Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,119 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

MadDogFL62's Posts

...and don't let Verizon's "serious software testing" delay your Microsoft BAND purchase.  This very cool new device requires Windows Phone 8.1 to run and here's how you can get 8.1 on your Veriz... See more...
...and don't let Verizon's "serious software testing" delay your Microsoft BAND purchase.  This very cool new device requires Windows Phone 8.1 to run and here's how you can get 8.1 on your Verizon Windows Phone... It's called the Microsoft Windows Phone Preview for Developers (write this down Verizon): Register as an app developer – Windows app development Click the link above and register.  Then, download the app and you will have access to the most recent developer version for Windows Phone 8.1.  All of the features that Verizon has been dragging their feet on (except Cyan) will be loaded to your device!  Cortana, Notification Center, Folders and more!  In addition, apps and devices that require 8.1 will also now work with your phone.  I find the preview to be Microsoft's way of getting around the carrier delays and still keeping the customer somewhat satisfied.  I certainly am! So load up that Developer Preview and head out this weekend to buy that Microsoft BAND before they run out of stock.  It can also be ordered out of the Microsoft Store with 2-day shipping!
Those of you who have filed complaints have probably already heard back from your "Verizon Executive Offices" Rep regarding your claim.  Quincy Byrd is my Rep and I have had a few conversations w... See more...
Those of you who have filed complaints have probably already heard back from your "Verizon Executive Offices" Rep regarding your claim.  Quincy Byrd is my Rep and I have had a few conversations with him regarding the Cyan 8.1 delay.  Conversations are "shallow", but seem to echo what Joe Belfiore had to say on Twitter today: http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-working-its-windows-phone-81cyan-updates I believe that there are challenges in getting the new XLTE to perform on the ICON device (and possibly others).  I am sure that there is a finger pointing session going on between VZW and MSFT.  Whatever.  The problem should have been identified 2 months ago. I find Joe's comments about "Verizon taking quality seriously..." to be over exaggerated. Isn't this the same carrier who just dropped the Lumia ICON and refuses to carry the Lumia 730 until 2015?  That's serious?  Anyway, "serious" is what I continue to discuss with Quincy.  What can be done about pre-testing devices?  What can be done about allowing non-business customers to help test releases?  My company was involved in the LTE rollout and the testing of other devices.  So why not allow non-business / enthusiast-type users to help?  At the rate we are going, Cyan is going to be released close to the same day that Verizon gets Denim to test.  If you have your Rep's contact information, continue to pound them with requests for resolution, shorter wait times, and improved testing processes. Remember that Cyan and 8.1 have been available for Verizon to test since July 15th, 2014.  Developer Previews were available before that.  Now, all of a sudden, Verizon has found bugs they want fixed 3+ months later?  Not only was there no pre-testing here, but it would be realistic to say that Verizon sat on the update for several weeks before testing. Yeah.  Taking quality seriously. 
Update:  Got another call from the "Executive Offices" from Verizon about 9 days ago.  Representative wants to speak to me "right away" about additional communication from the FCC about my compla... See more...
Update:  Got another call from the "Executive Offices" from Verizon about 9 days ago.  Representative wants to speak to me "right away" about additional communication from the FCC about my complaint. Well, Mr. Quincy Byrd should then return MY call if he is so anxious to speak to me about my complaint.  I called him back at 770-521-5642 as he requested and that was close to a week ago. I am sure that by tomorrow afternoon, I will lose my patience and end up calling him again.  I'll let you know what words of wisdom Quincy has.  Maybe he can explain canceling the ICON, too - since that is my current device with them.
I put my complaint in the second week after Microsoft announced their release to the carriers.  At about the 25 day mark, I got an email from Verizon telling me that the update was delayed, that ... See more...
I put my complaint in the second week after Microsoft announced their release to the carriers.  At about the 25 day mark, I got an email from Verizon telling me that the update was delayed, that they were still testing, and that I could enjoy shopping for Accessories on their Website if I wanted.  Yeah, what a bunch of clowns. I responded to the email saying the delays were unacceptable.  I, then, took my received and sent email with Verizon and faxed it in to the FCC with another cover letter revisiting my complaint.  After a few weeks, I got a standard - almost form letter from the FCC stating that my letter was being attached to my original complaint and would be turned over to an FCC representative.  That was about 2 weeks ago. During this timeline, I have also heard from other forum members who actually spoke to a Verizon Rep state that there were numerous customers who have been complaining - and doing so with the FCC.  I guess I am happy to hear that I am not the only one. I plan to give it another week - then will call the FCC to see what is going on with this "Representative Escalation" they sent me a letter about.  Progress is slow, but it seems as if we are getting the attention of a few people.
