Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,297 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

WorldTravel3633's Posts

I just got through my Hong Kong portion of my trip with the SIM card activated.  It took a while (~20 min) to register on the network once I arrived but once it came up the phone worked fine.  I ... See more...
I just got through my Hong Kong portion of my trip with the SIM card activated.  It took a while (~20 min) to register on the network once I arrived but once it came up the phone worked fine.  I also did get a call from VZ support apologizing for the issue, the SIM card was not activated upon global activation. 
Update as of April 14:   VZ Email support took about 4 days but finally did activate the SIM card (GSM) on my D2G.  It is now operating correctly in the Philippines.  The Philippines is a mix o... See more...
Update as of April 14:   VZ Email support took about 4 days but finally did activate the SIM card (GSM) on my D2G.  It is now operating correctly in the Philippines.  The Philippines is a mix of CDMA and GSM networks.  The next test is Hong Kong (also GSM).   Lesson is to verify directly that the phone is activated internationally and GSM (the SIM card) is activated.  In my case VZ only activated CDMA internationally (even though the previous phone had CDMA and GSM activated).   I will mark this issue resolved if the phone operates successfully in Hong Kong this week....  I am still not confident the activation is complete.
Good suggestions.  I was just trying to swap sims.  On the D2G I was hoping that it would connect to a GSM 3G network but reject the SIM, but it went into programming mode instead.  I shut it dow... See more...
Good suggestions.  I was just trying to swap sims.  On the D2G I was hoping that it would connect to a GSM 3G network but reject the SIM, but it went into programming mode instead.  I shut it down and removed the battery, cannot afford to brick this phone even with its limited global capability.   The Verizon SIM in the Blackberry allowed the phone to boot and when I tried to force it to GSM 3G it refused!  Even selecting Globe Telecom-PH 3G (the strongest signal around here) it refuses and goes back to searching for networks.  Returning the European sim to the phone and the Verizon SIM back to the D2G has restored them to their proper states.   The D2G is frustrating, it only reports "Roaming" and no network informaiton.  I cannot force it onto GSM, either it does nothing, or reports a network connection error (No GSM Networks Found - even though at least 6 are listed, 2G & 3G), and I now finally see it tries to connect to SMART vodafone NL and fails to connect until I put it back into global mode.   I have used in country SIMS as well and they are very inexpensive for personal use.  They are inconvenient when you are working in a world wide capacity (6+ countries) and one phone number is prefered.   My AT&T based colleagues do not have this issue in Asia (And my previous VZ Blackberry Storm did not either).  The D2G either is defective, has an inferior antenna/network selection algoritm, or the new Verizon SIM is staying off networks that used to work for me.  I am leaning toward Verizon having an overly restricted SIM card, I am beginning to think it is sticking to the Vodaphone network.    
I have had a similar problem in Asia a couple of years ago.  Once the service is activated n the US, you must enter *228 in your phone BEFORE leaving US shores to activate the device.  It takes a... See more...
I have had a similar problem in Asia a couple of years ago.  Once the service is activated n the US, you must enter *228 in your phone BEFORE leaving US shores to activate the device.  It takes a little time to come back as "activated" (automated voice reponse).  Once I discovered that it was not working in Asia I was able to get a stateside family member to contact Verizon to activate the phone.  It is unfortunate there is not 24/7 online web support for when phones fail to operate overseas, and the landline calls for support are expensive, especially from a hotel room!
I just upgraded my Blackberry Storm 1 to a Droid 2 Global.  I worked through Verizon support to ensure the Droid 2 Global is enabled for international use, and used the *228 feature before leavin... See more...
I just upgraded my Blackberry Storm 1 to a Droid 2 Global.  I worked through Verizon support to ensure the Droid 2 Global is enabled for international use, and used the *228 feature before leaving the US as instructed.  I also had Verizon support unlock the old Blackberry just in case the Droid 2 Global had any issues.   I am glad I have the unlocked Blackberry!  The Droid 2 should have been a direct device upgrade so I am assuming it is enabled in the countries I frequently travel.  So far the Blackberry is still connecting everywhere with a strong 3G signal.   The Droid 2 Global on the other hand is spotty.  It connects in Shenzhen, China with no issue, yet can only see a signal in Hong Kong and refuses to connect.  Now in the Philippines the Droid 2 Global works in Manila but fails to find any service in Laguna (25km south).    In the mean-time the Blackberry is working just fine with a European global SIM card.   I cannot figure out if I have a Verizon issue, or if the Droid 2 Global is an inferior device.  Rebooting and fiddling with the network options has no effect.   Has anyone had these problems and figured out how to resolve them?  Verizon e-mail support has not responded either.