Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 7,425 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

joejarvis's Posts

Tidbits: Tidbits wrote: You can buy it from Motorola no still get the discount. Thanks for the reply. If I'm still under contract and buy a device outside Edge, how would I get ... See more...
Tidbits: Tidbits wrote: You can buy it from Motorola no still get the discount. Thanks for the reply. If I'm still under contract and buy a device outside Edge, how would I get the VZW service discount? Do you have a link to the threads you mentioned where I could read up on that? Appreciate the help.
mrhelper: It's coming. Be patient. I have been patient. I didn't contact VZW the day it was announced by Google. I haven't contacted and bothered phone and store reps on the rele... See more...
mrhelper: It's coming. Be patient. I have been patient. I didn't contact VZW the day it was announced by Google. I haven't contacted and bothered phone and store reps on the release date. I didn't freak out as every other carrier got it first. I didn't freak out when the Dec. 13 VZW release date rumor was false. I've just been patiently hanging out. But at some point, the patience is going to run out... The world is not going to end if you don't have it now. If you need it that badly buy it from Motorola directly. You have to acknowledge that VZW has failed its customers compared to its competition. This isn't about me having to have this phone to survive. Nice strawman there. This is about recognizing that a carrier who brags about being best of class and whose leaders are paid six-, seven-, and eight-figure salaries to not screw up have in fact screwed up. As an aside, I'm near the end of a contract and eligible for early transition to Edge. Buying direct from Motorola will not allow me to get the Edge discount on my VZW service, as I understand it. It's common knowledge when it comes to new phones Verizon is typically last when it comes to updates Verizon is typically last. If getting new phones and updates first is a priority then Verizon should not be your carrier of choice. Where I live (Kansas), there are only two providers with decent networks: VZW and AT&T. Your suggestion that device release should somehow trump the underlying network doesn't make any sense. I would jump to T-Mobile in a heartbeat for their customer-friendly policies if the network were there. In the meanwhile, I'm at the mercy of the those two providers.
Every major carrier except Verizon has been selling the Nexus 6 for weeks. The forum has tens of threads asking for information about VZW's release of the Nexus 6. VZW staff uniformly reply that ... See more...
Every major carrier except Verizon has been selling the Nexus 6 for weeks. The forum has tens of threads asking for information about VZW's release of the Nexus 6. VZW staff uniformly reply that they have no information at this time and link to VZW's press releases page. That's absolutely pathetic--corporate talking points that mask a clear decision by VZW leadership not to prioritize this phone. Verizon has totally failed its subscribers on this phone. As a customer who pays a premium for the top ranked wireless carrier, this is the kind of behavior I would expect from a bottom-ranked provider. What do you have to say about this VZW staff? No information at this time? Check the VZW press page for information?
Bump. VZW are you out there?
Hi all. I could use some help diagnosing a call audio problem with the Samsung Galaxy S4. I've done a lot of testing and am running out of ideas. PROBLEM During calls in my apartment, call ... See more...
Hi all. I could use some help diagnosing a call audio problem with the Samsung Galaxy S4. I've done a lot of testing and am running out of ideas. PROBLEM During calls in my apartment, call recipients frequently report that my audio will drop out/go silent for 1-10 seconds, then return. This can happen multiple times in a call. At its worst, calls will drop, but this is extremely rare. Based on my troubleshooting, it appears to be a systemic defect in either the Galaxy S4 hardware or software. TROUBLESHOOTING TO DATE Network. Verizon claims its network is functioning correctly near my apartment. They have sent a crew to the site to verify and see no problems. This is a relatively newly developed suburban area inside a city with ~90K population. To rule out network problems, I bought a Verizon network extender. It's configured for closed/managed access. The phone display indicates it is connected to the network extender, dialing #48 verifies network extender coverage, and Verizon techs can verify from their call logs that calls are being placed through the network extender. Verizon can also tell based on the tower ID in their logs that I'm using the same tower consistently, which I interpret to rule out accidentally connecting to a network extender in a neighboring apartment. To verify the connection between the phone and the network extender, I started using the OpenSignal app on the phone to monitor the signal strength. I'm averaging low -70s dBm, with lows in the -50s dBm and highs in the -80s dBm. I've monitored the signal strength during calls, and when the problem occurs the signal is consistent with these numbers. I've relocated the network extender to be as close to where I place calls as possible, and am typically 5-15 ft away with an interior sheetrock wall between me and the network extender. Since the network extender routes calls over the Internet, I've also tried to rule out both my home network and my broadband ISP as the source of the problem. I've replaced the Ethernet cable between the network extender and my router. My cable broadband provider advertises 2 Mbps upstream bandwidth on my current plan. Speedtest.net bandwidth tests to various servers show that I regularly get 1.2 - 1.8 Mbps in practice, including near the times when I have problems. I already had quality-of-service configured on my router and configured it to prioritize outbound packets from the network extender based on its MAC address. Only DNS, NTP, SSH, and packets bound for my ISP's WAN get higher priority. During calls I can watch graphs of the router's outbound bandwidth on the router's private administration website. Outbound calls are using 6 Kbps per line. When the problem occurs, there is no drop in the outbound bandwidth from the router, and no other inbound or outbound traffic is happening. Pings to the remote IP address of the server the network extender uses seem to average about 40-50 ms, but I think I've seen them as high as 100-110 ms a few times. The path between my router and the network extender server IP is about 15-20 hops. Based on reverse DNS it appears to transit from me (Kansas) to Atlanta to New York to Dallas to Verizon (location unknown). Device. To rule out a faulty device, I had Verizon replace it with an identical certified used Galaxy S4. The problem occurs on the replacement phone too. To help isolate the problem on the phone, I bought a Bluetooth earbud. I also have a Bluetooth handsfree system in my car. The problem has never occurred using either Bluetooth device. I've verified that noise cancellation and sound personalization are both turned off during calls. The problem also occurs when running in safe mode, which disables non-Verizon apps. Location. I make 95% of my calls from my apartment. I seem to recall having the problem standing in the parking lot outside my apartment a couple times, but don't really remember the problem occurring anywhere else that's away from my apartment. My sample size isn't very large for calls away from home. As for possible sources of interference, I've got a microwave, a dual-band 802.11n WiFi router, and my spouse has a Verizon HTC Droid Incredible 2. Since it's an apartment building, I'm near many other people, and I don't know what they're doing in their units. My spouse with the HTC phone, which is now also routing over the network extender, has never had the problems I'm having. I upgraded to the Galaxy S4 from an HTC Thunderbolt and didn't have problems before upgrading either. The lack of problems with two different HTC devices in this location and the verified signal between the Galaxy S4 and the network extender make me think a location-specific problem is unlikely. I also haven't heard any complaints from neighbors about cell phones not working locally. NEXT STEPS I'm running out of things to test. I've worked with several Verizon techs on the issue and seem to have exhausted their toolkit/knowledgebase. It seems like it's either a systemic hardware or software defect in the Galaxy S4 design. What else should/could I check? I work from home and rely on the phone, so I've invested a lot of time and money to try to solve this. All help appreciated!