BINGO... MadDogFL62 wrote: jharris326  It's forum and post posture 101.  Electra plays an important role in the entire ecosystem of the forum.  You see, he is always right - and ... See more...
BINGO... MadDogFL62 wrote: jharris326  It's forum and post posture 101.  Electra plays an important role in the entire ecosystem of the forum.  You see, he is always right - and he must always tell you that.  And while it's easy to identify that he has a problem - "we" keep it to ourselves because his rambling posts help keep our issues and concerns about the update at the TOP of the forum.  So, be kind.  Let him go.  He serves a purpose. Then there's Tids.  Sorry, but I disconnected with him a long time ago.  Girls, gambling, alcohol - I don't know what to suggest.  The guy needs some kind of bad habit to cheer him up.  Always grumpy yet always has to stay in the mix.  Also a rambler... "I know because I am technical", blah, blah, blah.  But then again, I appreciate him as he also helps keep our issues at the top of the Windows Phone forum. In the mean time, we have gone over the 10 week mark waiting for Cyan.  It's not too late to complain.  File your complaint today.  www.fcc.gov/complaints  Verizon will give you some kind of email or lip service about the update within 30 days.  Simply tell Verizon that the delays are unacceptable and ask what they plan to do about it.  Then, after your call or email, send a fax to the FCC at 1- 866-418-0232 explaining that the delays are excessive, that they have not been addressed to your satisfaction and that you want them (the FCC) to escalate this problem with Verizon.  Be sure to include your name, address and original FCC claim number.
jharris326  It's forum and post posture 101.  Electra plays an important role in the entire ecosystem of the forum.  You see, he is always right - and he must always tell you that.  And whi... See more...
jharris326  It's forum and post posture 101.  Electra plays an important role in the entire ecosystem of the forum.  You see, he is always right - and he must always tell you that.  And while it's easy to identify that he has a problem - "we" keep it to ourselves because his rambling posts help keep our issues and concerns about the update at the TOP of the forum.  So, be kind.  Let him go.  He serves a purpose. Then there's Tids.  Sorry, but I disconnected with him a long time ago.  Girls, gambling, alcohol - I don't know what to suggest.  The guy needs some kind of bad habit to cheer him up.  Always grumpy yet always has to stay in the mix.  Also a rambler... "I know because I am technical", blah, blah, blah.  But then again, I appreciate him as he also helps keep our issues at the top of the Windows Phone forum. Re: The FCC and your 8.1 Cyan Update Just waiting for Tids to chime in.  No one has time to read.  Everyone just wants to post.  Stop and read the posts you make your ridiculous replies to and you will make yourself appear a lot less, well, ridiculous.
Hopefully there will be a Technical Preview of Windows Phone 10.  If so, Verizon could possibly start testing that ASAP - beating Cyan to the door with a whole new OS? SMH Verizon.  October 1 ... See more...
Hopefully there will be a Technical Preview of Windows Phone 10.  If so, Verizon could possibly start testing that ASAP - beating Cyan to the door with a whole new OS? SMH Verizon.  October 1 makes Cyan 2.5 months or 10 weeks late.  Thank god for the Developer Preview(s). You should be impressed Verizon; you are neck and neck with CRICKET in taking the longest to release Cyan. Availability in North America - Nokia
Just RECD basic letter in mail stating that my FAX was received, my continued concerns were being attached to my original complaint, and that someone would follow up with me shortly. Slow movi... See more...
Just RECD basic letter in mail stating that my FAX was received, my continued concerns were being attached to my original complaint, and that someone would follow up with me shortly. Slow moving, but getting some kind of response/acknowledgement from the FCC.
...and as we grind slowly through the Verizon / FCC process, there is the alternative Windows Phone Developer Preview Program to keep us up to date and entertained. As of 3:30 PM EST today, th... See more...
...and as we grind slowly through the Verizon / FCC process, there is the alternative Windows Phone Developer Preview Program to keep us up to date and entertained. As of 3:30 PM EST today, the (below) said Developer Preview update is available. Don't forget to keep those faxes and letters coming!!! Joe Belfiore: Microsoft could offer new Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview updates this week | Windows Phone Central
jharris326  It's forum and post posture 101.  Electra plays an important role in the entire ecosystem of the forum.  You see, he is always right - and he must always tell you that.  And while it'... See more...
