Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 8,075 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Didjit's Posts

I was able to solve this by connecting my PC to a network switch rather than directly to the extender.  The switch is able to make an instant connection, and meanwhile maintains a constant connection... See more...
I was able to solve this by connecting my PC to a network switch rather than directly to the extender.  The switch is able to make an instant connection, and meanwhile maintains a constant connection to the extender and thus avoids its connection delay.  Theoretically it introduces a miniscule amount of delay, but that shouldn't be enough to affect gaming response time.
deloused​ brings up a number of good points. Certainly, the spoofable number can't be used for enforcement. And the "spoofability" should be maintained for the reasons you outlined. But it still ... See more...
deloused​ brings up a number of good points. Certainly, the spoofable number can't be used for enforcement. And the "spoofability" should be maintained for the reasons you outlined. But it still seems insane (from my engineering perspective) that carriers can't identify the source of traffic on their own network. If a hundred people report spam calls that all trace back to the same source, then that source should be turned off. If that source is another carrier, then they should do the same in order to be reconnected. It actually shouldn't matter about the "who" behind the calls, just the network source (so I retract my previous requirement to identify people by credit cards, etc.) I'm sure we could keep going around in circles.  In the end it's not up to us to design a solution, and the telcos will have to if they want to maintain a functional network and keep their customers.
I would disagree, glitchedpixel​, with a couple of your points. The FCC gave providers explicit permission to block robocalls etc. in 2015. There's currently no financial incentive for the provid... See more...
I would disagree, glitchedpixel​, with a couple of your points. The FCC gave providers explicit permission to block robocalls etc. in 2015. There's currently no financial incentive for the providers to do anything about this issue. My point is that they're inviting the gov't to step in with legislation and meanwhile they're risking the cultural abandonment of voice calls (akin to how landlines are rapidly fading away). I only seem them responding to A) legislation, B) loss of sales, or C) unfavorable attention. My other point is that I don't believe the "nothing can be done" argument. Verizon (or any other carrier) can start by ensuring all connections within their network are traceable. The next step is to track connections coming into their network. If a significant amount of those connections are fraudulent then that provider gets blacklisted. If the major carriers took this approach the rest would have to follow suit or else be cut off. Finally, Caller ID filter is fairly useless these days. The spammers constantly change their spoofed numbers. We're probably more likely to be blocking someone we'd want to talk to than a robocaller at this point. I don't think I'm the only one annoyed by these distractions and deceptions. My intent behind all this is basically option "C", above.
Where would be a better avenue for my venting, where Verizon might actually see it? Don't know Saint Legere, but yes, the industry as a whole has been dragging its feet for a decade or more on... See more...
Where would be a better avenue for my venting, where Verizon might actually see it? Don't know Saint Legere, but yes, the industry as a whole has been dragging its feet for a decade or more on this issue.
It's getting so that I don't even want phone service anymore. Like most everyone, I get a dozen robo/spam/telemarketer calls per day.  And the number spoofing makes it just egregious. Verizon, yo... See more...
It's getting so that I don't even want phone service anymore. Like most everyone, I get a dozen robo/spam/telemarketer calls per day.  And the number spoofing makes it just egregious. Verizon, you have got to do something about this! Why are you letting people on your network who are spoofing or not honoring the Do Not Call lists? Every call entering your network should be from a known user.  And you should only accept calls from other providers if they can definitively identify the originator.  If other providers won't honor that then they get dropped and ultimately isolated. Either they'll die out or they'll adopt the mandate. In 2018 there's no excuse for the inability to identify (address, credit card, bank account) every user. And there's no excuse for allowing users to spoof their identification. And there's no excuse for not having a means by which customers can notify you of illegal calls, which you are then able to immediately shut down. You've been lazy on this.  I expect you'll only make progress if there's legislation.  In the meantime you're allowing this entire medium of communication to rot away while you sit back and rake in money.  Your cash cow is about to run dry.
If you're considering using the Travel Pass abroad, be aware that there are caveats that Verizon doesn't mention. They claim you can use your same exact domestic plan abroad for just $10/day. ... See more...
