Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 6,907 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

crapshootvegas's Posts

You're exactly right: Purchasing a Verizon-branded phone locks in revenue until the consumer is ready to purchase a new device. What Verizon customer support reps seem to overlook is the fact that lo... See more...
You're exactly right: Purchasing a Verizon-branded phone locks in revenue until the consumer is ready to purchase a new device. What Verizon customer support reps seem to overlook is the fact that locking functionality on unlocked devices will ultimately drive consumers away. I stood in a Verizon store yesterday with an "incompatible" device in my hand, three feet from the same Verizon-branded device. The rep told me my only options for having a fully-functional device are to return the unlocked device and purchase either the identical phone, Verizon-branded, or a different phone that's compatible. My response: No, I can go across the parking lot to ATT and make this phone fully functional on their network because ATT doesn't have anything blocked on this phone. She was fine with that decision, but I was able to get it working myself, including retrieving "lost forever" contacts from (unsubscribed) Verizon cloud that supposedly weren't there when I was standing in the store. Now that I've resolved things, I'm happy with my unlocked, unbranded device. Getting to "resolved" was extremely frustrating though.
I was able to activate my unlocked LG G8 ThinQ via live chat with Verizon, but honestly, going to a store would've been much simpler than getting live help online. The only other issue I've found wi... See more...
I was able to activate my unlocked LG G8 ThinQ via live chat with Verizon, but honestly, going to a store would've been much simpler than getting live help online. The only other issue I've found with the unlocked G8 is it isn't compatible with Verizon Visual Voicemail. Third-party apps work, though.
I've figured this all out now. There was a 12-hour period after I attempted to activate my device on Verizon using "Activate or switch devices" that Verizon recognized my new device but didn't activa... See more...
I've figured this all out now. There was a 12-hour period after I attempted to activate my device on Verizon using "Activate or switch devices" that Verizon recognized my new device but didn't activate/assign to my phone number. During that period, I received two voicemail messages in the form of garbled texts. Those messages came immediately upon successful activation, and I deleted them because they weren't readable/usable. I actually deleted my own voicemails (texts), it seems, without realizing that's what I was doing. I then blocked Verizon Premium Visual Voicemail for two reasons: 1) I don't want visual voicemail; and 2) it isn't even possible to get Verizon Visual Voicemail on my device (it's grayed out, cannot be installed, device not compatible—even though Verizon sells this same device. I can, however, use VVM with a third-party app that retrieves VVM messages with no problem; it can't retrieve the ones I manually deleted when I didn't know they were VVM messages. That was a long-winded way to say it's resolved, but in case anyone else encounters this, I wanted to give details of why it happened and what to do/not do (don't delete garbled texts! lol) if faced with this.
On my newly-activated (unlocked) LG G8 ThinQ, I have only one option for voicemail: Premium Visual Voicemail, which I blocked. I'm not paying for voicemail and can find no way to retrieve new voicema... See more...
On my newly-activated (unlocked) LG G8 ThinQ, I have only one option for voicemail: Premium Visual Voicemail, which I blocked. I'm not paying for voicemail and can find no way to retrieve new voicemail messages. As usual, none of the solutions in the forum work. I want basic voicemail functionality that doesn't send my voicemail via garbled text that serves no purpose other than to annoy / seek to force users into increased monthly bills. This phone works on ATT, as does the one I really wanted that doesn't work on Verizon at all—the LG G8X ThinQ —but I really don't want ATT services if I can avoid it. How do I retrieve my voicemail without adding to my bill?
This issue is resolved. I spoke to a support representative via live chat who was able to activate for me. Thanks for your help.
I don't see the LG G8 ThinQ, which is sold through retailers as Verizon-compatible, and is also available via Verizon Upgrade. I purchased this phone yesterday and had trouble activating it. VZW supp... See more...
I don't see the LG G8 ThinQ, which is sold through retailers as Verizon-compatible, and is also available via Verizon Upgrade. I purchased this phone yesterday and had trouble activating it. VZW support agent was successful in activating via live chat, but now I wonder if it will even work properly. Can you confirm/deny for me? Thank you.
"You have no private messages": my Inbox.
The best —in fact, the only —number to reach me is the phone that won't activate. Therein lies the problem.
I purchased an unlocked LG G8 ThinQ. I followed instructions given at VerizonWireless for activating the phone using "Activate or Switch Device" from the Devices drop-down menu. However, one step of ... See more...
I purchased an unlocked LG G8 ThinQ. I followed instructions given at VerizonWireless for activating the phone using "Activate or Switch Device" from the Devices drop-down menu. However, one step of Verizon's instructions, "Phone Activation" (that displays the device's phone number if/when properly activated), never appeared in the setup process, so the phone failed to activate. The IMEI and ICCID are verified by Verizon. I find no information anywhere on Verizon's website that helps, and I have no phone to call customer support since the phone won't activate. Note: My previous phone is dead. My only method of transferring data is via Google backup, which cannot be accessed until Google can send two-step authentication codes to my new phone, which cannot activate until I can access Google. I'm stuck in an infinite loop.