Thanks for the updates everyone,   Here is a quick summary of the issues that have been posted: 1) Mac firmware client: It sounds like there is an issue with the Firmware Update software for ... Ver más...
Thanks for the updates everyone,   Here is a quick summary of the issues that have been posted: 1) Mac firmware client: It sounds like there is an issue with the Firmware Update software for Mac's.  The quick solution appears to be reflashing the firmware with a Windows computer.   2) Bricked/Non-responsive MiFi: A few users have reported that the firmware update has broken thier MiFi.  Followup's have reported that Verizon is replacing these devices if the firmware update itself is to blame.   3) Better performance? Reviews are mixed.  Some users are reporting better results after the firmware update.  Others are reporting no improvement.  Anything else that has been reported has been tied back to a bricked/failed device.  Verizon appears to be replacing those bricked devices.  In general I would conclude thus far that the firmware update has not made any existing issues worse.   
Then the wireless profile cached on your XP computer is incorrect.  Wipe it out and create a new one.   Delete the saved/cached password in WinXP: 1. Navigate to Start > Settings > Network Con... Ver más...
Then the wireless profile cached on your XP computer is incorrect.  Wipe it out and create a new one.   Delete the saved/cached password in WinXP: 1. Navigate to Start > Settings > Network Connections 2. Right Click Wireless Network Connection 3. Select Properties 4. Select the Wireless Networks Tab 5. Delete the SSID for the MiFi in the list 6. Try to reconnect to the MiFi like normal
JM,   If your MiFi was bricked by the firmware update process then I would imagine that Verizon would replace it with a new one.  Please let us know how Verizon responds when you ask them about... Ver más...
JM,   If your MiFi was bricked by the firmware update process then I would imagine that Verizon would replace it with a new one.  Please let us know how Verizon responds when you ask them about it.    Did you notice anything go wrong while you were trying to install the update like an error message or application crashing?
I meant to come back to this thread sooner.   I can now see what PDCLarry was talking about in his post.  Older versions of XP had more rigid requirements for connecting to wireless networks.  ... Ver más...
I meant to come back to this thread sooner.   I can now see what PDCLarry was talking about in his post.  Older versions of XP had more rigid requirements for connecting to wireless networks.  If anyone experiences this problem in the future they should try to update to SP2 or greater before connecting to the MiFi.    My freshly reloaded (no Service Pack) XP desktop had the same issue when connecting to my home wireless network.  I had to download the service packs on a different computer and transfer them via USB to my laptop to get it updated.
Delo,   Yes, I stand by my statement that many of the problems are configureable and correctable...I didnt say they all were.  You have to remember that many of the problems that people report ... Ver más...
Delo,   Yes, I stand by my statement that many of the problems are configureable and correctable...I didnt say they all were.  You have to remember that many of the problems that people report about the MiFi are simple configuration issues.    I have a document of solutions if you really want me to share all of them with you.  I've found it easier to copy and paste them then to re-type them everytime.  Chances are that you have already gone through them in one way or another and determined that the MiFi will not work for you.  If thats the case then I would do as you did and go back to a device that you are comfortable with.
I'm not a Mac guy so I wont comment on that area.  GIve it a shot on the Win PC and let us know how it goes.   The firmware update displays a few more values on the Diagnostics screen...atleast... Ver más...
I'm not a Mac guy so I wont comment on that area.  GIve it a shot on the Win PC and let us know how it goes.   The firmware update displays a few more values on the Diagnostics screen...atleast I never noticed some of them before.  My PRL version is 15058 for what its worth.
It is also worth noting that older versions of WinXp had goofy wireless settings built into them.  You might need to install all of the service packs for XP before you can complete your wireless ... Ver más...
It is also worth noting that older versions of WinXp had goofy wireless settings built into them.  You might need to install all of the service packs for XP before you can complete your wireless connection to the MiFi.  I reloaded my XP desktop a few weeks ago and had the same issue with my home wireless network.     You might have to download the service packs to a external hard drive and transfter them via USB to your laptop to make them available.
Thats a new one for me.   Certs normally come into play when you are trying to authenticate through 802.1x.  If that does not mean anything to you then you probally have the wrong password type... Ver más...
