Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,466 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

SallyC's Posts

I've had several calls from people upset that I'm calling them and wanting to know who I am.  But I'm not calling anyone - and I am the only one who uses this phone.   So I assume someone has bee... See more...
I've had several calls from people upset that I'm calling them and wanting to know who I am.  But I'm not calling anyone - and I am the only one who uses this phone.   So I assume someone has been spoofing calls using my number.   Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?  I feel sorry for the people being called but they are quite upset and I don't know what I can do about it.
I had to do a factory data reset on a phone (running Android 5.1.1) this morning and also got the incompatible message when trying to download Google search app from play.  I had to go to apkmirr... See more...
I had to do a factory data reset on a phone (running Android 5.1.1) this morning and also got the incompatible message when trying to download Google search app from play.  I had to go to apkmirror.com to get it.  Without it, Android Wear would not function and let me pair with a watch.  The watch paired fine before the FDR so I assume Google search was originally on the phone. Very frustrating.
I found out the solution!!!  It's so unintuitive but apparently when you are in a trusted place, you want to swipe anywhere on the lock screen except the lock!  By habit/training I swipe the lock... See more...
I found out the solution!!!  It's so unintuitive but apparently when you are in a trusted place, you want to swipe anywhere on the lock screen except the lock!  By habit/training I swipe the lock and I guess that serves to lock it in a trusted place.That's why it asks for my fingerprint.  If I swipe anywhere else on the screen, it opens!  I found this on another forum, where it looks like others were having the same issue I was. Now it works fine!
Thanks for the reply.  I did try a PIN and it still didn't work for me. I'm curious if it's an S6 thing, which version of Play Services you have or something else then.  I've talked to other p... See more...
Thanks for the reply.  I did try a PIN and it still didn't work for me. I'm curious if it's an S6 thing, which version of Play Services you have or something else then.  I've talked to other people and it's not working for them either, but it's interesting it is for you. It's too bad with Android Pay rolling out that Smart Lock is not working properly.   Because I can see people not wanting to put up with putting in a password at home all the time and just ditching Android Pay so they can go back to using a lockscreen app or something that gives them that option.
Thanks for the warning about removing the screen lock.  I like Android Pay, I just wish I could get Smart Lock to work.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge plus running android 5.1.1 and play services 8.1.15.    No root, just stock, no other lock screen apps.  I set up Android Pay which requires screen lock and se... See more...
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge plus running android 5.1.1 and play services 8.1.15.    No root, just stock, no other lock screen apps.  I set up Android Pay which requires screen lock and selected fingerprint.   I also set up Smart Lock> trusted places and trusted devices for both my home location and two Bluetooth devices: my car and my headset.   No matter where I am, or what Bluetooth I'm connected to, the S6 wants a fingerprint to undo the lock screen. This is really frustrating as I'm almost always, if it worked, in a situation where I don't need screen lock.   And if I disable it, because I'm home, Android Pay notifies me that it's going to remove my credit cards!   I hope it just means it will disable them until I start up the screen lock and not that I'd have to go through the whole add a card process again, but I haven't tested it out.  If anyone knows, I'd be curious. But my real issue is what's wrong with Smart Lock?  Is it just me?  Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.  I was excited about using Android Pay and having a more secure phone is always good, but not if Smart Lock is not working.  Then it's just a pain. Thanks.
Ann154 wrote: If they are activating the DROID Razr on their line, their voice and text plan wouldn't change. They would have to add the individual tiered data plan (2 GB for $30) to thei... See more...
Ann154 wrote: If they are activating the DROID Razr on their line, their voice and text plan wouldn't change. They would have to add the individual tiered data plan (2 GB for $30) to their line. If they went to a premium retailer for Verizon Wireless, the store might have been trying to change the plan to the Share Everything Plan which might be more expensive than their current plan even with the data plan added. But do you have to add data to the line?  Can't you keep the exact same plan of minutes and text with no data?  She's being told it's $120/yr ($10/month) but she's not adding data. It's just because there's a smartphone on the line - which sounds crazy to me. Obviously if you didn't add data you wouldn't be able to access the Internet without wifi, but when on wifi you could, which requires nothing from Verizon.  That is what she wants to do.
