Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,780 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

LemmyCaution's Posts

The problem that I've experienced is that cycling (airplane mode etc), new SIM, ICS Leaks, switching off IM, reboots etc. are temporary. The problem is what VZW is tweaking the network. I hav... See more...
The problem that I've experienced is that cycling (airplane mode etc), new SIM, ICS Leaks, switching off IM, reboots etc. are temporary. The problem is what VZW is tweaking the network. I have to say - today 6/23 I've driven from the SouthBay through LAX up the 405 to 26th/ Montana Ave and around Santa Monica and have had 0 data drops. Not sure why. Except to say I now have more understanding of  the propensity of ancient cultures to attribute good/bad outcomes to the Moon, various animals, eartquakes, eclipses etc. It is my opinion that VZW is performing some updates that are affecting data connections and that cycling the phone, installing Leaks and replacing the SIM are all just modern equivalents for throwing virgins in the volcano to appease the Gods. They make you feel like you're in control but, you're not. 🙂 BTW - I thought discussing root, leaks etc. was not acceptable on vzw forums then again, I think a lot of things.
Same place - (Socal) Same issue. I have posted copious notes at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/211972-dropped-4g-data-everyday.html 1 - I restored the phone to earlier OS... See more...
Same place - (Socal) Same issue. I have posted copious notes at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/211972-dropped-4g-data-everyday.html 1 - I restored the phone to earlier OS (.902) (don't ask how) 2- Called Verizon 4 times, tried a few things to no avail. 3- What is really crazy-making abou this entire episode is that VZW personnel either don't know what's wrong or are not cleared to share what's wrong so, when the service provider says 'status normal' it appears to MEthat the phone is at fault so, I dutifully restore it; each time trying slightly different versions of the software etc. Same result. 4g/3g unreliable until re-boot. Then, it lasts 1 to 60 minutes. 4- Verizon sent me a new SIM. The following actions seem to improve service maybe - (I'm doing anecdotal testing afterall): - cycle between 3g/4g - pull battery or restart while pressing + - volume - stop IM services after reboot. Moto/Verizon have requested some changes the IM app and to OS in anticipation of ICS (android 4 rollouts). RAZR gets it first then, Bionic. It appears that Verizon is making some changes to network in advance of the this anticipated ICS update. 5 - All of this is a PIA but, it is understandable. Changes need to be made in an orderly way which takes time. Verizon cannot be completely forthcoming about changes as it would expose it to lawsuits. IF Corporate Law would only realize that coverup and obfuscation just make things worse. Ask Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton, Eric Holder or any teenage boy caught at 1am with 3 half-dressed girls and a case of beer in the car... ("honest Dad, I was bringing the beer to you and then I saw these three girls standing by their car...Oh their clothes? A crazed dog ripped them off of them. Good thing they weren't hurt." Don't ask). 6 - Bottom line - though I worked from home all day today, data seems to be better.AND  I was able to stream entire podcasts while I was at the gym  near my office yesterday. Could be the SIM, could be that VZW has completed its updates. Could be a dozen other variables. .
Also in L.A.  (Westside - Southbay to Beverly Hills) My Data Connection problems started with the application of the .905 update. Calls to tech support have been pleasant but unhelpful. VZ... See more...
Also in L.A.  (Westside - Southbay to Beverly Hills) My Data Connection problems started with the application of the .905 update. Calls to tech support have been pleasant but unhelpful. VZW shipped a new SIM which I will try but, I don't think it's the SIM. Anecdotally from other online sources, there are programming changes occurring (Bionic and Razr) in anticipation of ICS. If this problem mirrors the past; all will become clear once the problem is resolved - unfortunately well after many of us have spent hours trying to 'fix' a device that isn't really broken but certainly appears to be broken. 😉
Same issue here - (Westside, Venice, Westchester, Culver City, Beverly Hills). Began AFTER the update to .905 for me.
Verizon offered a network extender to me after admitting that they had lost the lease on a tower serving me. Coverage at my home has degraded since last fall. After four calls to support, Ver... See more...
Verizon offered a network extender to me after admitting that they had lost the lease on a tower serving me. Coverage at my home has degraded since last fall. After four calls to support, Verizon finally sent an engineer out. The engineer noted that Verizon had failed to renew the lease on the tower closest to my home. The result is that I am between several towers and I don't have a clean signal. I realize that Im' not in the easiest area - on a hill facing the Pacific. So, sometimes my calls go through a Malibu site (also indicated on Weather/Clock Widget) Malibu is line of sight, 10-12 miles across Santa Monice Bay - sometimes the calls go through a site generically referred to as Los Angeles. The customer service rep offered to put me in touch with tech support who offered to SELL a network extender to me after reading the engineer's statement implying that VZW dropped the ball on the tower lease. Off topic but related - I returned a Thunderbolt back in November that Verizon has not acknowledged receiving - I called repeatedly about this (as recently as 2/2) and was told that they were 'researching' the issue, trying to find the phone and that although there was an equipment charge on the line, there was no danger of my service being suspended. On Saturday 2/4, my service was suspended. I made an irate phone call to Verizon and was given the choice of having my service terminated and account turned over to collections - so, I reluctantly paid the charge. A later call to another customer service rep indicated VZW had never contacted the warehouse. She DID contact warehouse with ESN. Still no phone so, the problem is apparently in FedEx hands. The tracking numbers that I and Verizon have do not exist according to FedEx. Hmmm - It seems like since this equipment issue - Verizon tech/customer support has started treating me like a pariah and not a customer so, I'm reluctant to pay more money to maintain an unfulfiling relationship especially when both issues seem to involve ineptitude on Verizon's part. That said - I SHOULD have taken a picture of the box/label before dropping it off at the UPS store (handles FedEx too). I've probably exchanged 6 or 8 phones  like this over the years and never had a problem til now. Next time, I will give it to FedEx personally and get a receipt. Warning to everyone - 😞