Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 9,042 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

flyer_andy's Posts

I have exactly this issue. I think Verizon is de-prioritizing prepaid data big time as I used to get good speeds and now see 0.3mbps as a normal thing. It's embarrassing.  I'm considering an FCC ... See more...
I have exactly this issue. I think Verizon is de-prioritizing prepaid data big time as I used to get good speeds and now see 0.3mbps as a normal thing. It's embarrassing.  I'm considering an FCC complaint as Verizon is selling prepaid LTE data packages and then severely slowing down use for prepaid customers throughout most of the day. It's fraud at some point.
Hi - I thought I'd chime in on this one as I have some experience working with "un-approved" devices on Verizon. In summary, yes...it should work as the Xperia XZ has all Verizon LTE bands (2,... See more...
Hi - I thought I'd chime in on this one as I have some experience working with "un-approved" devices on Verizon. In summary, yes...it should work as the Xperia XZ has all Verizon LTE bands (2, 4, and 13)...BUT...due to the lack of CDMA abilities, the Xperia will potentially be data-only and thus might not be able to receive and send SMS and/or voice calls except over SIP, Skype, Hangouts, or similar. You also almost certainly will not be able to activate a SIM card on Verizon with the XZ's IMEI (so you'll have to already have an active one). However, there is some good news... With Android 7.0 Nougat, it seems that Google has injected some managed provisioning coding into the firmware that allows non-Verizon-approved devices to provision for Verizon VoLTE, thus allowing for calls and texts over LTE (up until recently, only Verizon-approved devices could use Verizon VoLTE it seemed). I know for sure that the ZTE Axon 7, which is not Verizon-approved, can make and receive VoLTE calls on Verizon's network as of the Nougat update as long as the user toggles the "VoLTE Provisioned" setting in the Testing menu to force the phone to provision itself. Also...Interestingly, Verizon phones deactivate their CDMA connection when on VoLTE and effectively become GSM-only devices...so this charade that Verizon is partaking in with respect to stonewalling non-CDMA band 13 devices is really getting absurd...I wonder if the Intel-based iPhone 7 devices (which don't have CDMA but do have band 13 LTE) will force Verizon into a corner insofar as them having to start activating such GSM-only devices...here's hoping. Technically, due to FCC regulations, it's illegal for Verizon to deny any band 13 LTE-capable device proper service, but there are some fuzzy areas that make this not so cut and dry. So, anyway, long story short...with some technical tinkering (i.e., APNs, network mode tweaking (LTE/CDMA auto, Global, LTE only, etc.), VoLTE Provisioning teaking) you probably would be able to get LTE data to work on Verizon with the Xperia XZ and you *might* be able to get VoLTE to work as well, if the Xperia is capable of provisioning for it. But it's not a sure thing so be ready to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile in case Verizon doesn't work out if you elect to buy the Xperia...and if you can't switch to one of these other carriers due to coverage or other factors, I'd say that buying an XZ is a risk, especially considering the very high price of the handset. Good luck! I'd like to try an Xperia too!
The Axon 7 *does* have a full Verizon radio set. It can be used on Verizon as long as you can deal with a few quirks. Verizon doesn't block it, and it works fine, though some users occasionally s... See more...
The Axon 7 *does* have a full Verizon radio set. It can be used on Verizon as long as you can deal with a few quirks. Verizon doesn't block it, and it works fine, though some users occasionally see issues where LTE connectivity is lost temporarily and the phone reverts to 3G/1X only. A SIM reset (using a GSM SIM) seems to clear this up. The FCC docs very clearly show full Verizon support...it has LTE B13, B4, and B2, and CDMA BC 0/1/10 with EvDO rev A. It works on 1X, 3G, and LTE just fine in my own experience. But, ZTE hasn't fully enabled CDMA support in the firmware and thus there are minor bugs. So, only fairly advanced users who are comfortable with radio settings and the like should use the Axon 7 on VZW for now. Hopefully ZTE will fix this soon as this is a great phone and the Verizon reception is outstanding.