The last update to Note 9 actually enabled Galileo GPS. 😊 Interesting that it was not mentioned in the release notes.
The problem is firmware update auto download. This probably is not a problem in USA (as long as you are not using your friend’s Wifi shared from his smartphone in places where Verizon does not ha... Ver más...
The problem is firmware update auto download. This probably is not a problem in USA (as long as you are not using your friend's Wifi shared from his smartphone in places where Verizon does not have the network) but if you are abroad and you use portable Wifi device (which a popular) which can have a data limits like 1GB, the auto firmware update download becomes a problem because this update can be anywhere between couple meg to 4GB and you have no way of controlling that. I also have Galaxy S7 unbranded with Samsung stock Android 8 firmware and this firmware allows me to have the control over firmware download. The Verizon firmware only inform me that the firmware update if ready to install from which point I can only delay installation. So the way of controlling large download can be: Select metered connection Uncheck auto download The two above does not apply To Verizon Note 9 Couple pictures: Note 9 Verizon firmware with my metered/ restricted network settings: As seen above I got notification that the firmware is ready to install there is no option to control auto download. Below is my unbranded Galaxy S7 which allows me some control of the firmware download: In my case I was abroad and I had two Note 9 connected to portable Wifi device and both of them automatically download the firmware without any initiation/permission. I'm software engineer myself and I understand the need and benefits of updates. But in this case we need a solution to delay firmware update. The ones that I know is metered connection or like my unbranded Galaxy S7 does it gives me button to start download.
bearone21 I dont think you understand what I wrote, I'm not talking about adding app. Verizon modified Samsung Note 9 firmware update with their own removing options for auto update and wifi onl... Ver más...
bearone21 I dont think you understand what I wrote, I'm not talking about adding app. Verizon modified Samsung Note 9 firmware update with their own removing options for auto update and wifi only option  also their version of auto update does not obay metered data connection what original auto updater does. All the option I'm given is instal now or later no option for download like original firmware does download is automatic without asking for permission. Verizon is thedeveloper who made it I would like to see them fixing that unless you tell me that they dont care about their own product Auto update is not a choise I made when it downloads it automatically on metered data connection without asking download now or later
I’m not saying about any obligations… anywhere on the planet. I’m saying if Verizon modifies Samsung firmware by replacing original Samsung’s firmware update with their own they should make it wo... Ver más...
I'm not saying about any obligations… anywhere on the planet. I'm saying if Verizon modifies Samsung firmware by replacing original Samsung's firmware update with their own they should make it work the same way and obey metered data connections. My previous carrier also modified the Samsung's firmware but it was obeying metered data connections.
I’m abroad and I have a portable WIFI which on my note 9 is set as metered. I was surprised that my note automatically downloaded firmware update over metered connection!!! On unbranded firmware ... Ver más...
I'm abroad and I have a portable WIFI which on my note 9 is set as metered. I was surprised that my note automatically downloaded firmware update over metered connection!!! On unbranded firmware I get choice to download now or later but Verizon modified Note 9 firmware does not obey metered connection which costed me $$$. This should be fixed because the vanilla firmware does not do that, but Verizon modified firmware can cost you $$$ on metered WIFI. I only use  my Verizon note 9 with WIFI for WIFI calling abroad. I hope Verizon will fix their firmware.
I switched from ATT which just butchers Samsung software to Verizon. The Verizon Samsung software I would say is 99% close to unbranded I see two futures missing on my Verizon Note 9 compared to ... Ver más...
I switched from ATT which just butchers Samsung software to Verizon. The Verizon Samsung software I would say is 99% close to unbranded I see two futures missing on my Verizon Note 9 compared to unbranded firmware, but let's be honest, nobody will tell you what it is here. I would ask about that google. Yes this is correct your wont get wifi calling with unbranded. I would still get Verizon phone just because wifi calling and nice stuff is that app that come with the Verizon phone you can go and uninstall in apps settings of your phone not just disable like it was before
Ask google
Actually the problem was caused by google app. After google fixed their app the problem despaired. I still it would be nice if Verizon would add an option to their location popup: “don’t show it ... Ver más...
Actually the problem was caused by google app. After google fixed their app the problem despaired. I still it would be nice if Verizon would add an option to their location popup: "don't show it again" I understand that your compliance department this it is important but in reality nobody reads it and it makes worse user experience. 
I checked settings/notifications/advanced but I’m not finding GPS related stuff I think this is Oreo itself doing that, I looked and my wife’s Note 9 and it is doing the same. I also checked m... See more...
I checked settings/notifications/advanced but I'm not finding GPS related stuff I think this is Oreo itself doing that, I looked and my wife's Note 9 and it is doing the same. I also checked my unbranded S7 and it is also doing the same minus the  Location content which is clearly added by Verizon and could use don't show it again option. So when I turn on and off ..location I get: The Location is randomly set between "High accuracy" and "Phone only"(just want to mention that my battery is full) and when randomly is set to phone only I get "Improve location accuracy (second pop up) and does not matter what I select agree or disagree it will again randomly select location mode the next time I turn on or off the location. Either it is Oreo bug or google wants to be annoying so people never shut of the location. I don't like to have location enabled and wifi scanning for location because it uses the battery
Note sure if it is on purpose or just a bug because phone is young yet… but using phone location can be very annoying. It happens mostly when putting location in GPS only mode. However most of the ti... Ver más...
Note sure if it is on purpose or just a bug because phone is young yet… but using phone location can be very annoying. It happens mostly when putting location in GPS only mode. However most of the time the phone will not even remember if it was on "high accuracy" or "GPS only" last time. When I leave it on hight accuracy or GPS only, next time I turn on location it is not on the mode I selected last time. Example I agree to high accuracy from GPS only, next time I turn off and turn on the location I'm ask again if I want to improve accuracy. But why force on user high accuracy anyway? And now about the annoying part when on GPS only location I'm given many disclaimers every time I turn on location example below: Location content…. Improve location accuracy … I click dissager or agree does not matter it will pop up next time I turn on location but it happens on random sometime it will some times it will not. Then in google maps I'm ask again if I want to turn on Wifi scanning Really? 3 disclaimer without option  "don't ask me again". Is it a bug or somebody just want to make Galaxy Note 9 experience less pleasant? On My Note 4 and Galaxy S7 (unbranded) I was just able to turn on or off location and I was ready to go without annoying disclaimers