data and it doesn't count towards their usage. Verizon could do the same thing and I seriously doubt it would cause their networks to come to a screeching halt. Data capping has nothing to do with congestion.. It never has and never will.
I am a HomeFusion user and it's the ONLY product I use from Verizon because it's the fastest technology in my area. If all you use is 300MB on your phone in a month then bravo to you. Apparently ... See more...
I am a HomeFusion user and it's the ONLY product I use from Verizon because it's the fastest technology in my area. If all you use is 300MB on your phone in a month then bravo to you. Apparently you never travel outside an area that can't be serviced by cable or dsl, so cellular data usage is really of no concern to you. I read your link.. if 4G was brought down to it's knees during CES, that's because they didn't design/build it well enough for the expected/actual usage. That would be like using a single DS3 connection to your cable headend office that services thousands of households and then wondering why you're only getting dialup speeds on your 30Mbps cable connection. I bet they didn't have 10Gbps fiber connections to all the towers in the area during CES and they felt no need to spend the millions to do the upgrade for an event that lasted only several days.. If they had then 4G/LTE bandwidth wouldn't have probably been so saturated. They built out 4G/LTE for the indigenous population and not the extra 150,000 that showed up for the CES event.  On a side note.. I used to work for Verizon in Irving, TX from 2000 - 2007 as a Systems Admin. I still work as an IT Professional. I know plenty about bandwidth requirements for networks. It doesn't matter if it's running over a cable or wirelessly, it's all the same with data being modulated with a spectrum of frequencies to move them from point A to point B. Fiber/Cable just allows it to go further without too much degradation of signal.
<< Personal attack removed to comply with >> Verizon could raise their data caps to a bare minimum of 60GB and a max of 100GB per month without raising their prices and they would still make... See more...
<< Personal attack removed to comply with >> Verizon could raise their data caps to a bare minimum of 60GB and a max of 100GB per month without raising their prices and they would still make a hefty profit. They could charge $1 per GB over the data allowance and they would still make money.. The scare tactics of there being congestion and the costs of maintaining the infrastructure is nothing more than propaganda to keep the dumbed down masses worried about using too much data and to keep the stock holders happy.
Somehow I think you are ***  with only using 300MB of data in an entire month if you are a HomeFusion customer. I'm taking it that you are not and that your data usage is so low at 300MB in a mon... See more...
Somehow I think you are ***  with only using 300MB of data in an entire month if you are a HomeFusion customer. I'm taking it that you are not and that your data usage is so low at 300MB in a month because most of the time you are sponging off a WiFi connection that someone else has to pay for. Data capping has NEVER been about controlling congestion. People that keep running that BS disinfo flag are either corporate hacks or stock holders that wish to protect their jobs or increase their stock value. If congestion was really the issue, then use QoS metrics at the times when congestion is detected and balance out the bandwidth for everyone that's using a specific 4G/LTE tower. But they won't do that, because it's never been about congestion bringing down their networks. It's about monetizing data usage. In the end it's about screwing people out of money and most of all, control.  Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator
http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20130123/12010721767/verizon-charging-you-more-as-bandwidth-costs-them-less.shtml? As we just recently discussed, broadband providers appear to f... See more...
http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20130123/12010721767/verizon-charging-you-more-as-bandwidth-costs-them-less.shtml? As we just recently discussed, broadband providers appear to finally be willing to give up their pretend need for data caps due to the pretend costs of delivering service. The story they told essentially was that, without data caps, congestion would clog the interwebz tubes and that laying bigger tubes was way too costly. Perhaps noteably, this rarely resulted in actual hard caps on data, but rather provided a convenient excuse to charge more for more data service, regardless of the effect or cost of delivering that service. Now Verizon's 4G LTE money-making machine is giving us a glimpse into exactly how profitable providing bandwidth is becoming as the cost for delivering service drops and prices to consumers go up. Verizon (VZ) posted a pretty impressive holiday quarter (one-time charges aside) with a good outlook on Tuesday, and the company’s share price rose as a result. There were also plenty of interesting takeaways from the carrier’s earnings call, but The New York Times’ Brian X. Chen zeroed in on one item of particular interest. Verizon launched new “Share Everything” plans last summer that make smartphone data more expensive for many users. The best thing about these plans for investors — and, not coincidentally, the worst thing about the plans for subscribers — is that Verizon is now making more money off of smartphone data as costs associated with transmitted that data are falling. It really doesn't get much simpler than that. The 4G LTE network is efficient to the point that delivering the service costs less than the 3G network, yet the price to consumers is going up. To be clear, the problem here isn't that Verizon is making money. Rather, the problem is that this comes from the same company that built a business model around low caps and high overage costs while also claiming that caps were the sign of a "competitive market." For those of you playing along at home, it's precisely because of a lack of competition that Verizon can at once have its costs drop while raising prices on its services. Were there more competition, someone new would compete on price or value of service. As it stands, Verizon can use their faster service and low caps to further the aforementioned business model. As an added bonus, Chen noted that Verizon’s faster data networks also cause users to eat through their data allowances more quickly. This eventually prompts them to buy more expensive plans with higher data caps, which of course net Verizon even more cash. As a Verizon customer myself, these kinds of signs that there isn't enough competition for my dollar are quite frustrating. On top of that, the model is specifically designed to provide a great service and then drop a bunch of obstacles in its path... it's maddening.