Thats a new one for me.   Certs normally come into play when you are trying to authenticate through 802.1x.  If that does not mean anything to you then you probally have the wrong password type enabled on your MiFi.  I suggest you make a tweak to your MiFi and see if the problem continues.   To change the Wireless Security Mode: 1. Power on the MiFi 2. Connect to the MiFi with a computer which works 3. Navigate to http://mifi.admin 4. Sign into the MiFi 5. Click the Wi-Fi tab 6. Change your Securty to WPA2 Personal/PSK 7. Click Apply   If you have anything in your Authentication box then that might explain why your MiFi is asking for a cert.  Switching to WPA2 Personal should grey that box out so it no longer applies.   If that doesnt work then try resetting the defaults of your MiFi by pressing the Reset button under the back cover and next to the battery.      
A few changes I have noticed on the new firmware: 1. It looks like the "Global" setting under WWAN preferred mode has been reworded.  Now the option displays as "LTE/CDMA" 2. The Firmware Updat... Ver más...
A few changes I have noticed on the new firmware: 1. It looks like the "Global" setting under WWAN preferred mode has been reworded.  Now the option displays as "LTE/CDMA" 2. The Firmware Update button on the home page is no longer available.  There appears to be a new Software Update page tucked under the Advanced menu to replace this feature.    
I think you covered the best reason to upgrade in your original post.  The best new feature that the 4G mifi's offer is a connection to the 4G network.  Yes, the 4G MiFi's has some issues but man... Ver más...
I think you covered the best reason to upgrade in your original post.  The best new feature that the 4G mifi's offer is a connection to the 4G network.  Yes, the 4G MiFi's has some issues but many of them are configurable and correctable with the solutions we have discovered.  Otherwise you will find the 3G models to be very similar compared to the 4G models.   Considering you are in a 3G only area I would suggest sticking with what you got until you can take full advantage of 4G.  4G is supposed to be everywhere by the end of 2013.   Especially since you mention special arrangements in your plan which may not transfer over to a 4G contract.  Once you move to a 4G contract  you will never be able to move backwards and reclaim "grandfatherd" benefits from the past. 
Hello,   The firmware updated 2.23 was released sometime yesterday.  See this thread for more information: http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/MiFi-4510L-Firmware-Update-2-23... Ver más...
Hello,   The firmware updated 2.23 was released sometime yesterday.  See this thread for more information: http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/MiFi-4510L-Firmware-Update-2-23/td-p/714057    
The current firmware version is 2.16.   The new firmware version of 2.23 is available as of this morning.   The direct download link to the firmware update can be found here: http://producti... Ver más...
The current firmware version is 2.16.   The new firmware version of 2.23 is available as of this morning.   The direct download link to the firmware update can be found here: http://production.4510.verizon.mifiupdates.com/Windows/MiFi4510LWin.zip   The software had difficulty moving forward after I connected my USB cable.  This is probally because it takes a few moments for the MiFi to shutdown its broadcast before it will accept the update and I was too hasty.  I left my USB Cable plugged into my laptop and relaunched the installation and was successful on my 2nd attempt.  The whole process took around 10 minutes to complete.    
The last time a firmware update was available someone posted a link to download the files directly from the source.  When the new update becomes available I'm sure someone will post the new link ... Ver más...
The last time a firmware update was available someone posted a link to download the files directly from the source.  When the new update becomes available I'm sure someone will post the new link too.  That way you can download the firmware update files to your computer from an alternative internet connection and then install them through your USB cable.    If you are still having problems downloading or installing the update then you can always bring your MiFi into a Verizon store.  A Verizon rep should be able to perform the firmware update for you with one of thier computers.  The last firmware update took about 10 minutes to complete.    
Richard,   You happened to comment on one of the longest threads in this forum.  Unless you want to start your own thread then take a moment to read through the history of this issue. There are... Ver más...
Richard,   You happened to comment on one of the longest threads in this forum.  Unless you want to start your own thread then take a moment to read through the history of this issue. There are many troubleshooting steps available to help you imrpove your disconnection problem.  See if any of the posted suggestions will help you.  Let us know what you have already tried and then we will suggest anything else which may help.   Your device goes "Dormant" because it is designed to do so.  All MiFi's will go dormant after a few moments of no internet activity.  Once activity is detected your MiFi should come back out of Dormant Mode after a second or two.  You cannot turn this feature off.  
It looks like the MiFi 4510L Support page has been updated with new documentation.   See the following link for more information: http://support.verizonwireless.com/system_update/mifi4510l.htm... Ver más...