I have a friend with a dumb phone who just has minutes and text with Verizon.  I gave her my old Droid Razr with the thought that she could still use apps when she's on wifi at home.  But when sh... See more...
I have a friend with a dumb phone who just has minutes and text with Verizon.  I gave her my old Droid Razr with the thought that she could still use apps when she's on wifi at home.  But when she went to the Verizon dealer they told her that she would have to pay $10/mo to have the phone on her line (instead of her dumb phone) even without data. That seems crazy to me as she doesn't want data, isn't signing up for, or getting data.  As far as I can tell, she'd be getting nothing for this added fee.  Does Verizon really charge $120/year just because a phone can work like an iPod Touch and access the Internet via home wifi?   Or did someone tell her wrong and she just needs to go back? Thanks.
mrpearsoy wrote: if you want to use the iphone in the exact same way as the ipod touch with no phone service, thenyes you can use it as such. If you want phone service on it, you will hav... See more...
mrpearsoy wrote: if you want to use the iphone in the exact same way as the ipod touch with no phone service, thenyes you can use it as such. If you want phone service on it, you will have to have a data plan irregardless of the phones age. Sorry I didn't make my question very clear.  How do I go about activating the phone?  Do I need a SIM card (and where do I get it if I don't have a plan for the phone) or is there another way to activate it?  I don't need or want the cellular or data part of it because of my Razr, but I would like to be able to use the other features over wifi.  Thanks.
I have a Droid Razr on Verizon that  I'm very happy with.  But I'm using an iPod touch in my home as server for photos and other things over wifi and airplay.   I'm thinking of getting a used iPh... See more...
I have a Droid Razr on Verizon that  I'm very happy with.  But I'm using an iPod touch in my home as server for photos and other things over wifi and airplay.   I'm thinking of getting a used iPhone and using that in place of my touch and am wondering if I can activate it without a data or cellular plan - just using it over wifi.   Is that possible and, if so, how?  Apple support says here you can do it by inserting a SIM card, connecting it to iTunes and activating it but I've heard Verizon doesn't have a SIM card for iPhones.  I'm clueless about this, as you can tell, so any instructions or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
AngelaSimsPhotography wrote: Sally, I just encountered this problem tonight - and you totally saved me a call to Verizon and/or a visit to the Verizon store.  Thanks so much!  Aw... See more...
AngelaSimsPhotography wrote: Sally, I just encountered this problem tonight - and you totally saved me a call to Verizon and/or a visit to the Verizon store.  Thanks so much!  Awesome! Glad things are back to working like they should!
Smash Ogre wrote: I think if I were you I'd reach out to the folks that produce GO software and see what they have to say. I used their SMS app for a few days but it drove me batty lol ... See more...
Smash Ogre wrote: I think if I were you I'd reach out to the folks that produce GO software and see what they have to say. I used their SMS app for a few days but it drove me batty lol I have emailed them.  I'll post back if I hear anything.
Smash Ogre wrote: Just answered my own question - nada zip zilch so far as I can see on either Go SMS or Go Contacts descriptors. This is really bad, what if you HAD been the one needing ... See more...
Smash Ogre wrote: Just answered my own question - nada zip zilch so far as I can see on either Go SMS or Go Contacts descriptors. This is really bad, what if you HAD been the one needing emergency services??!! This isn't an action one should have to think about it should just work, everytime from every dialer on the market. I totally agree! There are so many scenarios where you could be the only one available to call for help.  And to have no clue why the phone isn't completing the call is the last thing you should have to be thinking of. I've heard different theories on why, from a technology point of view, 911 only works on the stock dialer, but yet to hear who's idea it was to restrict the code access so other dialers can't use this feature.  Seems like fodder for a lawsuit imho.  I hope this raises the level of awareness for other people, but also gets it changed so all dialers can have access to this important function. 
Smash Ogre wrote: I agree 100%. There isn't anything on the Go SMS app page either? I was using GO Contacts EX and there's nothing in the Description to warn you of this.  But it's ... See more...
Smash Ogre wrote: I agree 100%. There isn't anything on the Go SMS app page either? I was using GO Contacts EX and there's nothing in the Description to warn you of this.  But it's not just that app, from what I understand, it's all non-stock phone dialers. I don't know why this restriction is in place but it seems insane to me.