jharris326  It's forum and post posture 101.  Electra plays an important role in the entire ecosystem of the forum.  You see, he is always right - and he must always tell you that.  And while it's easy to identify that he has a problem - "we" keep it to ourselves because his rambling posts help keep our issues and concerns about the update at the TOP of the forum.  So, be kind.  Let him go.  He serves a purpose. Then there's Tids.  Sorry, but I disconnected with him a long time ago.  Girls, gambling, alcohol - I don't know what to suggest.  The guy needs some kind of bad habit to cheer him up.  Always grumpy yet always has to stay in the mix.  Also a rambler... "I know because I am technical", blah, blah, blah.  But then again, I appreciate him as he also helps keep our issues at the top of the Windows Phone forum. And so that there are no accusations about US wasting valuable forum space - I have to ask...  Did you complain to the FCC?  And if so, did Verizon contact you back yet?  And if so, was it by phone or email?  And if so, what did they have to say?  And if there was conversation, what did you tell Verizon? I was extremely disappointed to talk to the FCC last Friday to find that all Verizon had to say about my complaint was that there was "no violation".  I asked the FCC Rep to read my complaint and she kind of chuckled at both Verizon's response, as well as the content of the email I sent in from Verizon that talked around the update delay and asked me to buy more stuff (accessories). I have started another post (that I expect Electra and Tids to visit soon) - requesting that those who have been contacted by Verizon regarding their FCC complaint send in a follow up letter/fax TO the FCC stating that the update has still not been received and that you want the FCC to address delays and remedy the situation.  It's unfortunate that Verizon wants to talk in circles and avoid addressing the issue.  It's even more concerning that Verizon doesn't have the common courtesy to address the situation with their bill paying customers.  There are a volume of us with FCC complaints filed about the update delay and it will be critical that the same mass of upset customers/consumers push the FCC to visit this specifically with Verizon. In the mean time, please let the Boys roll.  Post away!  Their forum "support" is critical to our community.
Ding!  Ding!  For those of you who have filed your complaint with the FCC and have heard back from Verizon - it's time for Round 2. Why Round 2?  Well, it seems that Verizon has been respondi... See more...
Ding!  Ding!  For those of you who have filed your complaint with the FCC and have heard back from Verizon - it's time for Round 2. Why Round 2?  Well, it seems that Verizon has been responding back to the FCC regarding our complaints by simply stating that there is "no violation that could be found".  And from what the FCC says, that puts the responsibility back into our lap in getting an FCC Representative to further investigate what can be done about our continued Windows Phone update delays.  In order to continue the push, please fax a brief letter with your name, address, complaint number and complaint to the FCC Consumer Line below (1-888-225-5322).  Explain in your note that you still do not have your update, that the wait is unacceptable, and that you want the FCC to pursue a remedy to the problem. There is word coming in just today that Verizon customers who are speaking with Verizon Reps are being told that there were a significant number of complaints that poured in regarding this update.  While this is good news, the push needs to be escalated.  Again, you can do this with one simple letter faxed to the number below.  And if Verizon contacted you regarding the upgrade via email, please be sure to include that email along with your fax to the FCC. If you would like to make your follow up letter more "official", you can also send a printed copy to the physical address below. (For those of you still without Windows Phone 8.1 Cyan and would like to file a complaint after waiting for months and months with no release date in sight - please use the FCC Complaint Website listed below.) FCC Consumer Line:  1-888-225-5322 Federal Communications Commission Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau Consumer Complaints 445 12th Street, SW Washington, D.C. 20554 FAX:  1- 866-418-0232 FCC Complaints:  File Complaint | FCC.gov
Elector.  Stick to the subject.  Yes, the sky is blue.  You are ever so right once again.  SMH. Verizon's response back to the FCC regarding my complaint reinforces that they are now paying at... See more...
Elector.  Stick to the subject.  Yes, the sky is blue.  You are ever so right once again.  SMH. Verizon's response back to the FCC regarding my complaint reinforces that they are now paying attention to FCC complaints now more than ever.  Verizon's specific statement back to the FCC regarding my complaint that "there are no violations here" also indicates their concern with more violations.  It doesn't matter if they have lawyers.  It doesn't matter if they have Indian Chiefs.  Verizon still has a $7.4M scar on their backside and it still nags them every time an FCC envelope hits the mail room! The FCC has a different view regarding Verizon's response and provides the consumer the opportunity to re-address their complaint regardless of whether they are an FCC violation or not.  BDub43's communication with Verizon indicates that there were a significant number of customers who complained about this update, so again - we are getting someone's attention. Once the FCC starts to get more written consumer requests for follow up on our upgrade complaints, there is a chance that "attention" may turn to "action".  Sometimes, you just have to make your own luck.
After getting dinged $7.4M for FCC violations, I am sure that Verizon gets very nervous with every complaint that comes through their doors.  That is why - with such relief - they respond back to... See more...