It looks like the MiFi 4510L Support page has been updated with new documentation.   See the following link for more information: http://support.verizonwireless.com/system_update/mifi4510l.html   The new benefits include: 1. Obtaint your SIM info from the Diagnostics menu of the Web UI 2. Stronger Web UI password/Securit Key (new devices) 3. Improved connection in 3G/4G areas 4. Improved handoff performance in 3G/4G areas 5. Improved VPN stability 6. Enhanced device capability to use USB power to extend battery life 7. Added device capability to support delivery of future software OTA   There is release date has not been revealed for this firmware update.  Some say it will be on 11/1...   It looks like this firmware update will not be forced like the previous update.  We can download and install this one when we are ready to do so.
Hello,   Regarding #1: You cannot stay logged into the MiFi if you are not connected to it.  Try reseting your MiFi and see if you can get a better connection.  Let us know if you need the step... Ver más...
Hello,   Regarding #1: You cannot stay logged into the MiFi if you are not connected to it.  Try reseting your MiFi and see if you can get a better connection.  Let us know if you need the steps.   Regarding #2: There is no way to change this.  The MiFi gets its time information from the local cell towers.  Normaly when the MiFi is not displaying the correct time there is some kind of an issue with the device or service.   Regarding #3: there is a firmware update on the way.  My sources tell me it will be available on 11/1.  You will not be able to complete the update until then.  
When I first got my hands on a MiFi 4510L the first thing I tried to do was gauge what the 5GB data plan was like. There is a online calculator to help you estimate your consumption but I wanted t... Ver más...
When I first got my hands on a MiFi 4510L the first thing I tried to do was gauge what the 5GB data plan was like. There is a online calculator to help you estimate your consumption but I wanted to know for sure. I also wanted to test out the automatic email alert system to see if I could customize and manage them for multiple users. Verizon Data Calculator: http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash_includes/datacalculator.html In a matter of a few days I easily racked up over 3GB of data on my plan. Streaming a podcast, listing to internet radio and watching movies from Netflix at the same time helped me rack up my plan. I was using the 1-800 number to check on my data plan as I went along so I was never surprised by how much data I was actually using. Bottom line is that it is possible to go over your limit in the time frame you mentioned. All you have to do is find out what is eating up your plan and then put a stop to it. Just be careful with your plan until you can isolate where the drain is coming from.
Hello,   You can request a Data Usage report from Verizon to help you isolate when the problem is happening.  Verizon should be able to tell you the time of day and the ammount of data consumed... Ver más...
Hello,   You can request a Data Usage report from Verizon to help you isolate when the problem is happening.  Verizon should be able to tell you the time of day and the ammount of data consumed at each interval.  There may be a way to look it up through your My Verizon Account if you set it up, but I dont have the steps for that process.  Once you know when your data is being consumed you can start to isolate down the running applications which were running at that time and shut them down.   You mentioned that your son also used the computer after school and on the weekends.  I hate to point out the obvious but are you sure you know how he is consuming your data plan while you are not watching him?  He might be streaming a radio station or watching videos on youtube with out you knowing about it.    Verizon also has an 1-800 number which you can use to check your data plan on the fly.  It is fully automated and updated about every 10-20 minutes.   Until you can isolate the problem I suggest turning off your MiFi.  Verizon will not be sympathetic if you go over your plan and there is no limit to how much you can rack up in overcharges.  I have read forum threads before where the device was defective and was replaced and reimbursed by Verizon, but I wouldnt count on it happening for you until you know more.
You say you want more battery eh? Check this baby out: http://3gstore.com/product/3048_5000mah_extended_battery_verizon_mifi_4510l.html    
My 2 Cents:   You cant beat a cable connection when it comes to home Internet  (Lets not talk about FIOS).  They are rusty and trusty and would always be my first choice when given a decision. ... Ver más...
My 2 Cents:   You cant beat a cable connection when it comes to home Internet  (Lets not talk about FIOS).  They are rusty and trusty and would always be my first choice when given a decision.  People are comfortable with a uncapped and fast connection that a cable ISP can provide.   That being said a MiFi is practical if you can exercise discipline with your internet connection.  You need to make a habit out of monitoring your data plan to make sure you arent going over every month.  Verizon makes it easy for you to make a mistake and one bad month might wipe out any savings you would have made by making the switch.   Charging a battery will always degrade the life.  This is a mechanic of all batterys and they naturally degrade over time with more use.  Better and bigger batterys will last longer, but ultimately you will have to replace them.  If you had to leave your MiFi turned on and plugged in 24x7 then I would suggest removing the battery until you need to move the MiFi.  That or you could purchase a 2nd battery for the road and swap them out accordingly.