Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,469 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

yoavp77's Posts

heres a link to an apple thread showing that vzw has unlocked all 4s for domestic sims: how to unlock iPhone 4s with verizon code | Apple Support Communities UUnfortunately I no longer have my ... See more...
heres a link to an apple thread showing that vzw has unlocked all 4s for domestic sims: how to unlock iPhone 4s with verizon code | Apple Support Communities UUnfortunately I no longer have my 4s, which I really regret, I loved its size, due to conflicting responses from vzw. i just wanted to add that I'm especially frustrated at comments by ppl like @tidbits who post messages without really knowing what they're talking about and take a clearly anti consumer position. clearly a vzw employee.
the 4s is a world phone - it supports a wide range of frequencies and is physically capable of working on all the major us carriers. i think it's clear to anyone that any restrictions ("locking")... See more...
the 4s is a world phone - it supports a wide range of frequencies and is physically capable of working on all the major us carriers. i think it's clear to anyone that any restrictions ("locking") that were placed on the phone by Apple were placed at Verizon's request. The fact that verizon doesn't have a way of unlocking the phone is entirely Verizon's own doing - they clearly did not request that apple implement a way to do this (I would wager that they specifically requested that Apple make this impossible or at least difficult). This s no different than locking a simple feature phone, and asking the manufacturer to discard the unlock code instead of making it available to the carrier or the consumer. The ctia was clever to adopt these voluntary principles before the FCC or government had a chance to regulate unlocking - this has given the carriers the freedom to interpret the rules as they see fit (verizon hasn't really committed if/when they will unlock certain devices, and sprint has actually announced it will not unlock any devices sold in the past). Never again will I purchase a locked device. 
I found the following text on vzw's site but I must confess it's not completely clear to me: http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html ... See more...
I found the following text on vzw's site but I must confess it's not completely clear to me: http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html "We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our Global Ready 3G phones, and the simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.”  If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (800)922-0204, for assistance. The SIM cards used in our 3G Global Ready phones are locked.  By the end of January, 2015, we will unlock those SIM cards at your request once you have fulfilled the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement and your balance is current."
Sprint has updated their unlock policy to indicate that they do not commit to unlocking any of their phones that were sold before February 2015 - see http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy... See more...
Sprint has updated their unlock policy to indicate that they do not commit to unlocking any of their phones that were sold before February 2015 - see http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html. I do not see a clear verizon unlocking policy anywhere. Supposedly sprint claims to not have the technological capability to unlock older phones - sounds bogus to me (didn't they establish the locking requirements in the first place..?), but they are free to do as they please since they are voluntarily adopting these unlocking rules. I wonder if the fact that the current fcc chairman is a former ctia CEO has to do with their refusal to regulate this sort of thing.
I called VZW global support asking to unlock my phone for domestic carriers. The rep, initially, said that VZW's policy has always been to refuse these requests for 3G devices (though not for 4G ... See more...
I called VZW global support asking to unlock my phone for domestic carriers. The rep, initially, said that VZW's policy has always been to refuse these requests for 3G devices (though not for 4G devices, which are domestically unlocked by default). I mentioned the new rules that are supposed to go into effect on May 11, and the rep put me on hold while he consulted other people. When he returned, he apologized for not being up to date on this - VZW is adopting new unlocking regulations that will apply to 3G devices. I asked for the exact wording of the new guidelines, but they were pretty vague about whether these will apply to some or all devices, and also regarding the timeline for when this should happen. I asked whether any information about this is available to the public on VZW's website, but was told that it is not. I believe this means that VZW is not compliant with the CTIA regulations and I have already filed a complaint with the FCC - I suggest you do the same (File Complaint | FCC.gov), although I think VZW isn't really accountable since these rules are voluntary (pretty clever of them to adopt these voluntary rules before the FCC could actually force its own regulation).
Thank you for your comments. Perhaps I should clarify my question, a bit: I own an iphone 4S that is out of contract (fully paid for), and my account is in good standing. I have requested that Ve... See more...
Thank you for your comments. Perhaps I should clarify my question, a bit: I own an iphone 4S that is out of contract (fully paid for), and my account is in good standing. I have requested that Verizon unlock it, which they have, but only for international carriers (ie, it can be used with any GSM sim, as long as its outside the US). I would like to use T-Mobile or AT&T sim occasionally when I'm travelling, and it was my understanding that these set of new principles will allow me to do so. @tidbits : Regarding exempt devices - Verizon still sells iphone 4S devices, so it seems reasonable to me that this policy should apply to new+old devices. If that is not the case, Verizon should clarify that - one of the principles Verizon has committed to is a clear and accessible unlocking policy. @elector : Regarding the date where these policies go into effect - I believe the announcement stated that half the policies go into effect by May 11th 2014, and the rest should go into effect by February 11th, 2015.
Can the vzw 4s be unlocked for use on other networks now that the May 11th deadline has passed? I don't see anything about which principles verizon has adopted from: http://www.fcc.gov/device-unl... See more...
Can the vzw 4s be unlocked for use on other networks now that the May 11th deadline has passed? I don't see anything about which principles verizon has adopted from: http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq