Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 7,855 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Brobdingnag's Posts

Readers should know: XT1929 is the actual Model number of the Z3 Play, with the submodel being a number afterwards, e.g. XT1929-4 is the North American unlocked model sold directly by Motorola's US ... See more...
Readers should know: XT1929 is the actual Model number of the Z3 Play, with the submodel being a number afterwards, e.g. XT1929-4 is the North American unlocked model sold directly by Motorola's US web store. https://fccid.io/IHDT56XE5/Letter/Product-Equality-Declaration-3788587.pdf    
I'm sorry. The link I posted on the Z3 Play models is wrong.  This is the right one.   https://fccid.io/IHDT56XE5/Letter/Product-Equality-Declaration-3788587.pdf    
My last post on my issue.  The info serves as references to others similarly troubled. I use right now two Verizon branded Droid Maxx.  One has a VZW SIM card, and the other a Tracfone Verizon card,... See more...
My last post on my issue.  The info serves as references to others similarly troubled. I use right now two Verizon branded Droid Maxx.  One has a VZW SIM card, and the other a Tracfone Verizon card, used as backup for the VZW phone. For over 4 years, these phones have traveled across the CONTUS, from Maine, to Key West, CA and Oregon and all states between.  The reception between both is identical, kept side by side, 365/7.  One account cost 4x more than the other. But here are key differences. The VZW does not have visual voice mail but has VoLTE.  If we pop in the Tracfone card, visual voice mail appears for that account and VoLTE option disappears from the menu. Likewise, if we put the VZW SIM card in the Tracfone account phone, the visual voice mail disappears and VoLTE menu appears. Side by side, at peak times, between 10am-4pm, While the VZW SIM Maxx phone is always on LTE, the Tracfone varies often its on 3G, at night and wekends the  LTE often appears, but not on VoLTE, because we can hear the difference in voice quality particularly if you leave voice mail to someone and play it back.  But if we switch SIM cards, the Tracfone Maxx phone becomes a VZW phone. Both have identical reception as far as the signal strenght bars.  Also, when LTE is not available data on the Tracfone phone crawls at 3G.  I am not complaining, that's why its Tracfone. So clearly, Verizon can control the phone features, as well as prioritize their VZW accounts over others, MVNO at least, probably limit phones models too , as they please. So in the end, if you don't buy a Verzion branded phone, expect to be treated differently, at worst, same at best, for the same monthly fee.
@crapshootvegas wrote: You're exactly right: Purchasing a Verizon-branded phone locks in revenue until the consumer is ready to purchase a new device. What Verizon customer support reps seem to o... See more...
@crapshootvegas wrote: You're exactly right: Purchasing a Verizon-branded phone locks in revenue until the consumer is ready to purchase a new device. What Verizon customer support reps seem to overlook is the fact that locking functionality on unlocked devices will ultimately drive consumers away. I stood in a Verizon store yesterday with an "incompatible" device in my hand, three feet from the same Verizon-branded device. The rep told me my only options for having a fully-functional device are to return the unlocked device and purchase either the identical phone, Verizon-branded, or a different phone that's compatible. My response: No, I can go across the parking lot to ATT and make this phone fully functional on their network because ATT doesn't have anything blocked on this phone. She was fine with that decision, but I was able to get it working myself, including retrieving "lost forever" contacts from (unsubscribed) Verizon cloud that supposedly weren't there when I was standing in the store. Now that I've resolved things, I'm happy with my unlocked, unbranded device. Getting to "resolved" was extremely frustrating though. To reinforce this issue, here is an official document provided to the FCC by Motorola regarding the Z3 Play describing the similarities and differences of the various versions, Verizon and other unlocked. https://fccid.io/IHDT56WL5/Letter/Product-Equality-Declaration-3754441.pdf There is no hardware difference between the VZW and the unlocked NA, North American, version except the reduction in LTE band in the VZW version, you can see for yourselves.  This was released to the public in 2018, and the letter reflects design issues from 2016.  So, its no excuse that this information wasn't known to Verizon ahead of time.  Knowing about phones is their profession, not mine. So the only reason the VZW phone can provide added features is either its in the VZW firmware explicitly turning on features, or features are activated or deactivated when the IMEI identifies in network what type of phone it is, VZW or not.  So, BYOD and VZW of the same model, can always be treated differently, and you cannot do anything about it but complain.  
@mama23dogs wrote: @Brobdingnag   Agree.   The list is no longer updated, and the website with compatible phones only includes a few 'popular' models.   And for gosh sakes, stop blocking Wifi ca... See more...
@mama23dogs wrote: @Brobdingnag   Agree.   The list is no longer updated, and the website with compatible phones only includes a few 'popular' models.   And for gosh sakes, stop blocking Wifi calling!   I can enable it, but it does not work.   Neither AT&T or Verizon will comment on why they exclude them, other than they are excluded.  Other carriers just allow it.  (T-mobile).   Agree.  In the end, carriers can do whatever it wants.  So if they choose to do things that make their branded phones looks better, e.g. disable features in BYOD [ hey, see our store phones are better!], add more activation work in BYOD,  owner is SOOL, it is after all, their product, aka network. However, we vote with our dollars and a multi-banded phone allows you to go to the better deal.  LTE is such that there is little difference in voice, data quality between ATT and Verizon except for the breadth of the network, and those two are on par, and I use ATT LTE phones for work.   The big battle now for who will be better in 5G, but that's for tomorrow.  Today, we just want the best LTE deal as 3G is being retired.  I remain with Verizon only as my IMEI issue was fixed, but not by any clear policy of theirs, so any repeat of this episode means repeated pain, and I will bolt. I only need to use LTE for B2B voice calls, all personal calls I use data and a messenger, calls are "free" so far as wifi is free, unlimited, international, and far richer than the network [ video calls, sending multimedia, links etc.,], and I wait to make such calls when I get time and quality wifi, which is often from some a hotel or Comcast hotspot!  So voice quality over a cell network is only a smaller subset of what I use the phone for now,  data on when I have too at the moment and wifi is no were around, and Verizon doesn't have a monopoly on either anymore. Enjoy, Verizon, can you hear me now?
@mama23dogs wrote: @Brobdingnag  @crapshootvegas  if you are bringing a non-Verizon smart phone you will probably have to have it activated at a company store so that your line is provisioned f... See more...
@mama23dogs wrote: @Brobdingnag  @crapshootvegas  if you are bringing a non-Verizon smart phone you will probably have to have it activated at a company store so that your line is provisioned for CDMA-less service.   when I switched in with a one plus 6T, they did have to provision the line Good to know.  Its one reason Verizon should have a clear policy for BYOD activation, should such provisioning be needed, given the sunset of 3G.
Based on this list, I bought a Motorola Z3 Play but still the IMEI number was not registered despite being on this 'certified' unlocked Android Smartphone list. Took me 2 hours of tech support calls... See more...
Based on this list, I bought a Motorola Z3 Play but still the IMEI number was not registered despite being on this 'certified' unlocked Android Smartphone list. Took me 2 hours of tech support calls and they could not help, but the issue fixed itself the next day.  I presume they found out that such phones are ok but didn't inform me, I was boxing the phone to return it to Motorola since I have a limited time to return it no-questions asked. So, beware buyers non-Verizon phones is not a smooth purchase as it could be. Suffice to say, the competitors networks beginning with, A, T, S, were far more willing to get me and all confirmed quickly my phone works on their networks. Since the IMEI number clearly identifies what the phone is, and very likely not faked, which is illegal, why such a hassle adding the IMEI in the database, Verizon should make a policy that is clear: All certified BYOD can be used with existing active Verizon accounts through the web portal or by phone call or All certified BYOD must be brought to a Verizon store to be officially checked  before activation for any account, new or existing   Then we all know what we face, the latter choice being a more painful one.   @carol_vzw wrote: To ensure voice and data work properly, only select BYOD devices with approved hardware and software are allowed for use on the Verizon Wireless network.     Manufacturer Model Model Number Alcatel A30 A30 Plus Idol 5S 5046S 5049S 6060S BlackBerry KEYone KEY2 LE BBB-100-3 BBE-100-5 BLU VIVO XI VIVI XI+ VIVO XI VIVO XI Plus Essential PH-1 PH-1 Google Nexus 6P Nexus 5X Pixel 3 Pixel 3 XL Pixel 2 Pixel 2 XL Pixel Pixel XL Huawei- H1511 LG-H790 G013A GO13C G011A G011C G-2PW4100 G-2PW2100 HP Elite X3 Elite X3 HTC U12 U11 U12 U11 LG LG G7 LG G6 Unlocked LG G5 Unlocked LG K20V Unlocked LG Stylo 4 LG V20 Unlocked LG V30S ThinQ LG V35 ThinQ LM-G710ULM LG-US997 LG-RS988 LG-RS501 LM-Q710-ULM LG-US996 LG-US998 LM-V30ULM Motorola Moto G7 Unlocked Moto G7 Power Unlocked Moto G6 Moto G6 Play Moto G5 Plus Moto G4 Moto G4 Plus Moto G4 Play Moto G5 S Plus Moto X Pure Edition Moto E (4th generation) Moto E Plus (4th generation) Moto Z3 Play Moto Z2 Play Motorola Nexus 6 XT-1962-1 XT-1955-5 XT-1925-6 XT-1922-9 XT-1687 XT-1625 XT-1644 XT-1607 XT-1806 XT-1575 XT-1768 XT-1775 XT-1921-4 XT-1701 Nexus 6 – Non VZW *Chinese Range (starting with 35547) excluded OnePlus 6T 6T Orbic Wonder RC555L Project Freedom (Quality One) Sentry ADR 1776 Razer Phone 2 Phone 2 Samsung Galaxy S10 Unlocked Galaxy S10+ Unlocked Galaxy S10 SE Unlocked Galaxy S9 Unlocked Galaxy S9+ Unlocked Galaxy S8 Unlocked Galaxy S8+ Unlocked Galaxy S7 Unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge Unlocked Galaxy Note 9 Unlocked Galaxy Note 8 Unlocked SM-G970U1 SM-G973U1 SM-G975U1 SM-G960U1   SM-G965U1 SM-G950U1 SM-G955U1 SM-G930U SM-G935U SM-N950U1 SM-N960U1 Sony Xperia 10 Xperia 10 Plus Xperia XZ2 Xperia XA2 I3123 I3223 H8314 (Dual-SIM model H8324 is not compatible) H3123 TCL LX1 LX2 LX1 LX2   View a list of approved BYOD Apple devices.  
Thank you for the quick reply .  Yes, on the bold highlights, that is understood. Thank you for confirming that very likely, a Verzion tech indeed likely put my IMEI number in their database, as o... See more...
Thank you for the quick reply .  Yes, on the bold highlights, that is understood. Thank you for confirming that very likely, a Verzion tech indeed likely put my IMEI number in their database, as only they and Moto know the number in question. But Verizon should also say so clearly, when it says BYOD phones are allowed into their network, that some functions will/may not work and that as a non-Verizon phone, such issues should be expected.  I knew this already beforehand, such as WIfi calling, from reading many non-official discussions, but Verizon should mention this explicitly on a FAQ or such. https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Android-General/Wifi-Calling-Service-on-BYOD-Unlocked-Phones/td-p/1007924  Thank you for the quick review, and I leave this message for others in the future who will likely encounter such unecessary trouble.   @vzw_customer_support wrote: We know how important it is to have your device working correctly, we'll be glad to clarify this for you. For certain devices it is necessary to manually add them to our database. Keep in mind that since it is not Verizon device, we can't guarantee that all services will work correctly with it.   AlfredoL_VZW  
What seems to have happened is someone entered it into Verizon database. It can only be someone with Verizon because another identical Z3 Play XT1929-4, whose IMEI was not known to any Verizon tech,... See more...
What seems to have happened is someone entered it into Verizon database. It can only be someone with Verizon because another identical Z3 Play XT1929-4, whose IMEI was not known to any Verizon tech, remains 'not compatible'.  This hassle would discourage consumers from buying non-Verizon branded phones since the IMEI check is very easy to do before actually buying a phone, particularly if done retail, even if technically a phone would work.  I spoke to Moto that it would impact their sales if this issue was left unresolved, and Verizon has no incentive to be responsive unless Moto and Verizon have a firm agreement not to let this IMEI issue drag on. Finally, if Verzion requires non-Verzion BYOD or ODI phones to be checked at Verizon stores physically, they should say so, to avoid the long telephone calls hassles that have no resolution.  
