Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 7,586 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

tiredoftalus's Posts

If anyone follows the suggestion of @JULSOU38 to go into airplane mode, be sure to turn wifi back on before trying to make a call. This was a suggested to me in a Verizon chat. The problem for ... See more...
  If anyone follows the suggestion of @JULSOU38 to go into airplane mode, be sure to turn wifi back on before trying to make a call. This was a suggested to me in a Verizon chat. The problem for me is that it sometimes works, but some times I get the message that the phone cannot make a call in airplane mode.   If I get that message I will turn off wifi [while still in airplane mode] restart the phone, turn wifi on. So far this has let me make calls in wifi mode without the phone trying to connect to an inadequate mobile signal.
    Perhaps we shouldn't blame Google and Pixel phones. If you search the web, you see several brands of phone with wifi issues on verizon. Both mine and my wife's Moto Z Play Android [bought fro... See more...
    Perhaps we shouldn't blame Google and Pixel phones. If you search the web, you see several brands of phone with wifi issues on verizon. Both mine and my wife's Moto Z Play Android [bought from Verizon] have wifi connection issues. It seems that there is no way to make WIFI calling default and make the phone ignore a weak mobile signal. A verizon rep suggested airplane mode, then reconnecting to wifi. Some times worked, sometimes got the message that the phone can't make a call in airplane mode.    Here is a workaround that has worked for a few days that I read on a Motorola forum. 1. Go into airplane mode. Turn off wifi if you turned it on after entering airplane mode. 2. Restart your phone. 3. Turn wifi on. Good luck.
I only try to use wifi calling on my home network. There may have been updates about the time I noticed a problem. My wife has the same problem on her identical phone, she didn't download any app... See more...
I only try to use wifi calling on my home network. There may have been updates about the time I noticed a problem. My wife has the same problem on her identical phone, she didn't download any apps. Could this thread offer a clue? Wifi calling has stopped working   All any of us want, on multiple threads, is the ability to decide when wifi calling will be the default. Verizon forces the phone to use a mobile connection even when that connection is too weak to have a conversation. Kind of defeats the purpose of wifi calling.
I've had the same problem for months [Moto Z Play Droid]. It would try to use 1 bar of mobile signal even if it resulted in an unintelligible call. A verizon rep suggested going into airplane mod... See more...
I've had the same problem for months [Moto Z Play Droid]. It would try to use 1 bar of mobile signal even if it resulted in an unintelligible call. A verizon rep suggested going into airplane mode then turning WIFI back on. This would usually result in the message that a call can't be made in airplane mode. Twice, a chat tech would have me turn off the phone, they would"resync", then wifi calling would work. For a day or two. A minority of the time wifi calling would work, mostly not. You are not alone, we need a solution. Many of us have a specific plan and phone because we need to have wifi calling.
The phone is a Moto Z Play Droid purchased at a Verizon store 12/2117. Neither this phone or other devices have a problem with staying connecting to wifi. The phone is connected to wifi when the ... See more...
The phone is a Moto Z Play Droid purchased at a Verizon store 12/2117. Neither this phone or other devices have a problem with staying connecting to wifi. The phone is connected to wifi when the message comes up ["Airplane mode on You cannot make a call.....]    The phone is 20' from the router with no wall or obstruction.
Last two times this happened it was temporarily "fixed" by a Verizon rep via chat. I believe one of them said they would "resync" the phone. Is their a way to do this on my phone by myself? If no... See more...
Last two times this happened it was temporarily "fixed" by a Verizon rep via chat. I believe one of them said they would "resync" the phone. Is their a way to do this on my phone by myself? If not, is there a quicker way to do it without having to explain the problem for a third time? Thanks.
Last night I made a call in airplane mode with wifi turned back on. It worked fine. This morning, without changing location or any settings I see this again: "Airplane mode on You cannot make a c... See more...
Last night I made a call in airplane mode with wifi turned back on. It worked fine. This morning, without changing location or any settings I see this again: "Airplane mode on You cannot make a call while the device is in airplane mode. Would you like to turn airplane mode off?" I would not like to turn airplane mode off because the phone will connect using 1 bar of mobile signal resulting in a garbled unintelligible call.    Please Verizon, I want to be able to make a phone call from home using wifi calling.
    The workaround is not described in any of the wifi FAQ or how to pages onVerizon.com I just looked at. Any idea why this is happening to my phone and not everybody's?  What has worked for the... See more...
    The workaround is not described in any of the wifi FAQ or how to pages onVerizon.com I just looked at. Any idea why this is happening to my phone and not everybody's?  What has worked for the last three days is to not make a call in airplane mode when I'm out of range of home wifi.    " that at no point is your smartphone attempting to connect to any Wi-Fi or cellular signal simultaneously. Does this make sense?" Don't most people's phones deal with wifi and cellular signals simultaneously?    "As far as defaulting to Wi-Fi calling when mobile signal is weak, the answer to that question likely has to do with the fact that Wi-Fi calling is not supported by all devices." Mt device [Verizon branded Moto Z Play Droid] does support wifi calling.     "must be enabled via a feature from your billing." My plan includes wifi calling.    "Not to mention that if you were to switch signals mid call you would be experiencing a lot of dropped calls."    My signal wouldn't be switching at home, the only place I use wifi calling.      If I have problems again while using my simpler workaround I'll let ya'll know      
Like many of you, we have very poor mobile service at home. I got a phone and a plan that had wifi calling. Unfortunately, if there is even a weak mobile signal, the phone will use mobile, not wi... See more...
Like many of you, we have very poor mobile service at home. I got a phone and a plan that had wifi calling. Unfortunately, if there is even a weak mobile signal, the phone will use mobile, not wifi, resulting in very poor quality calls. I started a Verizon chat, hoping to find a way to use wifi calling when the mobile sigal was weak. The tech said there was not. [WHY NOT VERIZON??] She suggested a workaround. Go into airplane mode [thus ignoring the mobile signal] then re enable wifi. This worked. For months. Until this week. I tried to make a call from home home yesterday and a message came up saying that the phone can't make calls in airplane mode. I contacted Verizon again. After a long chat, the rep had me turn off the phone and did a resync? from her end. After powering up the phone I was able to make a wifi call in airplane mode. Yeah!. I asked if there was anything I could do from my end to prevent and or solve the problem if it happened again. The rep said no, the solution should be permanent. It was if permanent means less than a day. Today the problem returned. Another long chat [with the rep suggesting I buy a network extender and that wifi calling was never meant to take over for phone calls] he repeated the procedure from yesterday, and now wifi calling in airplane mode is working again. One thing that may have retriggered the problem is that when I was away for home today I tried to make a call while still in airplane mode. I got the message that the phone cannot make calls in airplane mode and asked if airplane should be turned off. I tapped OK and had a successful call over the mobile network. That was the message the phone gave me when I went back home, went into airplane, enabled wifi and tried to make a call. To sum up, my issues are 1.Why can't the phone default to wifi calling when the mobile signal is too weak for an intelligible call? 2. Why is the workaround [go into airplane, enable wifi, suggested by a Verizon rep] giving me problems?