If you're considering using the Travel Pass abroad, be aware that there are caveats that Verizon doesn't mention. They claim you can use your same exact domestic plan abroad for just $10/day.  What they don't tell you is that Verizon will throttle your data rate down to 2G speeds after 500MB.  That's 100 times slower than the 4G you're used to.  That basically means no streaming or downloading of movies/shows, which run about 1 GB/hr.  And if you're streaming Pandora, you'll get less than five hours before you're shut down. None of this was mentioned when I signed up despite asking, "so, everything will work just like at home? And there won't be any surprises?"  And even now that I know about it, it took me a half-hour of burrowing through their website to find any mention of it. So beware.  Sure, you can have your domestic plan while abroad, but you just can't actually use it.
Yes, thank you.  I'm aware of that.  I was hoping to find a more moderate approach where I could still use the app without being annoyed by it.  Anyone?
I've enabled SoftCard on my Galaxy S5 (just in case I might find it interesting, and actually remember to use it ). However, I find it really annoying to constantly receive push notification a... See more...
I've enabled SoftCard on my Galaxy S5 (just in case I might find it interesting, and actually remember to use it ). However, I find it really annoying to constantly receive push notification alerts for discounts at McDonalds.  There doesn't seem to be anyplace in the app to disable this, only to sign up for more.  I haven't selected any businesses as favorites or signed up for any offer notifications.  I'm about to remove/disable this completely.  Anyone figure out how to do this?
Great!  I'll look into it.  Thanks!
Thanks, jimfitzgerald.  I know, I'd be surprised if I got an honest, direct response. As I understand, Verizon won't allow upgrading to a 4G phone with an unlimited data plan.  I'd have to sta... See more...
Thanks, jimfitzgerald.  I know, I'd be surprised if I got an honest, direct response. As I understand, Verizon won't allow upgrading to a 4G phone with an unlimited data plan.  I'd have to stay with my current phone to keep my unlimited plan. Verizon's throttling practice (admittedly better than some) is to only throttle 3G Unlimited Data accounts that have exceeded 3GB over the last 3 billing cycles (or something like that) when the tower they're on has a heavy load.  My objection here is more about the practice than the experience.  I see it as another point of leverage to force me into a plan that they can charge me more for.  I'm, frankly, amazed they can get away with this, which seems like a blatant violation of their own terms of service. Thanks for the input, though.  Yes, there's Google texting.  Comcast is offering it too.  But as you point out not having it on my mobile number defeats the purpose. I'll have to run some numbers.  It might actually make more sense to pay for an unlocked phone outright.  And T-Mobile may actually have enough coverage for me....
Dear Verizon, My contract is just about up, and I would really like to stay, but you're not giving me many reasons to.  I would welcome your feedback on any of these issues: You're breaking... See more...
Dear Verizon, My contract is just about up, and I would really like to stay, but you're not giving me many reasons to.  I would welcome your feedback on any of these issues: You're breaking your own contract.  I've purchased my "Unlimited Data Plan", which you are now limiting.  Don't give me your "We're not limiting your data just reducing the speed" argument -- reducing the speed (throttling) reduces the total amount of data that I can use in a given interval.  I'm paying for Unlimited Data, so why are you limiting it?  Your own ads tout streaming video, downloading, mobile browsing, staying connected...  My activities are no where near what your ads tout as typical behavior, but apparently you're unhappy that I'm actually using the data plan that I paid for. You're forcing me out of my current plan.  If I want to upgrade to 4G - which I do - I'll have to give up my "Unlimited Data Plan" in favor of your tiered usage plans.  That might not be so bad except that your rates are high and your overage changes are obscene. You're not covering the most useful location for me: the Boston subway system.  AT&T and T-mobile have full coverage.  The T has announced new infrastructure to support everyone, but so far Verizon has shown no interested in expanding coverage through the system, leaving us with only 4 (four!) covered stations. You're charging me for text messages.  Data is data.  you charge the sending and receiving of SMS messages.  I'm already paying for a data plan.  You're double-charging and double dipping. You're charging both parties on a phone call. Again, double dipping. You're charging me for using using my phone as a hotspot.  My data.  Why do you care how I use it?  Again, double dipping. You keep charging me for a phone I've already paid off. You'll subsidize my phone and amortize the difference with an elevated fee on a two year contract.  But then after two years you don't drop the fee.  Why am I still paying? So.  I've shown you the decency of avoiding all the expletives that you're inducing in me, how about the decency of a response?  I expect you won't.  I expect I'll have to settle for just this being a cathartic rant.  I expect I'll be looking into other providers. Anyone else sick of these practices?  Any solutions out there?