I used this post as well this https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Bring-Your-Own-Device/Verizon-Certified-Unlocked-Android-Smartphones/m-p/1089311  To help decide on buying this phone to use o... See more...
I used this post as well this https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Bring-Your-Own-Device/Verizon-Certified-Unlocked-Android-Smartphones/m-p/1089311  To help decide on buying this phone to use on Verizon. It is also advertised by Moto directly as Verizon compatible. I bought an unlocked Z3 Play XT1929-4, the specific sub-model, from Moto and while activating it found IMEI was not registered with Verizon as compatible using this: https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/ This message was displayed. " Unfortunately, you can't activate this device on our network right now. Give us a call at 800.922.0204 to activate or shop our most popular devices." I also used similar websites from the other 3 cellphone providers to check the status of the IMEI, and all three web sites confirmed it was compatible with their networks, as expected and advertised by Motorola. I then checked with two Verizon MVNO websites, and it too returned, its not compatible, as expected. However, all functions expect of the phone work as I tested it using my existing Verizon SIM card that I simply removed from my working phone, and I then I spent an hour each with Verizon and Moto tech Tier 2 support, to resolve the IMEI issue. Moto said it was Verizon's job to insure the IMEI numbers were in their compatibility database. Verizon said it was Moto's fault, and if the IMEI number isn't there, it means it isn't compatible. Verizon tech agreed I should return the phone, and I asked the Moto tech for an RMA since brand new, returns are free. Yesterday, the IMEI in question is now in the database. However, when I took an identical friend's Z3 Play phone and checked his IMEI against the Verizon database, it too was not compatible.  My phone was manufactured in October, 2019, and my friend phone was April 2019.  There was clearly enough time to register these numbers, or to program the database to identify the phone's specs, and decide if its compatible or not, since any IMEI checker website can do the same. Therefore, ODI or BYOD phones can be a major pain activating, if you don't already have an activated SIM card. I think this is Verizon's issue and it should be escalated to management.  This is not the first time its happened to a compatible phone, but could be a ploy to force customers to buy Verizon stocked phones, which are always in the database, versus from other sources.         @carol_vzw wrote: From Motorola:   With moto z3 play, go all weekend with up to 40 hours of combined battery life just by snapping on a moto mod™. Plus, get a virtually borderless display, dual depth-sensing cameras, and more.    
I've used both, Apple at work and personal phone is Android, for > 10 years. As another said, Apple phones are very secure and predictable in behavior as the guts are closed to outside developers an... See more...
I've used both, Apple at work and personal phone is Android, for > 10 years. As another said, Apple phones are very secure and predictable in behavior as the guts are closed to outside developers and the app approval is fairly strict, so software and hardware are well coordinated.   For all general usage as phone: voice, apps, text, web store etc., the experience is predictable and 'bug' free.  However, you pay for many things you get free in the chaotic world of Android phones. Android OTAH, you can get Apple like functionality for 10% of Apple's cost, and no recurring charges, as if you know how to get around it, you can, and the key is the 'know'.  So generally, if you are tech savvy, Android is a bang for buck.   As for the bugs and chaos, you need to customize and tweak whatever version of Android you get, that differs with each manufacturer, to insure it works as intended.  I set up Android and iPhone look as similar as possible in layout, so I can switch between each easily. So, it really comes down to how much you will spend monthly, plus the cost of the phone, and if you can stomach Android glitching now and then. If you already use Android, then you know what to expect, then its cheaper to stay Android and find the lowest cost plan.  If you just want a phone to do this and that, and never have to tweak it, Apple is better, but at a price.
I've not had this issue.  I live in the NE USA.  Usually they answer in 1 min, and they even seem relaxed and not rushed.  Maybe they don't get so many calls here because most NE folks can work it on... See more...
I've not had this issue.  I live in the NE USA.  Usually they answer in 1 min, and they even seem relaxed and not rushed.  Maybe they don't get so many calls here because most NE folks can work it online now? I use online chat most of the time to resolve issues, works 99.99%. Yesterday, and I had rare long 50 min discussion with Tier 2 support on a brand new unlocked smartphone bought retail,  I was connected to support in 1 minute or so, and 50 min is a long time to talk to anyone; reinforce my hunch that voice lines are not as busy as before.  I then called the phone maker, same thing, connected to a tech in 1-2 min, but it was a non-USA call center.