I had my phone powered on, and use a lock screen which I swipe to unlock.  I don't think there's anything unusual about the way I have it set up.  Whether or not there is some icon when you power... See more...
I had my phone powered on, and use a lock screen which I swipe to unlock.  I don't think there's anything unusual about the way I have it set up.  Whether or not there is some icon when you power up, or some other esoteric knowledge or work around might be interesting, but it's not really helpful if an average person like myself isn't aware of it.  My concern is that folks, like myself, who are using a non-stock dialer don't realize they can't call 911 with it.  Which is bad enough, but the fact that there's nothing - like even a pop up window - to tell you at the time why it's not working is even worse. In this case we were on a crowded highway so I can only assume and hope that someone else's phone worked.   This seems unacceptable to me for something where you can be in a life threatening situation and seconds count.
Duewester wrote: Hi Sally, When you power on the phone, there should be the emergency call icon in the lower left. That allows the phone to be used for emergencies without even the need ... See more...
Duewester wrote: Hi Sally, When you power on the phone, there should be the emergency call icon in the lower left. That allows the phone to be used for emergencies without even the need to log in. Does that work for you? Then you could keep your other dialer. Are you speaking of the apps that are along the bottom of your screen, two on either side of your Apps icon (in ICS)?  That is the stock phone app that I replaced with Go Contacts and their Dialer. I don't see any other icon and there was no need to log in.  I just unlocked my phone and hit my dialer and tried to call 911.
Smash Ogre wrote: Not at all sure why the restriction is there but the stock dialers data disabling has been around awhile - there is a notification that you can pull down to well, disabl... See more...
Smash Ogre wrote: Not at all sure why the restriction is there but the stock dialers data disabling has been around awhile - there is a notification that you can pull down to well, disable the disabling lol. Scary and I'm glad you did not end up part of it! I didn't see any notification at any time during or after this.  But admittedly I was very busy.  A popup on the dialer saying I needed to use the stock phone app would have been more helpful.  Or have the key sequence of 911 launch the stock app. I don't understand why this restriction is even in place.   At a time when you are obviously in an emergency this seems like an unnecessary, potentially life threatening, problem.
Over the weekend we encountered a rather severe multiple car accident on the highway. It had just occurred and as we're trying to not be a part of it I am also trying to dial 911.   The problem i... See more...
Over the weekend we encountered a rather severe multiple car accident on the highway. It had just occurred and as we're trying to not be a part of it I am also trying to dial 911.   The problem is nothing is happening - no call is going through, it just keeps returning me to my contact list. I now know that the problem is I was using the phone dialer with GO Contacts and apparently only the stock Android phone dialer can dial 911.  This seems crazy to me - and even crazier that there's no notification when you try and make an emergency call that you must find and open the stock dialer.   I've also heard that if I had managed to use the stock dialer and complete the call, my data would be disabled for 5 minutes.  Again, I can hardly believe that but at this point I'm suspending disbelief. Needless to say I ditched GO SMS.  It's not that I dial 911 very often - but that's part of the problem. I don't want to be in that postion again and be trying to figure out/ remember why it's not working.  It seems at the least these apps should have a warning on the Play page. Does anyone know if there's a plan to open emergency calls up to non-stock dialers or why this restriction is in place?
B33 wrote: Hey There you are you little sneaky Doodle   How ya been Sally.. Did ya have a Good 4th of July.. Been busy with various things.   Mostly watching time fly.
Glad you got it working again, Jen.   I'm not sure why it did what it did - these phones can be a mystery sometimes.  It's possible that it's related to the software update, or maybe a low batter... See more...
Glad you got it working again, Jen.   I'm not sure why it did what it did - these phones can be a mystery sometimes.  It's possible that it's related to the software update, or maybe a low battery.  If the battery gets too low - or hot - it will go into a protective shutdown, but it's anyone's guess. Every 2-3 months I'd do the discharge/charge cycle I mentioned a few posts back just to be sure your battery monitor is accurate.  If you have the new ICS update (the 4.0.4 B33 mentioned) it has a better battery display, but I still prefer a battery indicator that shows me in 1% increments in my notification bar.  You can find them in the Play store.  Thanks for posting - it's nice to hear when things work out!