After getting dinged $7.4M for FCC violations, I am sure that Verizon gets very nervous with every complaint that comes through their doors.  That is why - with such relief - they respond back to the FCC regarding our upgrade complaints that "they were not able to find any violations". As was again reinforced with me;  the FCC stated that a complaint doesn't have to be a "violation".  I am glad that there were a number of FCC complaints about this.  Now it is up to us to follow up with a fax to the FCC requesting that they push this issue with Verizon.  Pre Testing.  Shorter test periods.  Published release dates.  Consumer testing.  Status updates, etc.  Something's got to give because  60, 90, 120 days after release for an update is unacceptable. Verizon FCC customer privacy fine: $7.4 million | BGR
BDub43:  I spoke to the FCC this week and discovered a few things. First, Verizon will not report you complaint as still open.  They will write back to the FCC and tell them that there was "no... See more...
BDub43:  I spoke to the FCC this week and discovered a few things. First, Verizon will not report you complaint as still open.  They will write back to the FCC and tell them that there was "no violation found".  They did so in my case.  I asked the FCC why there had to be a violation attached to my complaint and I was told that "this is not a requirement". Next, the FCC said that the next step up to the consumer.  If you want to keep your case open - regardless of Verizon's response - you need to do so in writing.  First, provide any email communication that you have had with Verizon.  Their email.  Your response(s).  Next, officially request in writing that the case stay open and why.  Once you have done so, you can mail all paperwork to the address below or simply fax it to the attention of the same organization group on the mailing address below. From there, your follow up and request get matched in the database to  your original complaint and an agent is assigned to it from there (and may contact you via phone, email or letter).  This is pretty much the stage I am at today. Oh, and get ready for a harassing call from Verizon - from some clown named "Ray" who calls your cell on a number that is blocked or shows as "private".  He tries to confirm who you are, asks you to call back, etc.  If you go into your phone settings / blocked calls / advanced - you can set up a block on callers who withhold phone numbers.  A nice WP feature evidently made just for Verizon. FCC Consumer Line:  1-888-225-5322 Federal Communications Commission Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau Consumer Complaints 445 12th Street, SW Washington, D.C. 20554 FAX:  1- 866-418-0232
This Developer Preview Program is starting to be worth it's weight in gold. Windows Phone 8.1 GDR 1 Option
Cyan going out to those with Developer Preview.  Test round going out today.  Perhaps a sign of the future? http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-releases-lumia-cyan-update-for-another-batch-of-dev... See more...
Cyan going out to those with Developer Preview.  Test round going out today.  Perhaps a sign of the future? http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-releases-lumia-cyan-update-for-another-batch-of-developer-preview-devices/ <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Everyone asking-- we&#39;re hoping to push some updates to Dev Preview this week, addressing storage install probs, HTC support, Cyan ramp-up.</p>&mdash; joebelfiore (@joebelfiore) <a href="https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/514219789112201218">September 23, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Yeah.  A little dated I guess.  Maybe the 1530 with Denim in December would be a good strategy? 
Verizon IS offering a way to get that update.  Ironically, it involves a new phone (and waiting a few more months).  But what's a few months wait between us Windows Phone customers?  Sorry VZW, n... See more...
Verizon IS offering a way to get that update.  Ironically, it involves a new phone (and waiting a few more months).  But what's a few months wait between us Windows Phone customers?  Sorry VZW, nothing is a secret these days. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-branded-Nokia-Lumia-1520-in-white-preserved-on-film_id47435
Apple's iOS 8 for iPhone released today.  And guess what.  It's an OTA (Over The Air) download for all iPhone owners immediately.  Release - today.  Download - today.  Even on Verizon. No, it ... See more...
Apple's iOS 8 for iPhone released today.  And guess what.  It's an OTA (Over The Air) download for all iPhone owners immediately.  Release - today.  Download - today.  Even on Verizon. No, it doesn't have to be illegal to complain to the FCC.  iOS 8 - no waiting and Windows Phone 8.1 Cyan is now over 2 months late. But wait.  Before you complain to the FCC, make that complaint worth your time and the efforts of those from the FCC Consumer Division looking out for you.  Regardless of how it happens, it's nonsense that iPhone customers get their OS updates immediately.  A concern worth adding to your complaint - but there's more.  It's also important (and aggravating) to point out that Windows Phone customers ARE NOT GETTING their 8.1 update that includes critical items such as: VPN and security fixes, email encryption fixes, Wi-Fi Security, Corporate Security fixes, Geofencing enhancements, Office document security, NFC Security, accessibility options, and more.  Please be sure to share with the FCC the list below because you really are missing out and are at Verizon's mercy in receiving your update. www.fcc.gov/complaint  And when Verizon calls to ask if you have your update and are happy - be sure to give them a "heck no".  Demand that your claim stay open and that you want the FCC to get involved.  Go to my first post in this tread and follow the instructions.  It's time for some accountability with these updates (after 3 years), it's time that these updates are pre-release tested, and it's time that release timelines are tightened up and published to the public.  Every finger points at Verizon, with many of these "fingers" offering to help with the updates (ahem, Microsoft).  And as Verizon (and other carriers) are forced to take on unlocked devices, this update situation is going to only get worse.  It's time for the FCC to get their arms around this situation and Verizon is a great place to start.   Sharing secured Wi-Fi Networks with contacts if they have Wi-Fi Sense. They don't get to see the shared password though Social notifications will now show up in Action Center by swiping from the top of the screen Operators can now control Data Sense limits remotely Operators can also install certain applications once a SIM card is detected Along with normal updates, there are now "important" updates Options to always download emails and pictures within them Encrypted and signed e-mail support Change default SMS app. You can also change which SMS app will show notifications Enterprise enrolled phones can have their passwords changed and remotely locked "Write, when I swipe through letters." That should be self-explanatory Geofence monitoring support. Geofence is a boundary around a place of interest to you. Location services can monitor geofences to tell your apps when you are entering and leaving them. This would be really good for IFTTT Office Lens support. Will scan in documents and screens The phone will have to update to the latest version before you can restore it to factory settings Option to update store apps automatically Option to update store apps when only on Wi-Fi App Suggestions by location Manual Update checks Password protected Office document support Trusted app list for NFC that will remove the need for asking whether you want to open a particular app In-call speech commands. You will be able to say 'Call XXXXXX' Double-Tap to unlock your phone (Feature from Lumia devices on Amber Update and newer) Quiet Hours Double Tap to Power Off Notification if charger is not of adequate power Screenshot button combination is now Power + Volume Up Chkdsk for SD Cards essentially Apps on SD Cards are only allowed from ONE originating phone. If it detects that apps from another phone are installed on the SD Card, then it will ask to delete those first Voice Narrator for Accessibility The Search button will be the new way to open Speech instead of the Start button (Since the newer phones will have the start button on screen) New Email sync options with accordance to usage patterns (i.e. If you get a lot of mail on particular days and if you don't check mail every day) Change the size and amount of tiles on your start screen. Wallet supports tickets and membership cards App Syncing Backups now include application data Screen Reader functionality Screen Recording functionality Inner Circle of contacts. Up to 40 contacts can be in the inner circle You can favorite photos by tapping a heart icon Virtual SmartCard support   
How does that work with updates?  There's a BIG difference between THOSE which ARE regulated, and an update that has NO regulation whatsoever and never will be...  You ask about h... See more...
How does that work with updates?  There's a BIG difference between THOSE which ARE regulated, and an update that has NO regulation whatsoever and never will be...  You ask about how that works with updates?  Welcome to the club, as I don't know either.  But I intend to find out. "NO regulation whatsoever and never will be..."  Should I be congratulating you on your new job with the FCC?  Certainly wasn't me saying I was looking for fines and regulation.  But if Verizon doesn't want to share how the update process works or discuss potential improvements - then there clearly needs to be some mediation that includes a party that can help the consumer gather this information.  Without the facts, it's difficult to say what the best direction is to take.  However, with the facts, at least the FCC can provide some guidance - even if it is "just suck it up or leave Verizon".  I am, in a way, hopeful that there is enough going on right now with "unlocked devices across carriers" that some of our needs can piggyback on some of that change.  But you don't know unless you ask. Very interesting reading in the link below.  Largest FCC fine to date.  Clearly shows the ethics of Verizon and the level of respect they have for their customers.  There is no VZW lip service that can get around that.  And while the FCC has bigger fish to fry, they certainly have Verizon dead center and locked in on their radar screen.  I have never stated that any of these update problems violate any current regulations, I HAVE most certainly stated that the FCC has offered to look into the problem and has provided steps to escalate our concerns within their organization. Microsoft, Nokia, and Windows Phone all point the finger at Verizon for either delays or the decision not to provide the 8.1 Cyan Update whatsoever (HTC 8X devices).  Verizon contracts essentially say "too bad - so sad"; we control what goes on you phone.  Not many places to turn for leverage except the FCC.  After talking to their consumer hotline, I don't think the FCC really knows what will come of this either.  They provided some basic steps and a "let's see what happens" option.  I'll roll with that. FCC Legal Document:  Verizon To Pay $7.4M To Settle Privacy Investigation | FCC.gov